Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ryan Bertrand

1 hour ago, DennisNedry said:

Thoroughly underwhelming signing to be honest.

A bit like Simpson was. That turned out absolutely fine.

Whilst not a marque signing, a clever signing, adding an old head to a relative inexperienced defence and a free one too.

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

As said before, what is not to like about this signing?

Three year contract for a 31-year-old who Southampton fans say has declined pretty sharply (not necessarily proof of anything) and who I have to assume will be on fairly hefty wages for a second/third choice left back. I don't think it's a bad signing but nor do I think it's incredible business and I can certainly see why some people might not be fully onboard. The posters above describing it as underwhelming and sensible respectively are probably both right.

I also think it would be received more positively if we'd already brought a winger in - as it is, we've made three signings without (so far) addressing arguably the most glaring weakness in the squad. I know that's not how transfers work and the end result is exactly the same if we sign a winger and then Bertrand, but a lot of people will see we're signing a backup defender on a free and think "yeah that's great, but where's our ****ing winger?"

3 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

Thoroughly underwhelming signing to be honest.

A great replacement for Fuchs and for free it’s a great deal. Good experience and he’ll actually play with all the game we’ve got next season. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot

33 minutes ago, Guest said:

Three year contract for a 31-year-old who Southampton fans say has declined pretty sharply (not necessarily proof of anything) and who I have to assume will be on fairly hefty wages for a second/third choice left back. I don't think it's a bad signing but nor do I think it's incredible business and I can certainly see why some people might not be fully onboard. The posters above describing it as underwhelming and sensible respectively are probably both right.

I also think it would be received more positively if we'd already brought a winger in - as it is, we've made three signings without (so far) addressing arguably the most glaring weakness in the squad. I know that's not how transfers work and the end result is exactly the same if we sign a winger and then Bertrand, but a lot of people will see we're signing a backup defender on a free and think "yeah that's great, but where's our ****ing winger?"

If you read what their fans say they're largely annoyed hes leaving. One person might say he's declined but on the whole it's very positive. He got forward less last season but the general view that was because their system didn't allow him too.

Screenshot_20210710-221817_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210710-221807_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

34 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

If you read what their fans say they're largely annoyed hes leaving. One person might say he's declined but on the whole it's very positive. He got forward less last season but the general view that was because their system didn't allow him too.

Screenshot_20210710-221817_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210710-221807_Gallery.jpg

I think it's a few more than one person saying that. All from different posters since the turn of the year:

"His ****ing half arsed performances are a “contributing factor” in our shocking league form"

"So... who’s up for three more years of a slower, more ponderous version of the player we saw tonight?"

"I think his legs have gone to be honest. He's also one of the worst 'personalities' we have, in my opinion. He is shit when the going gets tough, absolutely diabolical."

"I haven't rated him for about 2 years now. He slows us down and always looks for the easy back pass. He doesn't trust his pace and dribbling anymore."

"His decline seems to have happened quite fast...now he just seems to canter about without busting a gut."

"I don't think [his decline] has been that fast, it's just become increasingly noticeable to the point now where he is pretty awful."

"He gets into some great positions but rarely finds the right ball, becoming lax in his defending duties as well."

"Bertrand is complete pants and has been for some time."

"Get rid ASAP. Awful mentality, gives up, never gives that extra 1% we need at times."

"Shite attitude, shite desire, Shite mentality, Shite final ball, chicken shit in the tackle and legs have gone."

"I've thought for a while that he is past his sell by date, today confirmed it. Dreadful display, hopeless defensively and offered very little meaningfully going forward."

"His legs are shot and he knows it...sorry Ryan, I appreciate all you have done but you are not EPL level anymore."

"I think he's looked right off the pace, pretty much all season."

"To be honest he’s played himself out of getting that extra year...always been desperate for him to sign but now, not so much."

Obviously I've spent more than enough time on Foxestalk to know that a lot of what fans say about players is complete bollocks so I'm not reaching for the sharp objects just yet but there are a lot of not exactly glowing recommendations there. Naturally the responses to the news of him actually leaving once the season had finished are more positive because they're reflecting upon his time at the club overall and he has undoubtedly been a great player for them. Also very possible the stuff about him not being that arsed is a result of him stagnating in the same environment for a while and a change of scenery will revitalise him, who knows.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
3 minutes ago, Guest said:

I think it's a few more than one person saying that. All from different posters since the turn of the year:

"His ****ing half arsed performances are a “contributing factor” in our shocking league form"

"So... who’s up for three more years of a slower, more ponderous version of the player we saw tonight?"

