Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
oxford blue

Verdict on season

We won the FA Cup!!! 

The injuries we have had this year are as bad as I can remember. Only the ‘Top 6’ with their massive overseas revenue streams have the depth of squad to cope with what we have had. 

Last season we fell apart mentally this year physically. 

• Like 2

The FA cup gets them all a free pass imo. I’ve been very critical of Brendan at times and that hasn’t gone away but the cup win gets a lot of slack.

We’ve improved from last season. We could and should have done better at certain times during the season but the improvements made from last season gives me cautious optimism that next season will continue to see us challenge.

The big thing for me is that we need more pace in the side, for the second half of the season going forwards we relied on a 35 year old to provide us with pace. If Rodgers can crack that then next season has the potential to be even better than this.

• Like 1

Difficult really. It's been an incredible season winning silverware and that is what we want to be doing.... winning trophies..... but on the otherside we've Ballsed up champions League place two years in a row and this season especially had so many opportunities to get over the line.

you can't help but feel absolutely gutted today but in a few days time reflect that's it been a brilliant season.

17 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Brighton lost 3 more games than us in the league. 

Yes, we had a lot of injuries.

Yes, 5th is good 'for Leicester'.

Yes, we won the FA Cup.

However if we're all honest, we weren't good enough to clinch Champions League football this season. Too many abject displays, too many underperforming players, and too many common shortcomings. We're very frustrating.

If we want to improve we need to shift guys like Perez, Mendy, Hamza etc. Perez cannot be in contention for a starting place next season. Barnes get injured and we look like a mid table team with no ideas, and Rodgers is forced to play 5 at the back. 

If we go into next season  without a goal scoring RW then we will have the same problems and limitations as this season

Edited by Koke
  • Like 2

Guest Col city fan
16 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I wonder whether this is what people would have said 6/7 weeks ago? Can someone put up the 'Will we finish top four' thread and lets see how many people have changed their minds

:thumbup:

:dunno:

Fantastic season .....second best in the 137 year history....

More points, fifth place, won the FA Cup, Barnes, Thomas, Fofana stars of the future, managed to not miss Wes M so another immortal replaced.

What’s not to love as we have proved we can mix it with the best and we will go again.

We have had lots of untimely injuries and the manager continues to learn - the club is in the hands of the best owners in Europe and next season we will be back to make the home stadium a fortress!

We will strengthen and every young player will see us as the place to play ..you get well coached, play in the best league, best training ground, win trophies and if you get a big big club offer we may sell you on ....

Our club is on the rise - we cannot become one of those clubs that feels entitled to be in the Top 4 ever ..we were not quite good enough but boy we had a go and we will only get better!! 

Enjoy it and reflect whilst putting all of the above in perspective!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I wonder whether this is what people would have said 6/7 weeks ago? Can someone put up the 'Will we finish top four' thread and lets see how many people have changed their minds

:thumbup:

You probably don’t need to read through the thread and establish that the majority of fans 7 weeks ago would not be happy finishing 5th. In fact, the majority of fans wouldn’t have been happy finishing 5th this morning. Actually, after the season we’ve had I don’t think any fan is looking at 5th as the perfect finish this season. 

However, that’s how it’s panned out. Twice, back to back. Unfortunately, no one can sit there and pin point one reason. Some will say injuries. Some will say the approach. Some will say fatigue. Some will say squad depth. I think everything has played a part but our level at present is 5th/6th and the EL. We don’t have the full compliment of players for the CL.

Normally (or abnormally with our history, PL win aside) top 5 and the FA cup win would be 10/10. But the struggle in the last few weeks league wise, and the loss of a glorious opportunity at 2 1 up with less than 20 minutes to go at home is enough to knock 2 off that. 

• Like 1

I think it shows how far we have come that some of us are disappointed with a 5th place finish and the FA Cup. Half way through the first half of the last game of the season we were in 3rd place in the table, even in the 2nd half we were still in 4th, but we came up just a little bit short.

