Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ryan Bertrand

In some ways I would rather this than Gosens (hear me out) in that in Thomas and Justin we have 2 quality young English fullbacks who will only get better with playing time. So whereas until Justin is back i think Thomas and Bertrand would rotate, and Thomas would therefore get a number of games, if we were to sign Gosens you would expect him to start almost every game. And as he is approaching the peak of his career this would likely limit Thomas’s progression and route into the first team. Imagine in a couple of years time having our starting full backs as Thomas + Justin. 

Seems a sensible signing to me. We have been crying out for a left footer to play the LWB role, and have seen how all other right footed players have struggled in that position. Also brings much needed experience and European experience to the team as well.

• Like 2

Goosens just sounds so good and so versatile. Thomas isn't quite ready, Justin could be over 6 months away from playing and who knows where Riccy P will be in a year. I'd rather get top quality in a position where we need so much out of a player and in a position we could quickly become light in.

21 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Must mean Thomas will be out on loan then, and we'll have JJ, Castagne, Ricardo and Bertrand for 2 spots. 

I think it is more likely we will wait until January before we would consider loaning Thomas out, as JJ won’t be back until the back end of this year, even then it may take him a few months to get back up to speed when you look at how much the same injury impacted Ricardo

• Like 1

I'm sure I've seen Bertrand play left-side centreback in a 3 for Southampton a few times (under Pochettino, perhaps?) Maybe he's a target due to this (as well as being a leftback) - in the same way Justin and Castagne have covered the right side of the three on several occasions this season... He's solid defensively and decent in the air so it'd make sense.

11 minutes ago, Poco said:

I'm sure I've seen Bertrand play left-side centreback in a 3 for Southampton a few times (under Pochettino, perhaps?) Maybe he's a target due to this (as well as being a leftback) - in the same way Justin and Castagne have covered the right side of the three on several occasions this season... He's solid defensively and decent in the air so it'd make sense.

He did under Koeman, think he played a back 3 when we beat them 1-0 in 15/16 with target at wing back.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sdb said:

Goosens just sounds so good and so versatile. Thomas isn't quite ready, Justin could be over 6 months away from playing and who knows where Riccy P will be in a year. I'd rather get top quality in a position where we need so much out of a player and in a position we could quickly become light in.

...I can't see him coming here, everything about him screams he is not someone who could fit in here!!!

It would be great to get in a high quality player but I just can not see him coming here.

Let’s be honest- Goosens was if we got CL

Bertrand will be our EL alternative...

Attacking areas is where we need a complete rethink... A winger or two, an AM and an out and out forward that starts..With JV having cameos...

and get back to playing 4 at the back...

3-5-2 is really 5-3-2 and defensive and negative and has probably cost us the Top 4

• Like 3

He's better than Fuchs is these days so in that sense it's it's upgrade. We've way more priority positions than to rinse a large chunk of our budget on a LB this summer anyway so makes sense. Although Ismail Jakobs could be got for about £12m who's got all the attributes to play LB, LWB and LM for us.

• Like 2

I’ve always  rated him for some reason , he’s never been outstanding but a very solid dependable player with bags of experience on a free . Fuchs legs have most definitely gone his hasn’t . Would I want him as first choice probable not but he is more than capable of being a good squad player . 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He’s free but don’t kid yourself that he won’t want either a massive s/o fee or v large wage because of this .....

Well yeah. Always happens with free agents. Still less than paying a transfer fee though, so makes sense to me.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

He’s free but don’t kid yourself that he won’t want either a massive s/o fee or v large wage because of this .....

He's nearing the end of what hasn't been a stellar career and he isn't playing for a top club. I doubt he'll be expecting either of the above.

7 hours ago, st albans fox said:

But I’m sure Fuchs earn a fairly decent amount, so I guess it’ll be a straight swap squad wise.

6 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

He's nearing the end of what hasn't been a stellar career and he isn't playing for a top club. I doubt he'll be expecting either of the above.

It’s just business 

If he was under contract what would you pay for him ??  Say £6m ??

he (and his agent) would expect to get  half of that in addition to a wage of 50k/week. Rumoured we are offering a two year deal. My guess is that he will only take that if the money is good because it means he has to get another deal elsewhere when he’s 33 and he’s really struggling to get a decent contract at 33. 

this is our option if we dont spend £20m on goosens (plus on a five year deal wages of £20m ) 

can see why Bertrand is attractive, even with the s/o fee as we miss out of the CL monies 

25 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s just business 

If he was under contract what would you pay for him ??  Say £6m ??

he (and his agent) would expect to get  half of that in addition to a wage of 50k/week. Rumoured we are offering a two year deal. My guess is that he will only take that if the money is good because it means he has to get another deal elsewhere when he’s 33 and he’s really struggling to get a decent contract at 33. 

this is our option if we dont spend £20m on goosens (plus on a five year deal wages of £20m ) 

can see why Bertrand is attractive, even with the s/o fee as we miss out of the CL monies 

his market value on transfer market is 9 mill so a few mill in signing on fee's won't be too bad. Can't really see us splashing out 30 mill on Goosens now unless LB becomes priority over a right winger and striker 

Don't mind this one. 

Obviously Gosens is preferable but for a non priority position, to add a good player who brings much needed experience to a squad that's about to lose its two most experienced players and who can offer good competition to Thomas and JJ without stalling their progress by keeping them out the squad every week. Also for free and less wages than it would take to lure someone like Gosens..... Bit of a no brainer really.