Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ryan Bertrand

1 minute ago, Whys it always me said:

You see this is again where we differ in views and you kind of eluded to this in your post. There was an option to play a more experienced player in RP ahead of Thomas in our biggest game of the season but Rodgers decided to go with Thomas for the reason that he was in better form than RP as you have pointed out. 

Let’s give Thomas some credit here he didn’t play because there was no one else he played because Rodgers felt he could do a better job than the other options and Thomas repaid Rogers with a fantastic performance and an assist for the winning goal. Let’s give Rogers some credit here too there was lots of disgruntled fans when that team was announced as to why Thomas was starting ahead of RP. 

He may not be your cup of tea, he’s young, made mistakes as all players do and is still learning but in my opinion he’s not as poor as you make him out to be. The comment around height you made is baseless, we were poor all season at set prices even when Thomas wasn’t in the team and aerially I don’t think Thomas is too bad. 

Time will tell....

I have just read the last few pages and am now enlightened, views range from: Bertrand is suspect and too old ,Cags and Fofana dodgy as and by the looks of it a very questionable back line! 

We're all doomed 😂

COYB

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, gerblod said:

Fofana has made some real howlers - misplaced or short passes in particular. I've not seen Thomas being anything other than focused. The game where Evans had to go off at short notice and both Fofana and Soyuncu looked as if their strings had been cut, demonstrates that neither are 100% reliable.

Thomas might be the lesser player, yet I've not seen him lose his concentration like Fofana has.

Please don't infer from that comment that I have anything less than the highest regard for Little Wes.

BR chose Thomas over Fuchs to fill the gaps in the ranks and, given his lack of experience I believe he has been an exceptional find.

Pointing out one player has made a few mistakes doesn't take away from the fact he has been the better player. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, UHDrive said:

True, it's great that fans can get along with differing views yet to have differing opinions.

My own opinion is that Thomas was played in the final because frankly their wasn't anyone else to cover that position. RP couldve gone on the right with Castagna on the left except RP has been rusty since coming back and giving the ball away etc especially in midfield with players taking the ball and running through the lines (which Thomas did quite a few times). Fuchs didn't have the legs or stamina for the game. There wasn't anyone else to put in that position. With chelseas incessant pressing game management and pace then essentially we protected Thomas with Soyuncu and Ndidi 

He’s a definitely good player but he got found out by Pepe. Rodgers took him out the team for a bit and he came back stronger. Hopefully having a more experienced option in Bertrand can help if he gets in that situation again. 

• Like 1

On 01/07/2021 at 14:23, Babylon said:

It's absolutely mental that my attitude how now gone from "I just want to win the FA Cup to complete the set", to "I want to win the UEFA Cup" lol

I absolutely will retire from going if we win that (it worked when I said it about the FA Cup). 

Can I have your ticket to the Champions League final the year after?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 01/07/2021 at 19:48, Old Fox said:

I cannot understand how anyone would knock this signing as money can be spent elsewhere, we continue developing youth whilst having an experienced alternative - we beat other clubs again and are really now beginning to worry the Top 6!!

I'll knock it. It's not just the transfer cost that counts, it's the wages. Don't rate him myself, he seems to get worse every season and he's certainly no Fuchs. But then who is?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Peterorange said:

I'll knock it. It's not just the transfer cost that counts, it's the wages. Don't rate him myself, he seems to get worse every season and he's certainly no Fuchs. But then who is?

We’re a club known for getting the most out of players - especially those who are on a downward trajectory. I think he’ll be a great signing for us. There aren’t many options for a similar cost (incl wage) and his level of experience.

2 hours ago, Peterorange said:

No Fuchs in which way? Because he’s better than Fuchs now, probably similar wages so we’ve replaced him well

On 02/07/2021 at 15:33, Babylon said:

Pointing out one player has made a few mistakes doesn't take away from the fact he has been the better player. 

It's difficult to assess between a regular and first-choice player and a stop-gap.

My whole intention, both on the LT thread and this, was to state what I thought was clear - that Thomas has been good enough and better than good enough in some matches.

My sole reason for bringing Fofana into the argument was as the closest comparison in age. Fofana occupies one of the critically important defensive positions - Thomas doesn't. When Fofana has made, albeit rare, mistakes then the negative outcome is far more obvious because of its immediacy to goal.

It's regrettable when posters exaggerate 'facts' to defend their assertions. It's a fine line between being objective and trying to prove a point. Fofana is already a remarkably accomplished player and Thomas a remarkably focused ingenue who I trust will quickly develop into an equally effective player as Fofana is.

• Like 2

It’s gonna be a long old summer! I reckon they are stalling this announcement, just to spread out the time between declaring players have signed, just to keep us all interested, stop us getting frustrated at any lack of more signings to come 🤔

52 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

It’s gonna be a long old summer! I reckon they are stalling this announcement, just to spread out the time between declaring players have signed, just to keep us all interested, stop us getting frustrated at any lack of more signings to come 🤔

Surely if that's the case they've wouldn't have announced, what would then be, our 2 marquee signings within the first 2 days of the window opening? 

I don't blame Bertrand for taking his time , this late in his career he is looking for the best money. I have no idea how much we have offered but if somebody comes in with 10 grand a week more I'm pretty sure he would go for that.