Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Europa League - Blessing in disguise?

2 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

Serious question. Do you see Rodgers hanging around to get those new signings assuming we finish 5th?

The team’s that would be interested in him are below us in the league; so that’s not going happen. Rodgers best bet is to stay with us. Untill he can prove he can make the step up and manage the likes of Manchester City and co imo

20 minutes ago, happy85 said:

One less KO stages as well next season 

Same format as champs lge 

not quite only if you win the group, you get a bye to the last 16, if you come 2nd in group you play a 3rd place team champions league team for a place in the last 16.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

The team’s that would be interested in him are below us in the league; so that’s not going happen. Rodgers best bet is to stay with us. Untill he can prove he can make the step up and manage the likes of Manchester City and co imo

Yes, but with the history of a club like Arsenal, who you have to believe will be able to not just offer him a better financial package, but more money to make exciting signings, is he going to ruminate over the Deja Vu scenario with us, knowing we just don't have the strength in depth to compete with the bigger clubs and certain players just not being up to it mentally, and the possibility of being the next Arsenal manager to deliver them glory again after Wenger? 

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

Arsenal still have a manager, Tottenham could have no European football and their best player on the way out.

Well, you get the feeling the fans want rid of Arteta and I'm sure they've been bandying about BR's name for a while now.

Only positive I can think of is that it’s an extra year of getting used to European football and the toll it takes on the squad. Our squad has been stretched so thin majority of the season by injuries but an extra summer of getting the right people in and we can realistically have a right go on a few fronts next season. 
Obviously this post is rendered pointless if we just completely drop away and finish like 12th in the league. 

Im gutted though, praying we can have a bit of luck on Sunday. 

No way. We need to break this bloody monopoly. We still.have a chance, not in our hands but the chance is still there.

Will not accept anything less than CL until the 90th minute on Sunday.

1 hour ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

Do Leicester fans STILL accept second best?

Clearly.  As witness the dozens of “it’s fine if we lose to Chelsea and bottle the CL again” posts after Saturday.

No matter how much lipstick you slap on this pig, choking away golden chances for the CL from commanding positions two years in a row is a debacle for the club.  All the rationalizations about the EL being a blessing in disguise or injuries or depth won’t change that.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 2

Falling into Europa is of course a disappointment to me. But last season I got over that disappointment rather quickly and expect to this year as well.

But finishing in Europa is still part of the progression as a club. Remember the difference between the big 6 and the rest is more games and deeper squads to go along with the larger revenue. Now we're developing a consistency. Hopefully we can add depth this summer and be a bit better at playing 50+ games.

Instead of hoping some super signing is coming to Leicester for a one-off tour we can say we go on holiday every year! Frankly it's that consistency that makes a difference. It's why players will always sign for Arsenal or Chelsea even when they get Europa or miss out completely. They can credibly same they have the same goal year after year.

I think another problem is the contempt for the Europa League. The thing is not easy to win. Just because we have beaten all the teams in the finals doesn't mean we can do it when it really counts as the end of May. Sometimes it looks like we've played a game too many. Remember Slavia? Europa knockouts is is 9 games. And Frankly we weren't up for 2 completing on 2 other fronts.

unpopular opinion....but I dont think our current squad is ready to compete in the CL.

Now, having said that, neither was it good enough to win the league and go through in the CL 15-17 so youve got to be in it to win it.

Make the squad a little deeper, really push to win EL next year and win the CL in 24. :)

2 hours ago, Kendal Fox said:

Serious question. Do you see Rodgers hanging around to get those new signings assuming we finish 5th?

Where would he go? Arsenal? Don't make me laugh. The next "big" job he gets is likely his last chance at the top level, unless he stays with us for a few more years and really accomplishes a lot, as he has tainted history with Liverpool. He'll need to do well at the new job or will forever be typecast as a manager who is good but not cut out for the pressure of the very biggest jobs of the sport. He can speak Spanish and Italian, so he could move to another league, but realistically both leagues especially Serie A are fairly insular and are unlikely to take the chance on a British manager, especially one that hasn't shown much at the top level yet. Barcelona's new Director is unlikely to take such a risk in management after sacking Koeman, and Real Madrid don't really fit Rodgers' profile at all. Sevilla and Atletico both have fantastic managers for their teams and good projects going on. Atalanta are built around Gasperini, Inter are sorted, maybe Milan or Napoli would take him but that seems unlikely to me. 

