Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Europa League - Blessing in disguise?

3 minutes ago, Collymore said:

They caught everyone by surprise to be fair. 

Could be what that dressing room needs to be fair. It was funny at the time but players like Hamza et al coming into the game just showed complete disrespect. While I was one of those fans calling them farmers and didn’t actually see any quality from them, I would hope when (if) we play this comp next year we go into every game like we did Chelsea at Wembley. Do that and we could get our first European trophy.

Edited by KFS

Money from the CL would set the club up better moving forward.  Plus there's the stigma of you were in the Top 4 all season and bottle it at the very end - again.  They do have some excuses but I wouldn't sign off on them.  As it is there's probably one more bite of the apple left before the team steps back a bit with key players leaving.  

• Like 1

Champions League is the top competition you want to be in and would have been massive for this club

However lets not deny that any form of sustained European competition (CL or EL, dunno about the new competition yet) is also great for the club

We have a much better chance of going further in the EL than the CL, we would be 4th seed in CL and there is every chance we would get a group where we get railed and finish bottom, completely different to last time we were in the CL as lets be honest we probably got the easiest group possible

But still nothing would compare to seeing us compete in the CL and hearing that music played at the King Power again

I won't be angry if we finish 5th but I would be disappointed that we have come so close and fallen at the final hurdle again, however if you had offered me 5th and winning the FA Cup at the start of the season I would have snapped your hand off, just a disappointing way we have got to it

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, KFS said:

Could be what that dressing room needs to be fair. It was funny at the time but players like Hamza et al coming into the game just showed complete disrespect. While I was one of those fans calling them farmers and didn’t actually see any quality from them, I would hope when (if) we play this comp next year we go into every game like we did Chelsea at Wembley. Do that and we could get our first European trophy.

Part of the learning process that a predominantly young squad go through. European football is as much about attitude and cunning than quality 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

They’d also had a massive winter break whereas we had been playing every four days due to a batshit crazy league schedule 

We had four players missing in one position which completely ruined our set-up.

With a normal season, and fewer teams, I think we can have a real go.

8 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Champions League is the top competition you want to be in and would have been massive for this club

However lets not deny that any form of sustained European competition (CL or EL, dunno about the new competition yet) is also great for the club

We have a much better chance of going further in the EL than the CL, we would be 4th seed in CL and there is every chance we would get a group where we get railed and finish bottom, completely different to last time we were in the CL as lets be honest we probably got the easiest group possible

But still nothing would compare to seeing us compete in the CL and hearing that music played at the King Power again

I won't be angry if we finish 5th, but I would be disappointed that we have come so close and fallen at the final hurdle again, but if you had offered me 5th and winning the FA Cup at the start of the season I would have snapped your hand off, just a disappointing way we have got to i

Winning the Cup and avoiding relegation would have done me 😉

The only pro about going into the EL instead of CL is we’ll not likely get pumped in the group stages and face a battle to qualify for the Europa league anyway :ph34r:

• Like 1

Beat Spurs and be hopefully Villa turn up (and somehow hope for a palace miracle). I won’t be too accepting just yet.

However, after reaching a certain position you wonder how we’ve ****ed it again. Can’t see us having a better chance next season as we have in this one and the last.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Unlikely seeing as Slavia Prague taught us a massive lesson.

we were going through an injury crisis and players were clearly dead on their feet at that point. our squad depth will improve again this summer and hopefully we won't have such a tough time with injuries next season

29 minutes ago, southfox66 said:

I'm not sure, if Rodgers and top players stay I'd agree with you, but if we don't get champions league it wouldn't surprise me if Rodgers decided to go and a few of our top players leaving too, who feel they have champions league quality, which a few do and the bigger club will come offering that :(

Why would Rodgers leave? He is building something special here. FA cup and two seasons finishing just outside CL places. He won’t find betters owners and we are good enough to attract decent players. 
Man U took a number of seasons in the 90’s to establish themselves in the CL. 
we are travelling in the right direction and the manger and players can see that .

Decent teams such as Lazio, Leverkusen and Braga :ph34r: to contend with it’s not the end of the world but I would rather we fully focus on the league and getting top 4, hopefully a couple of additions in the summer can help us on all fronts.

1 minute ago, Happy Fox said:

Decent teams such as Lazio, Leverkusen and Braga :ph34r: to contend with it’s not the end of the world but I would rather we fully focus on the league and getting top 4, hopefully a couple of additions in the summer can help us on all fronts.

Serious question. Do you see Rodgers hanging around to get those new signings assuming we finish 5th?