Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Daniel James

8 hours ago, weller54 said:

Explain to me and many others what Brendan sees in Perez?..

Cos I've looked high and low and cannot find f all.

High work rate and presses high up. Is he perfect, no.

• Like 1

His pace and work rate is second to none. The end product can be coached, although he's the same age as Harvey Barnes and still quite a way behind him. 

If he was left footed I'd want him, but he's not going to come here and be back up to Barnes so no point even talking about him. Leave that to Finners in the Euro 2020 thread.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We were after him before so he is on our radar, fast & direct and full of energy, I think United will want at least what they paid for him and not a loan deal. If he could play on the right when Barnes is fit again he could be a decent acquisition… 

Just now, NewquayFox said:

We were after him before so he is on our radar, fast & direct and full of energy, I think United will want at least what they paid for him and not a loan deal. If he could play on the right when Barnes is fit again he could be a decent acquisition… 

He's a left winger, please let's not make another mistake when trying to improve the main weakness in our team which is the right wing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

He's a left winger, please let's not make another mistake when trying to improve the main weakness in our team which is the right wing. 

We know we can go after Matheus Pereira but if we think we can get him cheap , we are kidding ourselves. If we are going to fill this role with a top class player , it is going to cost us 30 to 40 million.

No end product from James is the biggest FoxesTalk myth since people turned their noses up at the prospect of signing Lingard due to simular reasons.

Some of his deliveries for Wales and his assist last game of the season for United spring to mind.. a 23 year old can be coached to become more consistent with this

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

According to transfermarkt he's played 60 games at RW and 76 at LW over the course of his career, and played more on the right wing in the past 2 years. Also his output is practically the same on either wing so don't really see the problem with bringing him in as a Right winger. :dunno:

5 hours ago, gurru991 said:

He is 23 years old & what you see is what you get. Blistering speed but no end product. Final pass isn't something that can be coached, its a skill & he doesn't have it.

What utter garbage. 

You couldn't have seen Vards when he 1st arrived. 

Like a kid in a playground, kicking and chasing it. 

Turned into a world class striker due to hard work and great coaching. 

I've always felt having Kevin Phillips at the club, helped in Jamie's development and maybe Vards could help Daniel's game. 

Doubt we'll sign him anyway 😄

• Like 3

From our last Nations League game a couple months ago. 

Two beautiful crosses, one from the right off his right foot that Bale should score from in the first half. 

One assist off his left foot whilst running for Kieffer Moore at the end. Almost identical to the cross he put on Kieffer Moore's head last night that Moore really should have scored. 

Oh and a great goal in between. 

No EnD pRoDuCt. 

• Like 2

Rodgers would work wonders with him.

He has all the attributes, just needs a good coach to guide him when to conserve energy, when to press, when to make runs in behind, etc. 

Right now he’s a bit of a headless chicken, quite similar to Vardy in his first season with us. Rodgers has a good track record improving players, so I think its a good match. 

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, matty98 said:

According to transfermarkt he's played 60 games at RW and 76 at LW over the course of his career, and played more on the right wing in the past 2 years. Also his output is practically the same on either wing so don't really see the problem with bringing him in as a Right winger. :dunno:

Man Utd fans hate him when he plays on the right, he got his move from Swansea due to his devastating run of games in 2018/19 playing left wing and cutting in.

His game fits our style but we need a left footed winger, we needed 2 but Sowah is with us now. We do need a back up to Barnes but James is too good to be a back up.

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Perez bashing in every single thread is tiresome, give ita rest.

Dan James, as others have mentioned above, would in some way seem ideal, but the fact he is at Man Utd makes him out of reach due to wages I imagine 

That and they would want 40m+ for him I imagine

No chance they would get 40m for him

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Man Utd fans hate him when he plays on the right, he got his move from Swansea due to his devastating run of games in 2018/19 playing left wing and cutting in.

His game fits our style but we need a left footed winger, we needed 2 but Sowah is with us now. We do need a back up to Barnes but James is too good to be a back up.

For the record, I 90% agree with this. And he plays the majority of his games for us on the left, too, where he's very effective. 

I also don't see a single credible link linking us to James and I doubt he comes here, so it's all redundant. 

Hooooooweeeeeeverrrrrr, Ole is a fvcking shit coach that hadn't improved a single player in his entire United career. Rodgers is supposed to be in his element taking talented kids with a good work rate and the right ingredients and coaching them, if he can't get the best out of James just by playing him on the right it would be a disappointing failure on his part as much as the player. 

FWIW, I actually don't think cutting in and shooting is James' best move. I actually think stretching the play, terrorising full backs with extremely direct pace and getting in very good crosses - both floated and whipped lower - is his forte. 

