Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ryan Bertrand

Leicester are also poised to offer Bertrand, the Southampton left-back, a move to the King Power Stadium.

Bertrand will be available on a free transfer this summer and Rodgers is prioritising that position with Christian Fuchs set to bring his six-year spell to an end and James Justin recovering from a serious knee injury.

Leicester are targeting an experienced left-back to provide competition and cover and, ideally, want to offer a 12-month deal. 

At this stage it is believed Bertrand is seeking a two-year contract but he is a long-term target for Rodgers so a compromise is likely.

Leicester will face competition from other Premier League clubs for Bertrand, a former England international, who is 32 in August.

Other left-back options are being assessed by Leicester's recruitment team, including Atalanta's Robin Gosens and Sporting's Nuno Mendes.

Edited by moore_94
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Steve Earle said:

Not how I read it...

He says other left backs are being assessed names Gosens and Mendes. Can’t imagine we will get two new left backs, given Thomas, Justin and to an extent Castagne can all play there. We don’t need 5 for that position. 

Bertrand should be a no brainier for free, and if we don’t get CL I doubt we can afford Gosens money on a LB given the other positions we will want to strengthen anyway. 

7 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Leicester are also poised to offer Bertrand, the Southampton left-back, a move to the King Power Stadium.

Bertrand will be available on a free transfer this summer and Rodgers is prioritising that position with Christian Fuchs set to bring his six-year spell to an end and James Justin recovering from a serious knee injury.

Leicester are targeting an experienced left-back to provide competition and cover and, ideally, want to offer a 12-month deal. 

At this stage it is believed Bertrand is seeking a two-year contract but he is a long-term target for Rodgers so a compromise is likely.

Leicester will face competition from other Premier League clubs for Bertrand, a former England international, who is 32 in August.

Other left-back options are being assessed by Leicester's recruitment team, including Atalanta's Robin Gosens and Sporting's Nuno Mendes.

Gosens or Mendes if we bag CL football..... Bertrand if not lol 

Edited by dbtcity

1 minute ago, FoxesWalk said:

Bertrand on 1y deal is just delaying buying another lb, but might work out alright if Thomas steps up. 

Thomas and Bertrand until January when Justin would hopefully be back

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

He says other left backs are being assessed names Gosens and Mendes. Can’t imagine we will get two new left backs, given Thomas, Justin and to an extent Castagne can all play there. We don’t need 5 for that position. 

Bertrand should be a no brainier for free, and if we don’t get CL I doubt we can afford Gosens money on a LB given the other positions we will want to strengthen anyway. 

With respect, Mr Percy doesn't mean we are considering signing all of Gosens, Mendes and Bertrand. He is suggesting that we have a shortlist for the position which includes those three. Gosens would be the one that excites and takes the team up a level. Bertrand is the (relatively) cheap and cheerful, steady as you go option. I know which I'd prefer, but thankfully our owners need no lessons in prudent financial management form FT posters.

On another note, I’ve had a look at the Saints forum and they’re pretty complimentary of him for

his attitude and general

performance. Always good to see when a forum is sorry to see a player leave. As a back up LB we can’t be doing much wrong getting him on a free on a short term basis.

• Like 1

Makes sense to me.

Thomas is young and will only get better and, incase everyone has forgotten, Justin was the best left back in the league and about to walk into a starting Euro 2021 spot before he got injured. So signing someone of Gosens/Gomes ilk might not make sense in the long term when we already have the quality here.

• Like 2

Providing his arrival does not hold anyone back or use up valuable wages that could be better spent elsewhere,  I could change my mind about this.  but WTF do I know.

Not a very exciting addition.

In BR we trust.

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Makes sense to me.

Thomas is young and will only get better and, incase everyone has forgotten, Justin was the best left back in the league and about to walk into a starting Euro 2021 spot before he got injured. So signing someone of Gosens/Gomes ilk might not make sense in the long term when we already have the quality here.

Thomas and Bertrand, with Castagne as back up until the end of the year when JJ will hopefully be back I would be happy with

I posted this in the Gosens thread the other day, and if it is true Atalanta have an option to extend his deal by 1 year then his price to sign him this summer easily jumps up to £30m+ and when we really need other signings elsewhere, although he would be an awesome signing, it make sense to go with a signing like Bertrand

Guest Chocolate Teapot

On a freebie he'd be ace. He's still really fit and a good character apparently.

Not sure we need to 'replace' Fuchs. He hasn't been considered a left back option at all this season. 

Not sure about Bertrand, we do need a regular left footed option and someone who can play left back and wing back. But I wouldn't want to stall Thomas progression who has been inconsistent but shown ability to be just as good as Bertrand at least. I guess if it frees up transfer money elsewhere then it would be a sensible choice rather than someone like Gosens. 

• Like 1

I hop

29 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Thomas and Bertrand until January when Justin would hopefully be back

if JJ was nailed on to come back the player he was I’d be all for it but surely seeing Ricardo struggle should have us not banking on that (I do think with a pre season behind Riccy p he’ll be much better).... realistically though the next Lb we sign will probably be our main man most of next season imo

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Not an offensive transfer, some upsides as long as he comes knowing he'll be a backup. 

There won't be any backup full backs. They'll rotate constantly. All the big sides do that when you play twice a week.

Just now, Chocolate Teapot said:

There won't be any backup full backs. They'll rotate constantly. All the big sides do that when you play twice a week.

Must mean Thomas will be out on loan then, and we'll have JJ, Castagne, Ricardo and Bertrand for 2 spots.