Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
oxford blue

Verdict on season

Reading some of the recent posts in the depression thread and some of the posts in the match day thread - I understand when people say it's no good for their mental health. I suppose with the pandemic and not doing other stuff football has really taken centre stage. Another problem is that the games are on at all times and all days now so there's no escape.

I say this every season but I really will try to take less of an interest next year. I felt physically sick during the cup final and was exhausted for days afterwards. Bike rides instead of Leicester matches from mid August onwards, at least for a few months. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Corky said:

The elitism and snobbery in English football is depressing. Fuelled by Sky, mainly.

The desperation to finish 4th has changed the game for the worse. It has devalued domestic cups, made the Europa League (plus Conference now) appear a joke event and even that wasn't enough for those club executives.

My mates a non-league fan and says the exact same. The Top 4 mantra is pushed so hard by sky/BT that everything else doesn't matter. Fans seem to just lose today when you look back on your team, you don't see X number of top 4 finishes, you'll see trophies won etc. 

I hate where the game is in terms of the elite. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I think we need more of this in our game.

You know the most annoying thing? We had most of the UK media claim about taking football ‘back’ but in reality it was them wanting to reinforce and maintain their monopoly 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bovril said:

Reading some of the recent posts in the depression thread and some of the posts in the match day thread - I understand when people say it's no good for their mental health. I suppose with the pandemic and not doing other stuff football has really taken centre stage. Another problem is that the games are on at all times and all days now so there's no escape.

I say this every season but I really will try to take less of an interest next year. I felt physically sick during the cup final and was exhausted for days afterwards. Bike rides instead of Leicester matches from mid August onwards, at least for a few months. 

So true. It’s why I really don’t mind international weekends. Being at the game is so much better because it’s communal in feeling 

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You know the most annoying thing? We had most of the UK media claim about taking football ‘back’ but in reality it was them wanting to reinforce and maintain their monopoly 

It's the most apparent thing ever in hindsight. 

Not even weeks have been and gone, yet we see sky pundits saying clubs need to spend X 100's of millions to compete. 

They hated losing their revenue source, nothing about the game. 

Made me laugh seeing Jake Humphrey make out that BT were some heroes for showing games through the pandemic. Excluding the behind a pay wall aspect obviously

Just rewatching the games on MOTD and, personally, I'd rather see us fight for 5th than capitulate again. For me, it's much more demoralising to see us do so well then collapse, compared to fighting hard against the "top 4" and not quite make it but knowing we're better than 7th and below.

3 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Just rewatching the games on MOTD and, personally, I'd rather see us fight for 5th than capitulate again. For me, it's much more demoralising to see us do so well then collapse, compared to fighting hard against the "top 4" and not quite make it but knowing we're better than 7th and below.

i think i agree.to have this happen twice in a row is gutting. to have chelsea pip it too with them hardly scoring any goals and being mostly shit. i hate it

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

My mates a non-league fan and says the exact same. The Top 4 mantra is pushed so hard by sky/BT that everything else doesn't matter. Fans seem to just lose today when you look back on your team, you don't see X number of top 4 finishes, you'll see trophies won etc. 

I hate where the game is in terms of the elite. 

Guillem Balague is the chairman of Biggleswade so despite being a prominent journalist he knows all about the lower levels of the game. Not surprised he's fed up with the snobbery involved and he's also from Spain whose teams seem to take every European competition seriously.

I'm glad I never became a fan where winning trophies and appreciating all aspects of the game was secondary to existing in a bubble of smug superiority.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The majority of them were just upset that they weren't involved in the plans. The majority of them are total frauds and anyone worth their salt knew it.

As predicted, they virtually all got what they hoped for yet faced no punishment for this. Depressing yet totally predictable.

It’s a bitter bitter pill to swallow today. The old saying ‘it’s the hope that kills you’ is so true.

i almost wish Chelski had beaten villa by 3 goals before half time would have been better.

Atleast then we would have known we had no chance. We as fans have suffered watching our team capitulate in key moments through the season. The players have suffered too and picked themselves back up to go again and stay in the fight. Football can be a cruel game that’s all I can say. Today it was brutal.

lets get everyone back now fully fit and healthy. Hope we can strengthen significantly in the summer transfers! We cannot and must not go thru this again next season.

• Like 2

Just winning the FA Cup has made it a great season for me.  We've got a good manager, the best recruitment team, lots of young talent, play exciting football a lot of the time, and on our day can beat anyone.  Things are looking up, especially if we can continue to spot and develop players and take advantage of our world-class training facilities.

Sure, we've got things to work on, like all clubs.  Squad depth in a few places, taking and defending corners, defending in general (50 goals against is too many for a club with PL aspirations), and sorting out our home form. Above all I'd like a Roy Keane type in the middle of the pitch to balance out the youth - an experienced leader who can made us a bit less nice when we need to be and help us grip games and close seasons out.  

Edited by Winchesterfox

56 minutes ago, Winchesterfox said:

Just winning the FA Cup has made it a great season for me.  We've got a good manager, the best recruitment team, lots of young talent, play exciting football a lot of the time, and on our day can beat anyone.  Things are looking up, especially if we can continue to spot and develop players and take advantage of our world-class training facilities.

Sure, we've got things to work on, like all clubs.  Squad depth in a few places, taking and defending corners, defending in general (50 goals against is too many for a club with PL aspirations), and sorting out our home form. Above all I'd like a Roy Keane type in the middle of the pitch to balance out the youth - an experienced leader who can made us a bit less nice when we need to be and help us grip games and close seasons out.  

Just shows how far we have come when we are disappointed at finishing 3rd or 4th, even after winning a trophy. Was a strange thing being at the game. 

Considering out catalogue of injuries, I`d say this was an amazing season.

4 points better off in the league than last time and another major trophy in the cabinet. The squad has improved, youngers are emerging from the academy and our purchases have largely improved in value, especially Fofana.

8/10 season at least for me.

looking back,what we've done this season, in the league, cups and in europe too, and considering we havent even been able to really field a full strength team for the most part of the season too, i think weve had a good season;

for us to still have a chance at top 4 and given our ropey home form too(dont get me wrong losing it again is gutting) but im still pleased with the season we've had tbh even if it is topped with that very tiny layer of disappointment

• Like 1

With the injuries it's a minor miracle we finished 5th and won a cup, it's as simple as that. 

Yeah it's frustrating the season ended like that again, nothing wrong with feeling like that. But ultimately it was successful. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 2

Yes i was disappointed yesterday as we were so close! The season has been great and im going to be positive. The FA cup was magical and there were some massive results against the "big 6". We are on a journey and next season will be even better! I think Top will back Brendan in the transfer window and hopefully we can make some great signings and get players back from injuries. Time for them to rest, recuperate and come back fighting. Hope Youri, Timmy, Dennis, Cags, Kasper etc. have a great Euros and come back fit and well and full of confidence for next season. I'm looking forward to it, bring it on!

8 hours ago, bovril said:

Excellent post. Football has become a more intense focus in the pandemic with little let up for fans as well as players. 

I will take a great interest in the Euros being Welsh and hope we do well there as there is perhaps more of a focus here with our small size and lack of success internationally.

But the summer break is very welcome. The end of last season and this has really got into my head, not all good either.