In the UK, Manchester City, Liverpool, and Chelsea all have fantastic managers and are sorted for next season. Manchester United have hilariously thrown their faith behind Solskjaer. That leaves Arsenal and Spurs, two teams he's finished above two years in a row now, both teams with serious backroom issues that would certainly negatively affect his chances at a successful stint at either club. I would bet money on Brendan staying here at least another year. 

11 hours ago, sdb said:

CL: loads of money, better signings, more chance of keeping our best players (many of whom are 2 years away from walking away for free), and not having to play Thursday nights. Not to mention the unbelievable atmosphere we'd get 

EL is still great but let's not avoid the fact that we've missed out on the dream. Again.

Thats all at best it was ....a dream...

We competed for top 4, Bloody marvellous, where our best Player Resources availability were taken Away from Rodgers 

Not 40-50% of the season but  towards 85-90% of the season...over a long compact consertinaed  season...

just stating what the CL can give & We have put ourselves in the mix to at least to compete at this level...doesn't get it done

Shows IMO no failing or missed opportunity but more so what that Next Step to that higher level means...

In all our griping & delusional hot-air posts, over hate & dislike of the Top 6-8/ or other teams, most Posters have become soap-opera blind

forgetting & missing the normal everday dealing & reality of the game of football..

Those so called big 4  or 6 teams,when driving for those top 4 places, do play at Another level,especially the present Top 4..

We are still along Way off, over a 38, then an extra 10-20 game season..Their deep-squad quality, their actual first Team will always have that  Quality

to turn Bad periods around, & use 38 games to Drive for those expected ( entitled-expectation) Top of the table positions

Big Picture for me...We have done Bloody marvellous this season, there will always be the "what ifs"...

But if One sees any negatives towards  our achievements,  squad & manager, then they Live in that boring Realm of "entitlement"

Its Great for Sky-commentators with Top 6 bias, to turn our story into a Mobbing-style negative..

Of all people, Leicester Supporters should be Shouting from the roof-tops, what a Great Club We are,and we are Proud of our achievements,

our story of progress & to be competing at the highest level...Missed out /fail/ underachieved does Not belong in our vocabulary,

with the Exception of a few, we do Not recognise ...entitled or must...

The Top 6 can worry und collect their seasons ulcers on "their Underachieving  & failed season"

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Where would he go? Arsenal? Don't make me laugh. The next "big" job he gets is likely his last chance at the top level, unless he stays with us for a few more years and really accomplishes a lot, as he has tainted history with Liverpool. He'll need to do well at the new job or will forever be typecast as a manager who is good but not cut out for the pressure of the very biggest jobs of the sport. He can speak Spanish and Italian, so he could move to another league, but realistically both leagues especially Serie A are fairly insular and are unlikely to take the chance on a British manager, especially one that hasn't shown much at the top level yet. Barcelona's new Director is unlikely to take such a risk in management after sacking Koeman, and Real Madrid don't really fit Rodgers' profile at all. Sevilla and Atletico both have fantastic managers for their teams and good projects going on. Atalanta are built around Gasperini, Inter are sorted, maybe Milan or Napoli would take him but that seems unlikely to me. 

In the UK, Manchester City, Liverpool, and Chelsea all have fantastic managers and are sorted for next season. Manchester United have hilariously thrown their faith behind Solskjaer. That leaves Arsenal and Spurs, two teams he's finished above two years in a row now, both teams with serious backroom issues that would certainly negatively affect his chances at a successful stint at either club. I would bet money on Brendan staying here at least another year. 

I like your post, and like you, Why should Rodgers Jump Ship...he is earning a Good wack, and he has something Unique here...