"I think his legs have gone to be honest. He's also one of the worst 'personalities' we have, in my opinion. He is shit when the going gets tough, absolutely diabolical."

"I haven't rated him for about 2 years now. He slows us down and always looks for the easy back pass. He doesn't trust his pace and dribbling anymore."

"His decline seems to have happened quite fast...now he just seems to canter about without busting a gut."

"I don't think [his decline] has been that fast, it's just become increasingly noticeable to the point now where he is pretty awful."

"He gets into some great positions but rarely finds the right ball, becoming lax in his defending duties as well."

"Bertrand is complete pants and has been for some time."

"Get rid ASAP. Awful mentality, gives up, never gives that extra 1% we need at times."

"Shite attitude, shite desire, Shite mentality, Shite final ball, chicken shit in the tackle and legs have gone."

"I've thought for a while that he is past his sell by date, today confirmed it. Dreadful display, hopeless defensively and offered very little meaningfully going forward."

"His legs are shot and he knows it...sorry Ryan, I appreciate all you have done but you are not EPL level anymore."

"I think he's looked right off the pace, pretty much all season."

"To be honest he’s played himself out of getting that extra year...always been desperate for him to sign but now, not so much."

Obviously I've spent more than enough time on Foxestalk to know that a lot of what fans say about players is complete bollocks so I'm not reaching for the sharp objects just yet but there are a lot of not exactly glowing recommendations there. Naturally the responses to the news of him actually leaving once the season had finished are more positive because they're reflecting upon his time at the club overall and he has undoubtedly been a great player for them.

If there all from match threads then I suggest ignoring them.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
5 minutes ago, Guest said:

They're all from the same thread you quoted from.

All around the time he was playing....when he was playing every week in an injury ravaged generally shot Southampton team. A year ago they were asking for 30m for him.....

Guest Chocolate Teapot
4 minutes ago, Bert said:

Leicester sign experienced premier league player, champions league winning ex England international but the internet gaffers know better. 

I'm assuming it's because they've heard of him. The more obscure the better for some of our fans. It's a really smart signing imo.

Also worth saying hes meant to be pretty bright so a good character in the dressing room, and he loves a team booze up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/01/ryan-bertrand-southampton-director-of-football-ambitions-business-racism

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

Just now, Chocolate Teapot said:

I'm assuming it's because they've heard of him. The more obscure the better for some of our fans. It's a really smart signing imo.

Fully agree. We’ve got two really promising full backs In Thomas & JJ who they’ll be able to learn from. No transfer fee. I don’t see what people have to moan about. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

All around the time he was playing....when he was playing every week in an injury ravaged generally shot Southampton team. A year ago they were asking for 30m for him.....

Are the comments on how he's played over the past year not as relevant if not moreso to how he's going to perform for us than the ones looking back on his time there as a whole?

I'm not looking for an argument - you obviously think it's a really good signing, I think it's a decent one. I'm not against it and it could conceivably end up being another Jonny Evans type deal where we sign a defender just the wrong side of 30 who fans reckon has had it and it turns out to be a masterstroke. I just thought it was worth noting that their fans' views of him weren't as positive as you were making out and my initial post was a response to the question "what's not to like?" when there are clearly reasons to have reservations about it.

2 hours ago, Bert said:

Leicester sign experienced premier league player, champions league winning ex England international but the internet gaffers know better. 

You must be lost Sir, this is a fans networking site called foxestalk. 

Shall I redirect you back to policy making at LCFC Seagrave?

• Like 1

If he signs then i'll be more than happy. I can only imagine that he will come in as back up to our first choice left back so will fill the role Fuchs has had for the past couple of seasons.

In my opinion he is an upgrade on Fuchs whose legs were pretty much gone. Hopefully Ryan has a few seasons left in him.

53 minutes ago, iancognito said:

We don't need a summer of marquee signings, some positions we just need a reliable operator and he's one of those 7/10 players that just get on with the job and slot into whatever position they're asked.

Totally agree with you - except for the "7/10" part. 

This past season, Bertrand was more in the 5/10 range.