Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Chelsea A Post Match Thread

I didn’t expect us to win this game in all honesty. 

However the overall performance wasn’t very good was it. 

Youri didn’t get going.

Maddison and Perez were largely anonymous. 

Vardy is a legend, however he’s not had a good season. In fact, he’s not been great since we went back into lockdown last year. 

About 8 minutes in we picked the ball up in their half for the first time all game. Maddison has a simple ball into the channel for Vardy to run into. Instead, he tries to nutmeg his man, loses the ball and we get countered. 

That's his game. Today was absolutely not a game for James Maddison. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

We were never going to beat them twice in 4 days. The issue here isn't losing tonight, it's the shite we've thrown away points to all season and everyone's been all "oh it's fine we'll get over the line eventually" and "have some perspective we played Hereford two decades ago". Well now it's coming home to roost. 

But tbh I'm still on cloud 9 from the weekend and I'm not too fussed tbh, made my peace with EL a couple of weeks back.

Post is spot on. Best one that describes exactly how I feel / felt last few weeks about the top 4 race.

Chelsea were superb today.  We were stretching every sinue to even keep with them and we were lucky not to be behind at half time.  The goal from a corner is tough to take and the miss from Ayoze was poor (to put it kindly).

Edited by pazzerfox

Needed someone to stand up to that **** Rudiger. Constantly body checking people, picking fights and pushing people. But we are full of soft bastards. At least Ricardo gave them a bit if aggression. 

No complaints on the result, looks like we are going to fall short again. Just don't have the the little bit extra needed. 

People will quickly jump on Maddison and Perez but Vardy offered nothing again. 

• Like 1

If we end up 5th it’s obviously what we deserve and is not a product of a poor performance this evening, 

Brendan’s starting set up was clearly wrong and the lack of change ‘till 60 mins was another example of his usual stubborn approach.

EL will be played by more experienced players next season which is a plus and at least we have our name on the FA cup.

Just now, Sly said:

I didn’t expect us to win this game in all honesty. 

However the overall performance wasn’t very good was it. 

Youri didn’t get going.

Maddison and Perez were largely anonymous. 

Vardy is a legend, however he’s not had a good season. In fact, he’s not been great since we went back into lockdown last year. 

I can see Vardy being more of a impact sub next season

4 minutes ago, sdb said:

Maddison would've been on the half way rolling around asking for a free kick. Neither good enough atm.

Maddison has quality he is just out of form.

At least there is a potential upside to playing Maddison. But I really fail to see what Perez offers 

Rodgers got this wrong.  His inclination to be conservative costed us.

We needed to play 442, start Nachos and Ricardo, exactly as I said pre match and during the match (check match thread). We did turn it around a bit after Nachos got on and Ricardo gave us more width and endeavour on the side.

Tactically Rodgers got it all wrong. By playing 3 at the back, Fofana and Soyuncu kept on being dragged out side - Chelsea kept sending balls to the sides to do so. Once they are out of position, we have holes in the backline for Chelsea to walk through. When the two wing backs are back, our midfield is too thin meaning that our lone striker (Vardy) could hardly get the ball and more importantly had to constantly come back to defend. Chelsea did not have to worry about the counter and they just piled on the pressure in our half, freely. Unfortunately, Rodgers was not brave enough to make the changes necessary early enough, until it was too late.

By introducing Nacho, not only do we have our only in form striker on the pitch who has been scoring goals, together with Vardy we could stretch Chelsea up down the pitch more. They were pushed back and this gives our midfield more room and our back line some relief. Sometimes, to be more adventurous is actually to be more defensive. Rodgers still have not learnt that being more defensive with lineup is actually inviting pressure and leaving us more exposed. This is an area he really needs to develop as a coach. This is what costed us so many games and why he bottles it over a season.

We also needed to play a back 4 as it means Fofana and Soyuncu could stay shape and in the middle as the two full backs would be there to protect the channels. Here we should have started Ricardo and play as follows:

Kasper

Castagne Fofana Soyuncu Thomas

Ricardo Ndidi Tielemans Albrighton/Perez

Nacho Vardy

This game is fully on Rodgers.  We also lost to Newcastle and drew vs Southampton because of him. We had plenty of chances to close off the season with a Top 4. We won the Cup (yay) but we have to be honest and say that Rodgers bottled Top 4 again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, jayfox26 said:

Its not just as simple as that. Of course winning the fa Cup and and finishing 5th is fantastic for our club. But the champions league gives us more finances to sign top players and also attracts top players/helps us  keep hold of our best players and manager. Finishing 5th is great. Finishing 5th twice in two seasons is great. Finishing 5th twice in 2 seasons when you were 4th for 2 whole seasons except the final day on both seasons is incredibly disappointing. I'm absolutely not taking anything away from our fa Cup win and our season as a whole, especially considering our injuries but it does not stop us from being disappointed if we miss out on champions league. 

Give over. Enjoy your life. Stop trying to create certainty in something that will always be uncertain.

If you're not able to enjoy winning the FA Cup because you're strung out on a Champions League finish, you need to have a word with yourself.

BR has to give up trying to get Maddison to work on the wing, he’s only capable of playing centrally but tbh he’s way off it at the moment and should be on the bench. Shame Iheanacho didn’t start. Can’t complain too much with BR tho - In and around the top 4 and FA Cup Winners. We were poor but ultimately we lost due to a clear dive from Werner and then due to a sitter being missed by Perez. Chilwell tho, wow, clearly Ricardo rattled by him, probably something to do with last season, maybe he was the player that Benny Boy told about his passion for Thiago Silva. Fingers crossed Mahrez rips him apart in the CL final. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisfox said:

Disappointing result tonight, but wasn't expecting anything else to be honest, Chelea away, with fans, was always going to be a nightmare, especially after beating them in the cup final.

Yes Chillwell is a little **** who deserves all he gets next season at the KP, yes Rudiger is also a **** and one of the nastiest players on the pitch tonight, but we didn't lose because of that.

Bad tactics, wrong selection, playing 3 days after a cup final win, Youri looking absolutely knackered all game, Perez being shite, Maddison still being injured and dissinterested, Vardy getting no service, Luke thomas being 19. You can point to all of those but in the end we were beaten by the better team on the night.

What worries me now, if we don't get Champions League, is who do we lose in the summer. Youri already delaying contract talks until he knows for sure, Cant see Fofana or Harvey Barnes being here either if we do miss out, plus it also limits us in the transfer market to freshen up the and strengthen the squad.

Meh, I guess being FA cup holders sweetens the pill a little.

TLDR: Perez can **** off and Chillwell's a ****

Harvey isn’t going anywhere 

little wes isn’t going anywhere 

youri is clearly having a think about something.......I heard a journo on the radio this afternoon who seemed to have some contact with YT’s people and it seems they have offers 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, LaCiudad said:

Give over. Enjoy your life. Stop trying to create certainty in something that will always be uncertain.

If you're not able to enjoy winning the FA Cup because you're strung out on a Champions League finish, you need to have a word with yourself.

Where did I say I've not/am not enjoying the fa Cup win? Its amazing. Doesnt stop people from being disappointed if we miss out on top 4.