The injuries we have suffered show that we are still short of squad depth, even compared to Spurs. They brought on Gareth Bale, we brought on Ayoze Perez. When Little Wes was injured we didn't have a fit centre back replacement.

However, these are problems that can be, and are being, resolved, at least according to the Transfer Forum!

I look forward with nervous anticipation for the coming season.

• Like 1

Back to back 5th place finishes plus an FA Cup - would have bitten your hand off at the start of the season.

In terms of winning domestic trophies (not Community Shield) over the past 6 seasons, we are joint 2nd with 2 wins along with:

Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd.

Man City have 9 wins

Liverpool 1 win and .....

Tottingham ... sweet FA

A bloody good season methinks.

Europa League will be better next season with fewer games. :scarf::beer:

• Like 1

Overall, massive success.

But being in the Top 4 for 98% of two seasons, and falling apart in the last few games - is shambolic.

However, the fact that people are disappointed with 5th place, and the FA cup shows how far we've come - or we're just delusional and ungrateful!

We've competed with Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U. Just look at their squads and money they've spent.

We've continued to outperform Tottenham...Arsenal....Everton. 

We won the FA cup...we came fifth again. But we did look stronger this season.

Disappointed if course...but if we're not going to spend net of a couple hundred million this year it's always going to be a tough ask.

Onwards and upwards

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, ttfn said:

In terms of the performance of the team it’s been a good season. Winning the FA Cup for the first time in the club’s history is a huge achievement and we’d have to call it a good season on that basis whether we’d finished 5th or 17th. Obviously the league form for the last couple of months have been annoying but we got injuries to the wrong players (Justin and Barnes) at the wrong time.

On a personal level I’ve found it to be an incredibly disappointing season despite our success:

Covid has left a dark cloud over the whole season, both in terms of the number of people suffering directly or indirectly and of course the empty stadiums. I struggled to “get up” for any game this season and the whole thing felt more like a commercial exercise than a sporting one.

Covid has also exacerbated the existing problems in the sport. At all levels football clubs are struggling for finance. Some in the lower leagues turned to the government for furlough, others further down the chain have turned to their communities. And of course on two separate occasions this season the “big 6” sought to consolidate their financial dominance with moves that threatened to undermine the integrity and spirit of competition first of the Premier League and then of the entire European football structure. Of course no meaningful action was taken on either occasion, the importance of “protecting the brand” and “not punishing the fans” essentially proving once and for all that these six clubs are above the law. As much as we’ve collapsed at the death 2 seasons running, any reasonable form of sporting governance would have seen meaningful points deductions to one or more of our competitors in both seasons. The latest news suggests a fine in the region of the value of 1/3 of a Manchester City reserve full back or perhaps one star player’s annual salary.

Sky, BT and the rest of the media’s moralising proved itself completely vacuous almost immediately, the relentless pandering to the supporters of the big 6 and the established narrative coming to a nadir a couple of weeks ago, and a couple of weeks after the ESL attempt, when Sky managed to devote 50 minutes of the pre-match hour on Fulham v Burnley to talking about the big 6.

We’re now into summer transfer talk season, Harry Kane being sold by the media because he “deserves to win trophies”, nobody even stopping to think for a moment that maybe there’s a reason he hasn’t won trophies when surrounded by some decent players at Spurs.

We’re arriving at a Euros with virtually every player set to participate absolutely exhausted. A euros played in half empty stadiums all over Europe running roughshod over Covid rules in place either by having way more fans inside stadiums than local governments indicate is safe in any other part of society or, here, way fewer.

And to cap it all off FIFA are now proposing to move the World Cup to every 2 years.

So as much as this has been a great season on paper for the club I will struggle to look back on it fondly on the whole.

Superb post and sums up a lot of my thoughts. Incredible the fine line between what is viewed as success and failure (in our case, two points). The overall game has got real problems and I think after the initial desperation to get back into stadia, fans complaints and gripes will return.

Off the pitch football has had an awful year. Project Big Picture and the Super League neatly brushed under carpets after the initial outrage. Even UEFA changing the format to allow former sides who've been crap a free pass is threatening competition.

