Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ryan Bertrand

26 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's not in his prime is he, come on. But as a solid squad player he's useful.

I'd agree he'd be useful but part of me thinks he's just after his last pay cheque. Johnny Evans with his contract was genuinely thrilled but I can't see Bertrand with that kind of enthusiasm from what I've seen of him over his career. Never been a fan of his personally.

Danny Rose is out of contract in June.  Ex England international and he's two years younger than Ryan Bertrand.  Could provide a steady hand to guide Luke Thomas through the next year or so.  Might be worth a look.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I think that's the thinking of the club, hence it's a free signing rather than spending 25-35m on a LB, we'll probably do that in a year or two if Thomas isn't progressing as much as we'd like or we decide a player becomes available that's hugely better than Thomas.

I think he adds valuable experience, much needed with Morgan and Fuchs leaving the club. Plus, with JJ injured, we'll only have 3 full backs (one being Ricardo who is probably stilll months away from being back to his best) for the first half of next season, where we'll be competing in four competitions (five if you include the one off Community Shield), we'll definitely need another option. He'll surely be more than good enough for the early cup games, EL games against lower opposition and the occasional EPL appearance or sub appearance. Also fits into a back 4 or 5, so can play both our systems!

I believe signing him will mean that the money we'd spend on a LB will be invested into another position. Even if we don't sign him, we'll go for another LB that's cheap for a year or so, unless someone who we genuinely believe is class becomes available.

Good post.

JJ was absolutely outstanding (no exaggeration) until his injury. Thomas has the potential to be a top LB so signing a big money LB seems like overkill when we don't have an unlimited budget and need to buy in other positions.

Gosens looks a thoroughbred of a player but there are a few negatives in the deal as it stifles Thomas, we could have a firing JJ back for Christmas, he's a WB and I'm really hoping we go to a back four. He's been linked with proper elite clubs so I don't think we'd get him anyway.

Bertrand in on a 2 or 3 year deal sounds like he could do a real job for us. People are turning their noses up at a longer contract but would have said the same about Fuchs and Morgan a few years a go but even this season they had their usefulness to the squad.

Don't really trust these guys but still...

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-leicester-city-agree-to-sign-bertrand-in-major-arsenal-blow/

Sources: Leicester City agree to sign Bertrand in major Arsenal blow

Leicester City have agreed to sign Ryan Bertrand on a free transfer from Southampton, Football Insider understands.

Bertrand, 32, has attracted offers from multiple Premier League clubs, including Arsenal.

A recruitment source has told Football Insider that Leicester have been informed Bertrand has accepted their contract offer.

He is set to join Leicester when his contract expires and will become the first summer arrival at the King Power Stadium.

Brendan Rodgers is a big admirer of Bertrand and believes his vast Premier League experience will compensate for the departure of Christian Fuchs.

Fuchs leaves the club this summer after making 152 appearances for the Foxes over a six-year spell.

Bertrand remained an important player for Southampton this season as he made 29 top flight appearances.

He has made 240 appearances for the Saints since he joined the club from Chelsea in 2015.

During his time with Chelsea, Bertrand had numerous loan spells before earning a chance in the first team.

Incredibly, he made his Champions League debut in the 2011/12 final as Chelsea lifted the trophy for the first time.

He started as a left midfielder in that game but has rarely been used in that position while at Southampton.

Bertrand has played as a defender on both flanks this season and adds more versatility to Rodgers’ backline.

The defender also has six Europa League appearances to his name, something that could serve Leicester well as they again missed out on Champions League qualification.

Bertrand leaves Southampton with a record of eight goals and 20 assists over 240 outings.

36 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Danny Rose is out of contract in June.  Ex England international and he's two years younger than Ryan Bertrand.  Could provide a steady hand to guide Luke Thomas through the next year or so.  Might be worth a look.

The guy who hates football and cries if he doesn't start? Naaaah you're alright

• Haha 1

Don’t mind Bertrand you can see he’ll fit the style of play straight away. He will play a fair amount of games and it’s another decent pro for Thomas to learn off for a few seasons. Nice to actually see us doing business early.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
9 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-leicester-city-agree-to-sign-bertrand-in-major-arsenal-blow/

Leicester City have agreed to sign Ryan Bertrand on a free transfer from Southampton, Football Insider understands.

Bertrand, 32, has attracted offers from multiple Premier League clubs, including Arsenal.

A recruitment source has told Football Insider that Leicester have been informed Bertrand has accepted their contract offer.

He is set to join Leicester when his contract expires and will become the first summer arrival at the King Power Stadium.

Brendan Rodgers is a big admirer of Bertrand and believes his vast Premier League experience will compensate for the departure of Christian Fuchs.

Fuchs leaves the club this summer after making 152 appearances for the Foxes over a six-year spell.

