Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
oxford blue

Verdict on season

It seems a little early (there could be icing on the cake later this afternoon, but the Guardian have an article on fans verdict for each OF pl TEAMS.

This is Leicester:

Last season felt like an opportunity missed. But this time, while our position may end up identical, there’s growing confidence that we’ve become top-four challengers for the long run. Oh, and we finally won the FA Cup! Brendan Rodgers has done a fine job: when we click, we’re one of the best footballing sides in Europe. It’s still the case that, when we’re not at it, we can be diabolical, but if we make those kinds of performances go away, we’re on to something very good at Filbert Way once again. 9/10

Stars/flops No one stood out through the whole season but James Justin and Kelechi Iheanacho deserve a shout for their runs of form at the start and end of it respectively. As for flops, Cengiz Under arrived with a bit of continental flash but never quite made the adjustment. And then there’s Ayoze Pérez. I’ve spent much of the last two years defending him, but his off-field antics, and the missed sitter at Stamford Bridge, were probably the final nails in the coffin.

What needs to happen this summer? The rumour mill says Boubakary Soumaré and Odsonne Édouard are already LE2-bound. But Rodgers should also be looking for an experienced defensive reinforcement and a winger.

What made you smile? Wembley. Tielemans’s thunderbolt, VAR wiping Chilwell’s smug smile from his face, Iheanacho waltzing around with the trophy as a hat and Daniel Amartey, of all people, riling everyone at Chelsea with an innocuous bit of horseplay. As you can tell, I’ve enjoyed this last week.

I don't agree with comment in starts/flops as I think Tielemans  has performed at a high level all season (apart from the occasional game).

Worth adding this from the Arsenal fan:

What made you smile? As much as I despise VAR for denying fans the spontaneous ecstasy of a goal going in, watching the FA Cup final horror unfold for Chelsea fans was priceless. It almost made up for all those other VAR weekend-spoiling decisions.

• Like 4

I don't agree with the starts/flops comments either because both Tielemans and Evans have been consistent. When they play well we usually play well.

I'd also argue Rodgers has done a 10/10 job given we've won the FA Cup and finished in the top 6. The only way we could have topped that is by winning the league. Some superb results too, especially away from home, given we won at Old Trafford, Etihad, Emirates and White Hart Lane.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Numerically, 9.5/10 as it stands, 10/10 if we make CL.

Either way, Brendan and the lads have done us proud this season. Outstanding.

Couldn't agree more. 

We've got more points, won a major trophy and continued to be an absolute pain to the "big 6".  

• Thanks 1

Superb. As much as I want to get into the UCL, we have done so well regardless. Away from the pitch, it’s been a really tough for so many but some of the wins on the road and the FA Cup run has given so many people a needed lift. 

Irrespective as to what happens today I’m incredibly proud of what we have achieved this season.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc

Guest Danny Clender

I agree with all of it, except Tielemans and Schmeichel have stood out through the whole season. 

Guest Col city fan

It has to be put into context, just like last season. 
If we were being asked what would we be happy with at the START of the season, of course 5th place and FA cup would be amazing!

But like last term, we were SO comfortable in the CL spot, to go and blow it again would be a bitter pill to swallow

That’s how I see it. 

Guest StevieLynex

Top performers for us this season have been JJ, Kelechi (second half of the season), Harvey Barnes (fulfilling his undoubted potential), Castagne and Fofana. Mention to Luke Thomas for his progression.

Disappointments have been Perez (why did we pay £30m for someone we didn't need), Praet (not his fault for having limited opportunities, but same sort of feelings as Perez when we signed him - did we need that sort of midfielder, more box to box was required or invest the money towards the purchase of a top notch winger), Under (we can now understand why he didn't feature for Roma), Ricardo (the major injury he sustained last season has really taken it's toll - let's hope that he will back to his best for the new season).

Vardy was great up to his groin op. Has he lost that extra pace that was his trademark? Is he entering the autumn of his career.

Brendan delivered the FA Cup, but should have gone deeper in the Europa League and should have tied up a Champions League spot by now. Some great performances, but also some that were really dire. A feeling of 'bottling' when it really mattered, but Brendan managed to get rid of this albatross around his neck last Saturday. 

12 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It has to be put into context, just like last season. 
If we were being asked what would we be happy with at the START of the season, of course 5th place and FA cup would be amazing!

But like last term, we were SO comfortable in the CL spot, to go and blow it again would be a bitter pill to swallow

That’s how I see it. 

Not like you to cling on to the negatives mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That Tielemans isn’t being considered for the teams of the season by people is a joke. 

Similar can be said how Foden is being selected despite it effectively being a run of form as opposed to a great season......his stats are similar to our Harvey. 

Guest Col city fan
35 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Not like you to cling on to the negatives mate.

I think most of us would have said exactly the same 6/7 weeks ago

Hence, context

And I’d always rather be honest than a fanboy

Then again, it’s not over. Villa need to show up today 

Edited by Col city fan

A success. Silverware achieved. European football achieved. Amongst the plethora of severe /long-term injuries we had to endure, too. A lot of clubs would kill to be in our position. 

We've done incredibly well to remain competitive. 

Edited by StanSP
  • Like 1

Guest StevieLynex
1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

That Tielemans isn’t being considered for the teams of the season by people is a joke. 

Similar can be said how Foden is being selected despite it effectively being a run of form as opposed to a great season......his stats are similar to our Harvey. 

The media love the likes of Foden, Mount, Rees James, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Chilwell, Sancho - world beaters

21 minutes ago, sishades said:

Please explain how anyone can be pissed off with fifth and an FA Cup? 

Read it back again.

It's human nature to be disappointed when you nearly have something amazing and lose it. You sound like you're trying too hard to demonstrate you're a hard-core fan who doesn't care about CL.