Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ryan Bertrand

I don't think he'd be a bad squad player if the wages were modest, it was a short term deal and we're in the Europa League.

We need the cover and we're not at the level yet where we can have a player that would start in most sides sat on our bench.

1 hour ago, sphericalfox said:

Why would Bertrand take 1 year deal, even if it was decent wages? Surely he can get a longer deal elsewhere and get more football too.

I think he's ok, and perhaps a stopgap til we've got a fully fit Justin/Ricardo. But I don't see this happening.

A couple of reasons might be:

Signing on fees are high for free players, so he'd get that next year too depending on who he signed for after us. 

Maybe we insert the option of a 1-year extension.

9 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

A couple of reasons might be:

Signing on fees are high for free players, so he'd get that next year too depending on who he signed for after us. 

Maybe we insert the option of a 1-year extension.

At his age you'd think he'd want the security of a reasonable length contract and playing time.

12 hours ago, sphericalfox said:

At his age you'd think he'd want the security of a reasonable length contract and playing time.

I'm sure he's financially sorted so if it's just about playing time that's more likely doing a season with us (plus European football), then moving on to somewhere else were he's more likely to get first team football. He can earn a few million and play regular football over the next three years.

If we sign Bertrand seems a big statement of intent to use Thomas regularly.

Not totally against that, thought he improved as the season went on and he looked really steady in the crucial games at the end of the season, even where others weren't playing so well. I'm not entirely convinced he's got the attributes to be a world class modern full-back but he's certainly coming along.

• Like 1

I can't imagine him only taking a year at the age of 31/32. He played most games for Southampton last season so i can't see him wanting to warm anyones bench knowing he could play first team football for a few more years before having to do that

We don’t really need Gosens. Once JJ is back (if he returns to his previous form) and Ricardo can find his form again we will still have incredible options. So Bertrand would make sense really, he is usually reliable in terms of injury, and would probably be ready to step in.

However, I feel he will command more than we are willing to offer him, so I’d actually be surprised if he joins. It’s got West Ham written all over it. 

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

This signing is spot on for me.

We had the best left back in the league until he got injured, problem is he might not be back until Christmas and even then, might be a bit like Ricardo for the rest of the campaign. 

Also means JJ can do some of his 'getting up to speed' at LCB if we're sticking with a 5, with Bertrand and Thomas at LB

Also he is technically one of BR's 'Tasted Success' quota.

"technically " is the key word - I'm sure that Southampton will have coached that winning mentality stuff out of him by now lol

9 minutes ago, surrifox said:

"technically " is the key word - I'm sure that Southampton will have coached that winning mentality stuff out of him by now lol

True lol who knows... might be like riding a bike, first sniff of a Thursday night against Levadia Tallinn and he turns into Roberto Carlos...

Ismail Jakobs is the one for me, can play at left back, wingback or left wing and is young and would cost £10m or so. What I don't want us doing is blowing £30-40m on a wingback as I can't cope with 3-4-1-2 unless we completely rip up our team and rebuild it. 

Bertrand on a free makes sense if we are looking to improve the squad overall to go back to 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 and he will cover Thomas.