Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
oxford blue

Verdict on season

Another way to look at it - Chelsea spent £220m odd, a net loss of £170m on getting one more point.

We had a net profit, bought in Forfana and Castagne for the cost of Chilwell, improved by four points and won the FA Cup.

In some ways we’re operating at a different level to the one we’re actually on.

Also - I never knew being a fan of a top six club was so difficult. Does this mean I have to apologise to the mates I’ve been calling glory hunters for the past few decades?

• Like 3

This was a 9.5/10 season. We won the FA cup for the first time in our history which was a magical experience and will feel better and better as time moves on. We managed to stay in the top 4 for most of the season despite losing key players at key moments in the season. Losing Forfana to injury yesterday felt like another one of those key moments. 

I went into yesterday’s game more in hope than expectation and strangely felt okay at the end. Today the reality of the result and implications set in and I am feeling more than a little gutted but I am also feeling so very proud of the players, manager, fans and everyone connected with the club. If we can hold on to our best players and build a stronger deeper squad, roll on next season!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I think we need more of this in our game.

Absolutely, I had a Man U fan trying to rinse me on Sunday for us only qualifying for the Europa Micky mouse cup.

I said “oh well, I’ve enjoyed our season but I’m glad it’s finished but have a great time in the final of the Europa Micky mouse cup on Thursday”.

Clown.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Philkeavo said:

This was a 9.5/10 season. We won the FA cup for the first time in our history which was a magical experience and will feel better and better as time moves on. We managed to stay in the top 4 for most of the season despite losing key players at key moments in the season. Losing Forfana to injury yesterday felt like another one of those key moments. 

I went into yesterday’s game more in hope than expectation and strangely felt okay at the end. Today the reality of the result and implications set in and I am feeling more than a little gutted but I am also feeling so very proud of the players, manager, fans and everyone connected with the club. If we can hold on to our best players and build a stronger deeper squad, roll on next season!

I was bitterly cheesed off yesterday but in the cold light of day I now totally agree with you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Another way to look at it - Chelsea spent £220m odd, a net loss of £170m on getting one more point.

We had a net profit, bought in Forfana and Castagne for the cost of Chilwell, improved by four points and won the FA Cup.

In some ways we’re operating at a different level to the one we’re actually on.

Also - I never knew being a fan of a top six club was so difficult. Does this mean I have to apologise to the mates I’ve been calling glory hunters for the past few decades?

How much is that 'one point more' worth?

3 hours ago, enmac said:

This shows how well we did. We got mightily close! 

Next season they will make similar predictions and if we go close and miss out we will get slated and people will  forget how well we have done.

• Like 1

Unlike some...who had their eye only  on the end position...!!

I enjoyed what Football is about,  individual games/ periods of the season ,the short & long journeys...

Verdict...We invested in & brought in extra quality....

Seen young players make their mark earlier than expected

Seen other players reach a maturity & fruitation .

Seen our experienced players ,prove their worth, even recreate themselves, or deliver solid trusting performances.und

I seen those high-octane Quality players, we believed would take us up that notch further, to give us Inspiration to compete empfiehlt

Not for Top 6 but for Top 4......

Again just Think about it, stand back, & Take it in,      a Team that could compete for Top 4.. 

IMO, with all hopes and ambitions Maybe 2-4 seasons earlier than really expected...

All I ever wanted, is a long period where we could show, with our financial-restraints, where we could Nestle in the Top 7, and compete for Europe,

the CL being an occasional Cream topping...

We Knocked & banged the door not down, but at least Off its hinges...of the top 4..

At the start of the season we were worried about injury inconveniences, but that problem,even with decent cover, ripped our own door down,.

Long chronic-injuries, not of 1 or 2, but 4-7 of our most talented players, taken out. Forced returns still didn t see, return of those usual high expected

consistent performances or form..

We would of struggled to maintain that top 4,even with a 95% fit squad...

Strangely we held that position of Hope damn well, but these last 6-8 weeks, EOS Business end, caught up with us..

Also I wonder if our ever-present, POS Tielemans, might of been struggling, with a knock or weariness...

