Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
oxford blue

Verdict on season

Mentally draining for all concerned.

Yesterday was agony. Eight days earlier was ecstasy.

We’ve been through the full gamut of emotions this season. I don’t know about anyone else but at this moment I need a rest from all things Leicester City. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

With the injuries it's a minor miracle we finished 5th and won a cup, it's as simple as that. 

Yeah it's frustrating the season ended like that again, nothing wrong with feeling like that. But ultimately it was successful. 

No need for anyone else to post ..............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the cold light of the next day it is of course true that with the amount of injuries we have had getting 5th and winning our first Cup is a superb achievement.

But it's still going to take a long time to get over being just 14 minutes from getting CL football and then imploding spectacularly. Obviously the team we had out there was knackered and patched up with squad players but surely we could have made a better fist of sh1thousing our way to a win over that short period? 

Anyway, it is what it is and maybe at the moment Europa League is the right level for us.

Like others, glad of a break from it as getting this stressed over football can't be good for your health.

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

The squad will have a different look next season with a number of departures and some additions. Wes and Christian in particular have been a fantastic component of our success but can retire with our grateful thanks. JV and MA will probably play fewer games too and I suspect there will be others who will be moved on .

BR has the opportunity to rebuild and create his own team and team spirit based around a new fresh group of players and different characters. He will need the fans to show a bit of patience while he develops the side and let’s hope he gets it 

• Like 1

Yes the squad I feel will be very different now. Although yes I see the season as a success, us winning the FA cup is amazing for us. To other potential players etc it really probably has no baring. If we got CL we could attract the very top. Now with EL it's going to be harder to attract (and potentially to keep) those players. 

I have faith in our scouting system and hopefully we can unearth some more hidden gems and push on. 

28 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Mentally draining for all concerned.

Yesterday was agony. Eight days earlier was ecstasy.

We’ve been through the full gamut of emotions this season. I don’t know about anyone else but at this moment I need a rest from all things Leicester City. 

Agreed. Need a break from football to be honest. Been on the go pretty much every day this season with how cramped the whole season has been. 

Few  weeks should do it before the Euros get going! 

Guest bennytwohats

There lived an old farmer who had worked on his fields for many, many years. One day, his horse bolted away. His neighbors dropped in to commiserate with him. “What awful luck,” they tut-tutted sympathetically, to which the farmer only replied, “We’ll see.”

Next morning, to everyone’s surprise, the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. “How amazing is that!” they exclaimed in excitement. The old man replied, “We’ll see.”

A day later, the farmer’s son tried to mount one of the wild horses. He was thrown on the ground and broke his leg. Once more, the neighbors came by to express their sympathies for this stroke of bad luck. “We’ll see,” said the farmer politely.

The next day, the village had some visitors – military officers who had come with the purpose of drafting young men into the army. They passed over the farmer’s son, thanks to his broken leg. The neighbors patted the farmer on his back – how lucky he was to not have his son join the army! “We’ll see,” was all that the farmer said!

————

I thought I’d post that as I found some comfort in it this morning. It still feels bitterly disappointing, but perhaps this is another important step in our progression as a club. It felt like disappointment after THAT Watford loss a few years back but we all know what happened next. 

We’ve got an immense amount to be proud of this season, and we’ll never forget the FA cup win. But the cruel way in which the top 4 has eluded us in the final weeks has left the deficiencies of the squad there for all to see - perhaps that’s what is needed for us to reflect and carry on building?

Onwards and upwards. I’ll be taking a break to get some much needed rest and perspective over the next few weeks, but already looking forward to see what next season brings!

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

With the injuries it's a minor miracle we finished 5th and won a cup, it's as simple as that. 

Yeah it's frustrating the season ended like that again, nothing wrong with feeling like that. But ultimately it was successful. 

Had Chelsea won people would be a lot more calmer and philosophical about it. It's the fact that they lost and we were 2-1 up with 16 mins to go. But as you said it has been a successful season overall.

10 hours ago, Corky said:

The elitism and snobbery in English football is depressing. Fuelled by Sky, mainly.

