Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Daniel James

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

He plays in Barnes position, he has shown very little on the RW. He would be ok but I would be very skeptical that he would be a good enough upgrade on Albrighton to actually bring us up a level. If we had a player of even Barnes quality on the RW, our whole attack would be very hard to stop. That's what we should be aiming for, and if they are a right winger that probably means a left-footer. 

Yea, I agree with both your point and @An Sionnach points respectively, and can see where you’re coming from. 

I guess the club might be looking at deploying him as a ball carrier? Our greatest success comes from that, Kante in the title winning season, Chilwell to a degree a few seasons back, and Castagne more recently. 

But I do agree, if I had a choice I’d rather us go for a more technical player. James won’t be coming anyway, United will now consider us a rival surely? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Yea, I agree with both your point and @An Sionnach points respectively, and can see where you’re coming from. 

I guess the club might be looking at deploying him as a ball carrier? Our greatest success comes from that, Kante in the title winning season, Chilwell to a degree a few seasons back, and Castagne more recently. 

But I do agree, if I had a choice I’d rather us go for a more technical player. James won’t be coming anyway, United will now consider us a rival surely? 

Surely that's what we signed Soumare for?

Personally cannot see this as being a realistic signing. We don't need a left sided player, Man utd unlikely to sell to a rival (unless they can get a silly fee, which we would not pay), would probably have high wage demands after being at Utd and just does not fit with the style of play we seem to be aiming for.

Not for me, but if we do go for him, then like everyone else that pulls on the shirt i would be behind him and at least give him him the chance to prove that he has what it takes.

18 hours ago, urban fox said:

Man utd unlikely to sell to a rival (unless they can get a silly fee, which we would not pay), would probably have high wage demands after being at Utd and just does not fit with the style of play we seem to be aiming for.

We could win the treble 10 years in a row, and ManU would still never admit to themselves we were "a rival."

James is being offloaded -- our wages are probably better than anyone else in for him (if we are, in fact, in for him.)

Where did this myth that James is exclusively a left winger start, anyway?  77 appearances at LW career, 60 at RW.  13 at right wing last season, 11 at LW.  Do people bother to check this stuff or does everyone just believe the first bit of fiction somebody posts in a thread?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Deeg67 said:

Where did this myth that James is exclusively a left winger start, anyway?  77 appearances at LW career, 60 at RW.  13 at right wing last season, 11 at LW.  Do people bother to check this stuff or does everyone just believe the first bit of fiction somebody posts in a thread?

Wherever he starts 6 goals in about 50 matches is simply not good enough. 

8 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

How very dare you!

To be fair, I was under the impression he's barely played RW and when he does he's crap but looking in to it a bit more he's been the same on the right as he has on the left in his career, about half and half. Not that that means he's equally as good there.

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

If I didn't know better,  I'd call you a newb and welcome you to Foxestalk

Edited by majaco
Text correct spoilt it

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

I wouldn't say that he is exclusively a left winger, just that he has performed better as a left winger than he has on the right, which is not what we need.

Also those numbers include a good amount of youth appearances, in senior football the majority of his appearances have still been as a left winger, and it has also been where he has been most successful in terms of goals and assists.

Left Wing - 55 games - 9 goals and 10 assists

Right Wing - 39 games - 5 goals and 6 assists

Striker - 4 games - 0 goals

Attacking Mid - 9 games - 1 goal and 3 assists

Man Utd bought him off the back of a full season of him playing at left wing for Swansea. All but 3 of his 24 Wales appearances have been as a left winger also (not included in the above stats).

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

Can see some midtable club paying max £15m but not a penny more. Still too many unknowns about his quality. Could kick on and be an exciting player WITH and a decent end product, or just as easily not develop that and drop down to the Championship eventually 

15 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Lets not forget the two man utd rejects that got us where we are today... drinkwater and James so id def take any potential from the mutd camp.

...he did not come through their academy!!!

They picked him up from Swansea, and want to recoup their money with the, "played for Man U" premium thrown in. They have tried to develop him into a certain type of player, but it obviously has not worked, and they are now cutting their losses.

As I previously said, the only time I have seen him play well, and I felt we had made a mistake in not picking him up was, when he first went to United. He played on the left and looked an absolute handful. It looks like the edge has been taken off him and he is not the same player anymore.

He could do a job at a new club, on the left and playing a direct role without the link up play and drifting centrally to aid United's fluidity.

Kids got potential, lightning quick but end product TBC could end being decent but not champions league top draw bit like Jeff Schlupp, but could a great buy,    Id say he is worth a gamble at the 15 / 20 m point for a lot of EPL clubs but not sure we really crying out for these attributes  in his positions 

Edited by jamfox

His pace would suit us, as I feel we at times last season without Barnes and Justin we lacked thoss explosive attacks. But you need more than just pace and Soawh will give us that option now as well. I'm torn on James, a loan deal I'd be relatively happy with though.

• Like 4

Ideally every player in the PL squad should have a specific role , some more than others maybe , but players like Mendy ,Praet , Amartey and Hamza should know exactly what Rodgers wants before he uses them. In a tight squad we can't really afford players who are there " just in case " .I feel that James is that sort of player. He would be unused most of the time on a high salary. We don't really need that. It is still Pereira for me , if we can afford him.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

His pace would suit us, as I feel we at times last season without Barnes and Justin we lacked thoss explosive attacks. But you need more than just pace and Soawh will give us that option now as well. I'm torn on James, a loan deal I'd be relatively happy with though.

He is probably on our list as a potential loan deal late in the window, if we can't manage to get our primary target(s) 

He's certainly not as bad as some are making out. He just needs to work on consistency but his pace will always be a threat. 

This will probably be a case of hoping for more, but giving a deal/player like this a chance to step up and fill a gap we need filling if needed.

• Like 1