Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ryan Bertrand

He’s a Top 10 premier league LB, former England International, champions league winner and Europa League winner, so has some decent pedigree.

Thomas is the future LB and will come good for us in a season or two time, but right now he is a bit raw to be a first team starter, it makes sense to get an experienced player in for a season or two as Fuchs will be off, hopefully that means we don’t have to switch Ricardo and Castagne to LB again as they really are not comfortable on that flank.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

He’s a Top 10 premier league LB, former England International, champions league winner and Europa League winner, so has some decent pedigree.

Thomas is the future LB and will come good for us in a season or two time, but right now he is a bit raw to be a first team starter, it makes sense to get an experienced player in for a season or two as Fuchs will be off, hopefully that means we don’t have to switch Ricardo and Castagne to LB again as they really are not comfortable on that flank.

I'd agree with all that.  I think Bertrand is worth a 2 year contract, to give Thomas time (and help) to develop

Edited by bald reynard

He'll be fine for a couple of seasons, will get cup and EL games as well as the occasional EPL game. Much needed experience and is a model pro who has been there and done it all. As long as he doesn't want silly wages (which I don't think he will) then I'm all for this, prefer a 2 year deal rather than a 3 though.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

If Bertrand comes in, does that mean Ricardo could be sold when JJ is fit again? Going to have more full backs than Martin Allen did at this rate. 

I think there is a good chance Ricardo could be sold Summer 2022, will only have 1 year left on his deal at that point

Guest Chocolate Teapot
Just now, Babylon said:

Always made perfect sense this one, losing an old experienced head, two young players already in that position already. 

No brained. Gives us competition. Young luke can learn off him and he can ease the burden on JJ when returns.

Perfect balance. Three fullbacks, (injury permitting), in their prime. One young lad learning his craft and now one experienced head coming towards the latter end of his career. What’s not to like?