Bertrand remained an important player for Southampton this season as he made 29 top flight appearances.

He has made 240 appearances for the Saints since he joined the club from Chelsea in 2015.

During his time with Chelsea, Bertrand had numerous loan spells before earning a chance in the first team.

Incredibly, he made his Champions League debut in the 2011/12 final as Chelsea lifted the trophy for the first time.

He started as a left midfielder in that game but has rarely been used in that position while at Southampton.

Bertrand has played as a defender on both flanks this season and adds more versatility to Rodgers’ backline.

The defender also has six Europa League appearances to his name, something that could serve Leicester well as they again missed out on Champions League qualification.

Bertrand leaves Southampton with a record of eight goals and 20 assists over 240 outings.

I really like this signing. He'll mentor young Luke perfectly and allow JJ time to recover.

10 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

He most likely coming but football insider are garbage 

22 minutes ago, filbertway said:

6 months down the line "and when Rudders is in tell him i'm looking him"

• Haha 1

How the f does a fella like you on Foxestalk have any idea what Danny rose is like as a professional. Clueless

Youre either going off what you’ve seen on the Spurs documentary where he was asking to play, is that a bad thing? All players should want to play. 
or you’re going off him needing a bit of time from levy to get his mental health right. Does that bother you? 

You have about as much idea what Danny rose is like in the workplace as he does with you. 

36 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Apologies if you know him personally and work with him closely. 

1 minute ago, TJB-fox said:

How the f does a fella like you on Foxestalk have any idea what Danny rose is like as a professional. Clueless

Youre either going off what you’ve seen on the Spurs documentary where he was asking to play, is that a bad thing? All players should want to play. 
or you’re going off him needing a bit of time from levy to get his mental health right. Does that bother you? 

You have about as much idea what Danny rose is like in the workplace as he does with you. 

Apologies if you know him personally and work with him closely. 

Alright Danny, calm down fella.

I've not seen the doc, happy for players to argue their corner. If he wants time off to get his head right, same again.

He's been quoted many times saying he doesn't really like football and you can see the amount he argues with other players on the pitch that he's a bit of a nob head. Not my cup of tea at all. Hardly mentor material is he.

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

I hear he’s going to Milan 👀👀

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Alright Danny, calm down fella.

I've not seen the doc, happy for players to argue their corner. If he wants time off to get his head right, same again.

He's been quoted many times saying he doesn't really like football and you can see the amount he argues with other players on the pitch that he's a bit of a nob head. Not my cup of tea at all. Hardly mentor material is he.

Just makes me LOL when people seem to know so much about what footballers are like having never met them or worked with them 

3 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Just makes me LOL when people seem to know so much about what footballers are like having never met them or worked with them 

In the grand scheme of things, my opinion won't have one iota of impact, so I don't need to look into these things with anymore than gut feeling and what I see on the surface :D

I'm sure I'd exercise more attention to detail if I had a say in actual matters haha.

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

In the grand scheme of things, my opinion won't have one iota of impact, so I don't need to look into these things with anymore than gut feeling and what I see on the surface :D

I'm sure I'd exercise more attention to detail if I had a say in actual matters haha.

Yeah fair enough mate. I’ve got to be honest personally I’m not over-enamoured at the thought of signing rose or bertrand! Although Maybe it’d be good to have an experienced left footed leftback for a year or two until Thomas is up (closer) to his full potential. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

I mean it wasn't like bad editing on the doc... it was pretty clear the way he acted, you wouldn't act like that in an office so why should he be excused? Then he goes off and asks Levy about AC Milan who has to keep a straight face and tell him only Bournemouth are interested and even they're not that fussed.

He also went to Newcastle and managed to fall out of favour in a team that didn't have an actual left back at the time.

He's had his off field struggles and that's awful for him, but he was a proper arse hole on that doc... we might not 'know' him, but it gave away enough about how he see's himself vs his actual ability... Newcastle stint proof of that.

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I mean it wasn't like bad editing on the doc... it was pretty clear the way he acted, you wouldn't act like that in an office so why should he be excused? Then he goes off and asks Levy about AC Milan who has to keep a straight face and tell him only Bournemouth are interested and even they're not that fussed.

He also went to Newcastle and managed to fall out of favour in a team that didn't have an actual left back at the time.

He's had his off field struggles and that's awful for him, but he was a proper arse hole on that doc... we might not 'know' him, but it gave away enough about how he see's himself vs his actual ability... Newcastle stint proof of that.

Sorry mate but that is a nonsense argument. Football is a totally different world, if you think that’s bad you’d be awfully shocked by some of the other things that goes on behind the scenes. 

Plus, you ever seen an office worker put a freekick top bins from 30 yards? :P

• Haha 1