Rather be frustrated, at the Top end of the PL instead of scratching for Survival around the Bottom 8, or moping around 9-12th..

It should hurt our players & manager, thats what happens when sportsman start to Mix it....

After the fans disapointment, (some other fans never be happy only when continual moaning )

its up to the fans, to Stand proud in their name & encourage them going into next season..

If you are a miserable git, so be it...!!

I enjoyed the season...Competed for Top 4, Ended 5th with Fingers Burnt but Europe again and that Glorious glittering FA.cup in our Trophy cabinet.

The Realisation of a New Training complex....

With a Full season of a decently fit squad, £200+Million more on the budget..We would Bloody walk it, whatever it is..!!

lets be honest, the squad-management can do something about the first hurdle, but I dont want our Club to run into those realms of finances...

Edited by fuchsntf

Guest Chocolate Teapot

The end was disappointing but considering the injuries, the fact Rodgers didn't get the recruitment he wanted last summer and the abysmal end to last season I'll take 5th and a trophy every day of the week.

It's an incredible effort.

Chelsea pay their reserves more than our first team, its literally getting harder to compete every year.

Well done brendan and the boys.....and the women's team!

In the end I believe that our failure to make a couple of signings in the last window cost us a spot in the 4 . I just can’t believe why we didn’t pick up a couple of players , I know money’s tight but in the end it’s cost us more than what we would have spent . 

• Like 1

There's a fair chance that if we did qualify for the Chumps League we would get eliminated or get demoted to the Europa League anyway. 

May aswell be there in the beginning and enjoy Donegal United, St Johnstone and Novosibirsk away. 

Money isn't everything as we have seen; just need Brendan to build a decent team again around Youri, Wilf and Fofana. 

When we went 2 - 1 up with Villa 2 up on Chelsea I was on the ceiling thinking... this time. We were just 15 minutes away from reaching the CL when calamity struck; Kasper  punched into his own net and then the ref ignored Kane's handball. I couldn't quite believe that it had happened again, but this time it was somehow even worse. We were so close you could almost taste it. I was gutted. There's no justice! Liverpool and Chelsea, who wanted no part in the CL a few short weeks ago, had qualified at our expense.

But today I was able to look beyond the emotional reaction to yesterday's 'tragic' events and fully reflect on the season just ended. It then began to sink in what this extraordinary club has achieved in this second most successful season in our history! To win the FA Cup, finish a point outside the top 4 while also getting through to the knockout stages of a European tournament is, by any standards a remarkable achievement, but with a threadbare squad crippled by injuries from first to last it is almost beyond belief. We have, once again, somehow managed to shake up the established order. In fact, if the title race was handicapped to address the imbalance of riches enjoyed by the so called 'big boys' we'd have won the Premiership title, again, by a country mile. 

Enjoy being part of this unique journey, take a summer break, and then get ready to watch the next exciting chapter of this incredible club's story unfold.

Edited by SixtiesFox

7 hours ago, Strokes said:

Absolutely, I had a Man U fan trying to rinse me on Sunday for us only qualifying for the Europa Micky mouse cup.

I said “oh well, I’ve enjoyed our season but I’m glad it’s finished but have a great time in the final of the Europa Micky mouse cup on Thursday”.

Clown.

Likely will be the first cvnt screaming and excited they won europa (if they do). Make some joke about spurs  etc.

With the Euro squads being announced, it’s worth remembering that up to the turn of the year we might reasonably have expected to see three LCFC players in the England squad based on form to that point: Justin, Barnes and Maddison. The fact that none of them will be there due to injury just highlights how much poor luck we had on that front - we could have been Man City’s closest challengers with a fit squad. 

• Like 1

New to this forum but wanted to make my point as enough is enough.

Remember who we are, where we've been and what we've achieved, we are acting like this because Brendan has failed to get us over the line.

Some of you need a reality check.

I also don't begrudge Spurs a victory, historically a great club and perhaps we should look to how things could be for us?