Sadly, it's not the end. Something new will crop up. As for Leicester, I've just not found it that enjoyable. There's too much at stake, too much riding on it now.

42 minutes ago, Koke said:

If we want to improve we need to shift guys like Perez, Mendy, Hamza etc. Perez cannot be in contention for a starting place next season. Barnes get injured and we look like a mid table team with no ideas, and Rodgers is forced to play 5 at the back. 

If we go into next season  without a goal scoring RW then we will have the same problems and limitations as this season

We've been running on empty for a while performance wise. Post Barnes injury I think we've played well about 3 times.

100% would have taken this at the start of the season, and throw in the injuries we have had it’s been an exceptional season. Saying that, we really did struggle with the pressure at the end and something needs to change there. I know our success has come from buying young players and skilling them up, but I would like to see us get in some older, maturer players to help give some balance. 

Been a great season.

Won the FA Cup for the first time in our history.

Finished 5th for the second season and so we get another European campaign.

Schmeical, Cags, Evans, Fofana, Justin, Barnes, Ndidi, Youri all great seasons.

Really hope we can get some great new blood in to bolster the squad and we can continue to compete near the top of the PL and latter stages of cup competitions.

It's a great era for the club and I would hope the word is out among the players that it's a great club to be part of.

Another brilliant season. Yes we've come short by a point to being in the CL, but once again we've fought way above "our place" financially and won a major trophy. 

Each year we're pushing further onwards and i don't doubt we'll see advances again  

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

In terms of the performance of the team it’s been a good season. Winning the FA Cup for the first time in the club’s history is a huge achievement and we’d have to call it a good season on that basis whether we’d finished 5th or 17th. Obviously the league form for the last couple of months have been annoying but we got injuries to the wrong players (Justin and Barnes) at the wrong time.

On a personal level I’ve found it to be an incredibly disappointing season despite our success:

Covid has left a dark cloud over the whole season, both in terms of the number of people suffering directly or indirectly and of course the empty stadiums. I struggled to “get up” for any game this season and the whole thing felt more like a commercial exercise than a sporting one.

Covid has also exacerbated the existing problems in the sport. At all levels football clubs are struggling for finance. Some in the lower leagues turned to the government for furlough, others further down the chain have turned to their communities. And of course on two separate occasions this season the “big 6” sought to consolidate their financial dominance with moves that threatened to undermine the integrity and spirit of competition first of the Premier League and then of the entire European football structure. Of course no meaningful action was taken on either occasion, the importance of “protecting the brand” and “not punishing the fans” essentially proving once and for all that these six clubs are above the law. As much as we’ve collapsed at the death 2 seasons running, any reasonable form of sporting governance would have seen meaningful points deductions to one or more of our competitors in both seasons. The latest news suggests a fine in the region of the value of 1/3 of a Manchester City reserve full back or perhaps one star player’s annual salary.

Sky, BT and the rest of the media’s moralising proved itself completely vacuous almost immediately, the relentless pandering to the supporters of the big 6 and the established narrative coming to a nadir a couple of weeks ago, and a couple of weeks after the ESL attempt, when Sky managed to devote 50 minutes of the pre-match hour on Fulham v Burnley to talking about the big 6.

We’re now into summer transfer talk season, Harry Kane being sold by the media because he “deserves to win trophies”, nobody even stopping to think for a moment that maybe there’s a reason he hasn’t won trophies when surrounded by some decent players at Spurs.

We’re arriving at a Euros with virtually every player set to participate absolutely exhausted. A euros played in half empty stadiums all over Europe running roughshod over Covid rules in place either by having way more fans inside stadiums than local governments indicate is safe in any other part of society or, here, way fewer.

And to cap it all off FIFA are now proposing to move the World Cup to every 2 years.

So as much as this has been a great season on paper for the club I will struggle to look back on it fondly on the whole.

Agree with virtually all of this. I've hardly enjoyed a season less. It's affirmed beyond any doubt that I'd never be able to stop going fully.