The desperation to finish 4th has changed the game for the worse. It has devalued domestic cups, made the Europa League (plus Conference now) appear a joke event and even that wasn't enough for those club executives.

Getting to the UEFA Cup and winning domestic trophies used be really joyful for fans. Years if calling it the Channel 5 cup and "Enjoy playing against Swedish farmers and Turkish plumbers" jibes has denigrated a very prestigious competition. 

• Like 1

The way I look at it, we should have finished 3rd and we have ended up in 5th, that’s hard to take tbh. For whatever reason we couldn’t get over the line.

But winning the FA Cup was a blessing and has slightly masked over our drop off in the league.

It’s clear we need to improve our squad quality with first team players and hopefully we can do that in the transfer market. I do genuinely think we can finish top 4 next season with our best 11 all fit but we need reinforcements so we don’t end up in this situation again come the end of the season.

If I had to sum the season up I'd say its been an emotional rollercoaster ride which ended with a trophy but dropping out of the top 4 again in the last week of the season like last year is very poor. The players for me didn't keep their heads when they needed to...we clearly can't defend corners and lacked the in game management to see us over the line. FA Cup aside the league feels like a massive let down from the position we were in. Perhaps next season we can be the Liverpool or Man Utd and pinch top 4 in the last week as being the team chased as opposed to the chaser clearly does not suit us.

Don't know about anyone else but 100% woke up thinking 'thank god that's over' this morning. 

That felt like the longest, most involved season i've ever had with this club.... even when we won the league there were games I couldn't watch because streams crashed or I couldn't make a particular game.

But this year, every single minute of every single game has been available to us and it's been utterly exhausting! 

Personally i'm looking forward to getting back to live games, having a televised one every couple of weeks, and really enjoying match of the day again lol 

• Like 1

I am happy with 5th and the FA cup on the whole, its a great achievement but it is fact that we won only 1 of our last 5 games, lost 3 and drew 1 where we played against 10 men. For the second season running we fell short when it mattered most, one more result and we've qualified for the champions league 2 seasons running. I don't think we can blame just injuries for this, especially the Southampton and Newcastle games. We clearly lack a pitch leader, a winning mentality when the pressure is on, that extra bit of drive and determination that Liverpool have had in recent weeks. Obviously helps that they have tonnes of quality too. 

Its been a difficult season to manage for Rodgers but he has to take an element of the blame for not getting us over the line twice. He is doing an excellent job but that doesn't mean you can't criticise certain elements of his management. 

Will we get another chance? If Spurs and Arsenal continue to struggle yes, but if they get the summer right they could be challenging again and it will difficult. 

Depends if we lose players off the back of not making the CL or not sure we've progressed in terms of points but it'll mean little we have our best players poached,

if we can keep them while adding some depth this season will have almost been a miracle with the injuries considered.

It's a shame tho cos I feel like without the injuries we get the cup and CL looking good doing so,
what ever happens we've made history and competed with the big boys again.

Ultimately a very successful yet disappointing season.

We can all be proud of our club though. They’ve given everything. 

After winning the league I think we all thought it was a completely unique situation. Since then we’ve really pushed on as a club. Long may it continue.

We’re the envy of many fans in the UK - who would have thought that whilst watching Junior Lewis chasing his own shadow! 

A great season, especially considering fixture scheduling & all our injuries. The holy grail achieved in finally winning the FA Cup.

Our major problem is defending set pieces & this has cost us several goals. We badly need to get this sorted out before next season & conversely we need to improve our own delivery in offensive situations.

This is really basic stuff, especially for professional teams, but it is something we seem to be getting worse at.

Something I’ve realised is that I personally am not overly fussed about europa versus champions league, the thing that made me so depressed about bottling top 4 was the label of bottlers we’d get from the media and other fans, and the thought of those people (and plenty of our own fans tbh) trying to convince us that this season is a failure, and that we shouldn’t be immensely proud of what our club has become.

But actually we bloody should be proud. We’re the luckiest fans in England, and without the constant bombardment of negativity we get from social media we’d be in dreamland all the time. At the end of the day football isn’t about the results, it’s about the memories we make with the people we experience it all with, and for me NOTHING will overshadow the feeling of celebrating Youri’s goal with my mates and my dad, NOTHING will stop me getting excited about another European tour next season, and NOTHING will convince me not to be proud of my club.