We are on the up

Believe @Foxes 

• Like 2

I think what killed us ultimately was the following:

Injuries, injuries and more sodding injuries. Coped well early season but blagging it with Thomas, Albrighton, Fuchs, Ndidi at CB, Amartey, Mendy, Choudhury, No wingers, Perez as a number 10 was never gonna see us over the line.

Players out of form plus players no longer favoured by Rodgers. Vardy and Maddisons form all be it due to picking up knocks halfway through the season cost us dearly. Playing like shadows of their former selves when one is/was our main goal threat and the other our main supplier was costly. In terms of out of favour players I refer to Under and Praet. Under was brought in to provide some flair and much needed backup for Maddison in the distribution department....it never worked and he became surplus. We were all crying out for Praet to return to provide much needed cover for Tielemans or an alternative but once again for whatever reason Rodgers didn't trust him. Mendy started the season great but as soon as Ndidi was back was left warming the bench and Choudhury I struggle to see what he ever offers??

Last thing goes back to point one re injuries but what I saw as the most costly Justin and Barnes....as soon as those 2 were gone our Left side was decimated. Rodgers tried Ricardo there...it failed....Castagne....it failed....finally putting young Luke Thomas there and seeing it gave us balance but with that balance and enthusiasm of youth it also meant some matches he was out of his depth or made mistakes (understandably - he's young).

Winning the FA Cup with all our problems can not be underestimated and I rename Tielemans the taxi because he's carried us the past few weeks in my humble opinion.

Edited by tickler28
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tickler28 said:

I think what killed us ultimately was the following:

Injuries, injuries and more sodding injuries. Coped well early season but blagging it with Thomas, Albrighton, Fuchs, Ndidi at CB, Amartey, Mendy, Choudhury, No wingers, Perez as a number 10 was never gonna see us over the line.

Players out of form plus players no longer favoured by Rodgers. Vardy and Maddisons form all be it due to picking up knocks halfway through the season cost us dearly. Playing like shadows of their former selves when one is/was our main goal threat and the other our main supplier was costly. In terms of out of favour players I refer to Under and Praet. Under was brought in to provide some flair and much needed backup for Maddison in the distribution department....it never worked and he became surplus. We were all crying out for Praet to return to provide much needed cover for Tielemans or an alternative but once again for whatever reason Rodgers didn't trust him. Mendy started the season great but as soon as Ndidi was back was left warming the bench and Choudhury I struggle to see what he ever offers??

Last thing goes back to point one re injuries but what I saw as the most costly Justin and Barnes....as soon as those 2 were gone our Left side was decimated. Rodgers tried Ricardo there...it failed....Castagne....it failed....finally putting young Luke Thomas there and seeing it gave us balance but with that balance and enthusiasm of youth it also meant some matches he was out of his depth or made mistakes (understandably - he's young).

Winning the FA Cup with all our problems can not be underestimated and I rename Tielemans the taxi because he's carried us the past few weeks in my humble opinion.

Players had to be picked but most seemed to take ages to get anything like and were often worse than the players they were replacing . Fuchsnever played badly and was in the side that  hammered Man c  and injuries cost us dear because Vardy and Maddison  and otherswere not the same. A bonus was Ineacho  who but for injuries would have hardly played. The FA Cup wasgreat but  Wigan won it when getting relegated and Arsenal last year were judged to have had a poor season despite winning it.

1 hour ago, Foxaholic ME said:

Players had to be picked but most seemed to take ages to get anything like and were often worse than the players they were replacing . Fuchsnever played badly and was in the side that  hammered Man c  and injuries cost us dear because Vardy and Maddison  and otherswere not the same. A bonus was Ineacho  who but for injuries would have hardly played. The FA Cup wasgreat but  Wigan won it when getting relegated and Arsenal last year were judged to have had a poor season despite winning it.

Arsenal.... one of the biggest most successful and richest clubs in the world who have never been relegated from the Premier League and can afford to spend £350,000 a week on wages for a player who didn't even make the bench.

If you're comparing us to them after 7 years in the Premier League....one of which we pulled off the great escape another which won the league and 3 where we've finished above Arsenal in the league and taken their FA Cup crown and deeming that failure you seriously need a head wobble

Edited by tickler28
  • Like 1