Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ryan Bertrand

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Up to Luke Thomas to displace him or up to Bertrand to displace Thomas? Both should probably have the mentality of proving their worthy of their place but I don't agree that Bertrand waltzes in here above Thomas based on last season.

I reckon more often than not they'll end up alongside each other with Luke in the wing back role and Ryan on the left of the 3. 

9 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

A great signing imo. 

At 31, he's still got plenty left and seems a good character, that fits in well with the squad. 

Can't see any negatives to this 

He'll be 32 by the time he next plays. A few comments on the Southampton forum about him being a bit of a mardy arse at times. Otherwise decent squad member. 

Just hope that he's not here for a final paycheck before riding off into the sunset. 

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

It's absolutely mental that my attitude how now gone from "I just want to win the FA Cup to complete the set", to "I want to win the UEFA Cup" lol

I absolutely will retire from going if we win that (it worked when I said it about the FA Cup). 

At which point you will then declare "I absolutely will retire from going if we win the ECL"

4 hours ago, SydenhamFox said:

I love Luke and want to see him develop but how costly was his naive mistake in the Chelsea game? We won’t get that from Bertrand. Points on the board trumps development, but the latter needs to happen too. 

Can’t see Bertrand making the kind of run Thomas made to score his goal at Old Trafford though, also played brilliantly and got an assist in the FA Cup Final

Yes he will no doubt make more mistakes when at such a young age early into his career, but Rodgers likes to develop these youngsters and was choosing Thomas ahead of playing Castagne or Ricardo on the left, much prefer us to stick with Thomas and use Bertrand as the rotation option

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Can’t see Bertrand making the kind of run Thomas made to score his goal at Old Trafford though, also played brilliantly and got an assist in the FA Cup Final

Yes he will no doubt make more mistakes when at such a young age early into his career, but Rodgers likes to develop these youngsters and was choosing Thomas ahead of playing Castagne or Ricardo on the left, much prefer us to stick with Thomas and use Bertrand as the rotation option

I was expecting someone to make this point and, of course, there is truth to it. But any defender’s first task is to make things safe and not take unnecessary risks in the penalty box. That moment in a crucial Chelsea game was down to his inexperience and it cost us badly. We need some experience back there, which worked so well for us in 2015/16. 
I expect Bertrand to be quite mobile still and bolster our attacking options and see Thomas needing as the apprentice figure needing to both learn from him/compete. 
Both of them are important and I hope Thomas pushes on. His uncle lived two doors from me and I love seeing a Leicester lad in the team. 

Edited by SydenhamFox

Guest SO1

I don't think Rodgers ever plays three at the back because he likes it. More that he has to out of necessity and being pragmatic. 4 3 3 has always been the go to.

11 minutes ago, SydenhamFox said:

I was expecting someone to make this point and, of course, there is truth to it. But any defender’s first task is to make things safe and not take unnecessary risks in the penalty box. That moment in a crucial Chelsea game was down to his inexperience and it cost us badly. We need some experience back there, which worked so well for us in 2015/16. 
I expect Bertrand to be quite mobile still and bolster our attacking options and see Thomas needing as the apprentice figure needing to both learn from him/compete. 
Both of them are important and I hope Thomas pushes on. His uncle lived two doors from me and I love seeing a Leicester lad in the team. 

Yes but what better time is there to help to develop a player than when he had made a mistake in an important game and probably feels like he has let us all down? We saw it with Chilwell when he was with us, or when Barnes was missing so many simple chances to score important goals, stick with the youngster and help them through it by playing them, they aren't really going to learn or develop any other way

He may have let us down at that time by giving the corner away but so did Ndidi letting his man Rudiger run free 2 yards out from goal to put it past Kasper

• Like 2

Superb signing…..quality full back who is experienced, can defend and a threat going forward. He’s a good character and provides experience to a youthful defence and will be happy to rotate whilst he’s a great role model for Thomas who in the next two seasons will grow into an automatic first choice or be replaced by a first choice full back if he does not develop.

I cannot understand how anyone would knock this signing as money can be spent elsewhere, we continue developing youth whilst having an experienced alternative - we beat other clubs again and are really now beginning to worry the Top 6!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

He'll be 32 by the time he next plays. A few comments on the Southampton forum about him being a bit of a mardy arse at times. Otherwise decent squad member. 

Just hope that he's not here for a final paycheck before riding off into the sunset. 

Maybe the saints fans are just a bit bitter? 

They were certainly a very good and a very bad side, in equal measures last season. 

From being top at one point and a match for anyone, to going on a horrendous run. 

Would have been very frustrating for players and fans alike. 

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Yes but what better time is there to help to develop a player than when he had made a mistake in an important game and probably feels like he has let us all down? We saw it with Chilwell when he was with us, or when Barnes was missing so many simple chances to score important goals, stick with the youngster and help them through it by playing them, they aren't really going to learn or develop any other way

He may have let us down at that time by giving the corner away but so did Ndidi letting his man Rudiger run free 2 yards out from goal to put it past Kasper

Good points well made 👍🏻

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SydenhamFox said:

Good points well made 👍🏻

You did as well, at times it will feel better that we can fall back on the experience of someone like Bertrand in the squad, but I just hope we don't move away from giving our youth a chance even if they take a bit to get going :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I reckon more often than not they'll end up alongside each other with Luke in the wing back role and Ryan on the left of the 3. 

.. I  really hope that is not the case!!!

Any ideas to play with a back three needs to be because,  injuries has left us so decimated, that we have no choice but to implement it.

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Yeah, saw that too.  

But I'd be pretty upset as a defender, getting hammered 0-9 at least once a season, every season. 

Yeah totally get the experience thing.. could be like C Fuchs for us or do we go for Gossens the perfect full back in his prime (expensive) might not want to come us or even a Nuno Mendes. Understand young Luke Thomas is player were trying to develop also.