I think there's actually value in having two wide players with the same foot, especially if you're playing an outright nine who is going to stretch the game vertically and spearhead your attack. 

If both of your wide players are cutting inside then your whole front three are essentially travelling towards the same space, it reduces your width and makes it very easy for a narrow defence to throw a blanket over your attack. Liverpool's two wide forwards cutting in successfully as they do work because they have a false 9 that will drop towards the ball, bringing defenders with him and creating space behind him for them to move to. 

The same is true of Aguero/Jesus who drop in to the space allowing Sterling/Foden and Mahrez/B Silva to run beyond.

If we've got Barnes looking to drive inwards in, Vardy looking to push behind the CBs, I actually think having a right footed right winger hold extreme width and stretch the game has the potential to create a lot of space. With Ricky's propensity to underlap and drive inwards on his forward runs from deep as well, the extra width from a "traditional" winger could be a real asset. 

I guess what I'm getting at here is there's more than one way to skin a cat. We need players with the right characteristics. Pace, energy, work ethic and a coachable personality are all more important in our search to occupy the RW than footedness. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, gurru991 said:

He is 23 years old & what you see is what you get. Blistering speed but no end product. Final pass isn't something that can be coached, its a skill & he doesn't have it.

...final ball can be coached!!!

There is a tendency to just play the ball into the box without seeking to pick a player out, and that is because a player fails to look up to see where his teammates are.

You can improve a player's game by just routine training with movement and the knowledge of how he fits into the team.

James probably concentrated on using his pace and being one dimensional in his thinking and his play, when you have that much pace , laying the ball off would be (for him) an afterthought, so he did not develop the skill of reading the game and linking with his teammates. 

A classic example is Ovie  Ejaria, who plays for Reading. He has great dribbling skills an absolute baller, but has no end product, you can see his teammates having to adjust to what he is doing and having to abort positions and runs they have made as he still has the ball at his feet beating countless players but just doesn't  see them.

Unless someone takes him in hand and insists he works on playing with his head up and awareness of other players he will stagnate and become one of the many players lost to the game, and no one knows why!!

His G+A stats are poor. Barnes is an academy product so it's easier to be patient with him. James is gonna cost pretty big money and I'm tired of having RWs who contribute close to **** all in G&A. We've had about 6 RWs since Mshrez left, all worse than each other. If we're gonna pay £30m+, which is what United are gonna charge us just to be petty, then I'm expecting impact pretty soon. I think we can do better and should do better than James 

Edited by Koke

51 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Hooooooweeeeeeverrrrrr, Ole is a fvcking shit coach that hadn't improved a single player in his entire United career.

Ole is terrible but he has improved Luke Shaw and Mason Greenwood. 

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Perez bashing in every single thread is tiresome, give ita rest.

Dan James, as others have mentioned above, would in some way seem ideal, but the fact he is at Man Utd makes him out of reach due to wages I imagine 

That and they would want 40m+ for him I imagine

...I  would find the price of £40m very unlikely!!!

The wages may be an issue easily avoided,  should he really want to get out of there.  Taking a drop in wage to facilitate a restart in his career is definitely the option, an example of tying yourself into a situation, you would only have to take a look at Zaha at Palace.

Cannot see his price being that high, but that will be something he has no control of and I can't see anyone being mad enough to fork out £40m just because he has Man. United on his CV even if it was a short spell.

9 minutes ago, Koke said:

Ole is terrible but he has improved Luke Shaw and Mason Greenwood. 

I'm not sure we can say that, to be honest. 

I think the academy coaches at United deserve the majority of the credit for Greenwood, Ole just had to pick him up and plug him in. 

As for Shaw, he was always a good player but he'd been on the receiving end of one of the most bizarre and complete deconstructions by a manager in modern footballing history. Mourinho took him, targeted him and systematically broke him. 

Ole just got him fit and played him and inevitably let him get a bit of confidence back. Shaw didn't need coaching, he needed love and I don't think anyone questions Oles bond with his players or the fact he's a likeable, sociable human being. 

Edited by Finnegan

7 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I  would find the price of £40m very unlikely!!!

The wages may be an issue easily avoided,  should he really want to get out of there.  Taking a drop in wage to facilitate a restart in his career is definitely the option, an example of tying yourself into a situation, you would only have to take a look at Zaha at Palace.

Cannot see his price being that high, but that will be something he has no control of and I can't see anyone being mad enough to fork out £40m just because he has Man. United on his CV even if it was a short spell.

You are probably right about 40m, but given the fact he was bought for 16m (10m + addons) 2 years ago, and he is having a decent Euro's, I am unsure how much cheaper he will be.