Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Christian Fuchs Leaving

32 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

The fans in the States are really well organised but the club goes out of there way to help them too, I said this 10 years but it's a different world in the US the way fans are treated and actively encouraged to create an atmosphere.  Its something we can only dream of here.  No wonder its taken off in the states as I said it would all those years ago.  People can mock them as much as they like but that comes from ignorance and no experience of what its really like.  

There's no question in my mind 'soccer' will surpass most other sports in the US but culturally its not the same as here where its engrained in the British people that will take a lot longer but its already happening and will only get better.

As far as attendances go, well they have a huge advantage...population, add the fact other US sports are increasingly distant to the fans, the fact NFL has had so much bad press with CTE (as a parent which sport would you want your kid playing?), cheap tickets, fantastic stadiums, a whole different style of support, a game that's over in 2 hours with no ad breaks lol.

The potential was always there they just never managed to get it right until now.

With so many places in the states desperate for an MLS team I wonder if they'll ever do the unamerican thing of having lower divisions and relegation/promotion.

So many American Films and TV programmes now show kids and adults playing 'soccer' as a kick about rather that their traditional sports.

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Just have to hope they don't try to change the laws of the game to suit an American audience once they achieve world football domination. 

Actually they tried that in the early years.  They would have a penalty shootout at every tied game.  These weren't ordinary penalties though they were like the ones at ice hockey where they start from further out.  But fans didn't want it.  They wanted authenticity.  It was rumoured the MLS wanted the shootout to return but fans for the most part were against it.

Edited by purpleronnie

1 minute ago, purpleronnie said:

Actually they tried that in the early years.  They would have a penalty shootout at every tied game.  These weren't ordinary penalties though they were like the ones at ice hockey where they start from further out.  But fans didn't want it.  They wanting authenticity.  It was rumoured the MLS wanted the shootout to return but fans for the most part were against it.

I remember that alongside other 'improvements' such as the creation of a 25 yard line for offsides and increasing the size of goals. 0-0 draws can be exciting. 

3 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

I’ve been following the MLS for around 3 years or so now and I actually enjoy it more than following English football now. It’s a fun league imo 

Agreed, its much more competitive too, teams have won the league one season and finished nowhere the next.  It's more fun all round.

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I remember that alongside other 'improvements' such as the creation of a 25 yard line for offsides and increasing the size of goals. 0-0 draws can be exciting. 

I did find it interesting your post about America wanting to achieve football domination.  I think you're right its just the American mindset to be the best and to control everything.  Problem the US has even if it does get the highest attendances, attracts the best players, the CONCACAF Champions League will never be seen as important as the UEFA champions league.

I'm sure that grates with those in charge at the MLS.  That's why I always thought the US would absolutely love to be involved in a world super league.  Or at the very least some kind of cup where the winners of the MLS could compete with the winners of European leagues.

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

I did find it interesting your post about America wanting to achieve football domination.  I think you're right its just the American mindset to be the best and to control everything.  Problem the US has even if it does get the highest attendances, attracts the best players, the CONCACAF Champions League will never be seen as important as the UEFA champions league.

I'm sure that grates with those in charge at the MLS.  That's why I always thought the US would absolutely love to be involved in a world super league.  Or at the very least some kind of cup where the winners of the MLS could compete with the winners of European leagues.

Even though it’s many, many years (likely many decades) away, I  think you’re onto something here.

Obviously MLS is far off (hell our teams here have enough trouble beating CONCACAF clubs) but some sort of World Super League before developing a domestic league on par with the concentration of talent in the NBA seem to be the likely long-term goals of MLS. 

Even if the best players could be recruited to the U.S., this country won’t be on that level until it produces much more talent of its own. 

For now it’s a fun and entertaining league, and Fuchs sure seems to be enjoying life and the city of Charlotte.   

On 07/03/2022 at 12:15, purpleronnie said:

This is why the FIFA World Club Cup should of been played in New York as opposed to the dictatorship with the most money. MLS gets host spot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Nick said:

**** me dead. That is painful commentary!

2 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Spanish language commentary for the 86 and 90 World Cups ruined US football commentary. They all do the "GOL" thing, and somehow think it makes them more "authentic."

strange really as that’s not the commentary I had… one of mine was J Lloyd Samuel and some other guy. All very normal sounding

32 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Impressive considering he passed away 4 years ago.

well there’s definitely a  black guy with a thick English accent called Lloyd Samuel who’s commentating on the charlotte games!

On 14/03/2022 at 11:57, st albans fox said:

Just looked and they lost to a 96 min winner …….Fuchs will relate to the mentality ……

won two on the bounce now!  Have a couple of very decent players who wouldn’t look out of place  in the championship :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...