Bring on next season, if we’re up in the top 4 again great, but if not all I hope is that I can make more memories with the people who made me fall in love with football in the first place.

• Like 3

Europa has many good quality teams who for whatever reason drop down the league one year or those that come down from the champions league. Sure it's second rate per say but when you've got manutd and villareal in the final to me clubs that COULD on any day do the same in champions league...i mean "come on lads do the maths". Lol

Not every club can be top 4. Not every big club will be top 4 every season. We have shown to consistently punch above our weight and that in itself makes me proud.  We  could be a 8th to 15th type team year in year out but how fun is that? You're basically shit without actually being shit. Heck, we could be Tottenham with feck all! But guess what, we're not.

Like anyone you can't deny failing to qualify for the champs league twice on the last day is failure. We sort our wounds out and go back at it. Foxes never quit.

While that might put a little dent in things, seeing our boys make europa again and lift that cup is a fantastic achievement for us. We are learning each year and continuing to build. With the new training grounds  and our name consistently near the top of the league, the new generation of players know who we are and that in itself is massive for recruitment.

I dont think we will ever be a so called top 6. I am happen being the kid that ruins the party every now and then. To be honest, i dont care being labeled as top 6. I just want to be the guy who ruined your dreams one year. You will always remember that when you see me, when you see the Leicester City Foxes!

I also think that i am very relaxed from all the shagging i've done over the last couple of weeks  lol. 

For my own good I'm spinning things more positively and suggest every else does too. We can't become bitter and let it ruin our summer off.

Looking forward to good news like attracting and capturing all our main targets for recruitment (no need to mention names they are all top quality).

looking forward to hearing about our young guns Harvey and JJ on track to be fully fit for the new season.

Looking forward to hearing the club announcing the contracts of our star players like Youre and N'didi

Looking forward to selling players that aren't good enough for us but could do a job for others (Hamza, Perez, Amartay etc)

Looking forward to improvements to the stadium expansion

Looking forward to seeing the new alternative kits

Looking forward to a summer off from the stress of supporting our team

I could keep going but most of all looking forward to the season where we go again and achieve the impossibles.

COYF :scarf:

Being in the Europa League took a bit of a toll injury-wise and we masked it early on in the season with good momentum and some strong performances from new signings and younger players. However, it came back to bite us hard towards the end of the season (ironically after we were out of the EL) and we couldn’t sustain it without the likes of Justin, Barnes and a fully-fit Maddison and Vardy.

In the circumstances, it’s amazing that it was close to being a monumental season - in many ways, it was with the FA Cup alone. But top three and FA Cup winners could have almost matched 2015/16. As it was, we still improved on last year points-wise and we’ll be cleverer at dealing with Europe next season. If we still have Rodgers in charge and haven’t lost our stars at the start of the season, we are definitely capable of challenging for top three again - with all the benefit of experience, more development for the youngsters and hopefully some squad strengthening.

Even in the worst case that we lose the manager (although I don’t see where he would push to go beyond one of the top four) and/or our best player in Tielemans, I feel that we’re now set up in such a way that we could both find and attract suitable replacements. We are a club where people want to be. Top is not going to sanction a breakup of the team, so max one player sold (unless we want to get rid) - possibly none at all. 

It is still far and away one of the best times in history to be a Leicester fan and we should be excited about pushing the team onto more. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Koke said:

Getting to the UEFA Cup and winning domestic trophies used be really joyful for fans. Years if calling it the Channel 5 cup and "Enjoy playing against Swedish farmers and Turkish plumbers" jibes has denigrated a very prestigious competition. 

I sort of get it when you've been in the Champions League a long time and you can look down on it. I think having us and West Ham will be good as we'll both take it seriously on the pitch and in the stands.

• Like 1

Guest ttfn

I’m really looking forward to going to some Europa League games this season.

Realistically I’m not holding my breath for away games but the home ones should also be good, especially if we can get into the knockouts.