He can mould, create the squad to firstly compete at the higher levels & see some aspirations become reality..

Hes working probably with the best hands-on owners One could ever wish for, a solid agreeable boardroom..

He doesn't have to worry about any nonsense distracting politics,and I Doubt he has  busy-bodies intervening with his and clubs targets

He can write his own successful ,steps of achievement Story ...If he suddenly lost 3-4 Top players, against bis will then the Mindset changes..

Totally agree with your European-Club assesments..

my only gripe..I believe many are underrating Solskjaer und go OTT while trying to discredit him...

Manutd were for their tradition, in a bloody mess, probably even more than OLE could envisage...but he knew and Believed in the Spirit of the

Club & what he learnt & Trusted from Fergie..The pupil doesn't have to mirror the teacher...

I reckon he is Harder than what comes over from the media,and so far, he has sorted out alot of the nonsense & crap garbage they seemed to be carrying

I believe slowly they are again playing meanful and entertaining Football there was & will be further  hiccups, but  believe he has the Changing room,

& The Pogba historonics, he seems to be on Top of...Its something that no manager can Really control, But a clever man can use it...

Pogba seems now more settled, often it can be the agents that create disagreeable situations...

I have a sort of Love hate thoughts on Manutd, and I do like their story..!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

I like your post, and like you, Why should Rodgers Jump Ship...he is earning a Good wack, and he has something Unique here...

He can mould, create the squad to firstly compete at the higher levels & see some aspirations become reality..

Hes working probably with the best hands-on owners One could ever wish for, a solid agreeable boardroom..

He doesn't have to worry about any nonsense distracting politics,and I Doubt he has  busy-bodies intervening with his and clubs targets

He can write his own successful ,steps of achievement Story ...If he suddenly lost 3-4 Top players, against bis will then the Mindset changes..

Totally agree with your European-Club assesments..

my only gripe..I believe many are underrating Solskjaer und go OTT while trying to discredit him...

Manutd were for their tradition, in a bloody mess, probably even more than OLE could envisage...but he knew and Believed in the Spirit of the

Club & what he learnt & Trusted from Fergie..The pupil doesn't have to mirror the teacher...

I reckon he is Harder than what comes over from the media,and so far, he has sorted out alot of the nonsense & crap garbage they seemed to be carrying

I believe slowly they are again playing meanful and entertaining Football there was & will be further  hiccups, but  believe he has the Changing room,

& The Pogba historonics, he seems to be on Top of...Its something that no manager can Really control, But a clever man can use it...

Pogba seems now more settled, often it can be the agents that create disagreeable situations...

I have a sort of Love hate thoughts on Manutd, and I do like their story..!!

Solskjaer definitely gets more hate than he deserves in terms of being a manager, he is competent enough. My hate for him stems for the fact that I dislike Man Utd, but he seems to be doing the right thing for them, imo he is fulfilling a sort of Puel function for them. 

If we can keep all the squad and BR then I’ll get over no CL qualification. I suspect we’ll come under severe pressure to sell Youri, N’Didi, Barnes and little Wes. If their heads are turned or they lose faith in our ability to challenge for top 4 then we’ll be taking a huge step back in selling them. Maddison is another - he might force the issue - as he has had a disappointing season, as a player, missing out on Euros and with injuries. BR’s preferred system no longer gives him the perfect platform - essentially he has to play out of position.  BR has said he’d be interested in international management - I could see him leaving if Southgate goes. 

if we can keep it all together and add in key areas - left wing back, experience at centre back, Tielemans number 8, striker and right sided wide player then we’ll be in a position to progress again.

7 hours ago, Lesta2014 said:

We will win the Europa next season

Only if We come third in our champions league group.  We are going to be finishing 4th above Chelsea this season, so will be in the Champions league to start with.

• Haha 1

Champions League is always the target.  Europa League is a legitimate route into that competition for us, a 13 game competition with Champions League qualification.  The new format of the competition means that the group winners skip the first knock-out round and go straight to the last 16, and with a less condensed domestic season, there is no reason why we can't go all out and try to win it.

• Like 1