Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Brendan - Attacking Manager

20 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

It’s a difficult balance against top opposition. 
Ultimately what cost us is losing/dropping points against poor sides. Fulham, Southampton (against 10 men for 80 mins), Villa and Newcastle. 
Win 1 of those and we’d of done it. 

....that all makes sense and hard to argue against.....!!!

The problem is with the mentality of the team and the manager. One win against any of the the sides you mentioned would have led to our tail off even earlier, when we need to get over the line, is where we falter and it really does not matter who we are playing, as soon as we need to close out the season we can't see a way to fall over the line.

If there was a team looking like the were fighting for the top four, it wasn't us and that has to be down to our mentality, when faced with adversity.

• Like 1

I think he's certainly matured as a manager and has become a little more street wise but his style hasn't changed. 

He's always played this way. I said when when we were linked that this posetion based, slow build up was the kind of football he had been playing in his latter years at Celtic but everyone was somehow convinced that he was this all out attacking manager... I'm not really sure were this notion came from. 

That being said, I honestly believe he is up there with the best possible managers that we would be able to attract to our club. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

Losing Barnes absolutely ..... but he seems to choose not to play Praet and Under?

I'm just a fan, but as a fan can see they have both been good enough to play (and better than Perez for instance), BR think s otherwise, I guess we'll never know why

Yeah I agree that why Praet has not featured and Under's bizarre absence from the squad is weird. But Under is the real attacking outlet and it's bizarre we let Demarai Gray go in Jan if we were going to totally dismiss Under. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I think he's certainly matured as a manager and has become a little more street wise but his style hasn't changed. 

He's always played this way. I said when when we were linked that this posetion based, slow build up was the kind of football he had been playing in his latter years at Celtic but everyone was somehow convinced that he was this all out attacking manager... I'm not really sure were this notion came from. 

That being said, I honestly believe he is up there with the best possible managers that we would be able to attract to our club. 

We use to move the ball a lot quicker now we’re passive in our play.

Also our movement in and around the box was a joy to watch.

I find them times a distant past 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

In both season he did not use the Jan transfer well in my eyes, we always look weak

This is my biggest bug bear. He was open about wanting a small squad last year and didn't want to sign anyone just to do it and it went wrong with injuries. 

This year he needed to show he has learnt from that and he didn't. Annoying. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, peterborofox said:

Think he's lost the attractive football tag. I can't think of the last time we played decent football. I'm not saying it's bad right now, but it's hardly flowing. 

Not even creating chances any more. 

Another myth is that Rodgers teams get better over a season. Not in our example

3 minutes ago, dayday said:

When he first came our press and the ability to move the ball fast was enthralling to watch, now it’s like watching Puel

Disagree on both these points, that's not say you're wrong, it'd how you see it and your opinion which you're welcome to.

Last season we were far too passive, slow, tippy tappy, sideways and backwards crap.

Don't get wrong we've still had that on occasions this season and it'll come as no surprise it's usually ended with a negative result but we've moved on leaps and bounds from it imo this season, that opinion isn't just based on results either because even when we won last season I was critical of the performances alot of the time but i've been far more impressed on a whole this season.

I still don't really understand the fascination surround 'possession based football' and it still frustrates me but we've been better and its been more palatable this season for me.

I do agree with Rogers teams getting better over a season being a myth though, come the 2nd half of the season we drop off massively, 2 seasons of this is enough evidence to suggest its a myth.

16 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Seems peculiar to bemoan 5 at the back today, when you could argue it was the stubbornness to play 4 at the back today which cost us. He didn't make any formation change today to be pragmatic. 

....not sure I get this post...!!!

We played with a back three all game, am I right.

2 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

This is my biggest bug bear. He was open about wanting a small squad last year and didn't want to sign anyone just to do it and it went wrong with injuries. 

This year he needed to show he has learnt from that and he didn't. Annoying. 

Not much business was done in January by anybody. 

I do agree though, after last season, Id have thought we'd have got a couple of loans in. 

Difficult to get them though as all teams have something to fight for and are reluctant to weaken their squads. 

Just now, Hollyfox said:

Not much business was done in January by anybody. 

I do agree though, after last season, Id have thought we'd have got a couple of loans in. 

Difficult to get them though as all teams have something to fight for and are reluctant to weaken their squads. 

I know there wasn't much business done but, again, we have been undone by injuries. 2nd best season, of course, but fans will be justifiably annoyed with this oversight again. 

36 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

In both season he did not use the Jan transfer well in my eyes, we always look weak

On the other matters discussed I might agree but not this one I'm afraid because we have absolutely no idea who, if anyone, our club tried to sign and, just because you and I don't know doesn't equate to no activity. Couple with that the notoriously poor value associated with January and the fact that you can't buy what someone won't sell or who doesn't want to come and the odds of signing someone are significantly reduced. It is also a business and not a computer game, if the finances aren't right then it's wise to steer clear also. On this one point I don't think Rodgers or the club can be blamed because we don't know and that's the way business should be done. Also, let's say that we even wanted Soumare then, his own club also have ambitions and quite probably would be unwilling to sell at that stage, why should they!

41 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Without those 2 penalties we don't score. A game where we needed to win we looked scared. Just an overall negative performance, only Vardy was playing for the win.

The first one, well Vardy would have scored. Why wasn't it a red card? 

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....not sure I get this post...!!!

We played with a back three all game, am I right.

Judging from Wilf's positioning it looked to me back four. BBC and a few other sources reckon it was a back five. 

The average position maps on this - look more like a back four - https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1485558/MatchReport/England-Premier-League-2020-2021-Leicester-Tottenham 

11 minutes ago, Strokes said:

The injury list we’ve had this season has affected our style and tactics throughout. When everybody’s fit, I still think we are an attacking free flowing outlet.

Castagne

Evans

Fofana

Barnes

Justin

Ricardo

Vardy

Maddison

Praet

N’didi

Have all had lengthy periods of injuries this season, you can’t expect that to not have some sort of alteration to the set up can you?

So have other clubs and whilst the above have popped in and out of the side, when they did, we usually had some form of decent cover. Recently however it's just been Barnes and JJ. We have however regularly played certain of our players out of their natural positions when better options were available. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

When he first came in we were told this was the case 

Now we play 5 at the back and try and defend whenever we take the lead against good opposition.

Sitting back cost us today. And in all the other games we were defensive from the first whistle.

He's changed as a manager since he's been with us 

Because we have absolutely fcuk all attacking options right now. The annoyance is we can't defend very well either so it's been a horrible sort of half attack, half protect job but we're dead on our feet and it hurts like hell.

That said we still have silverware and we have given it everything. I need a break from it all for a few weeks, it's about snapped me today.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

I am often guilty of thinking the same, Like on FIFA and Football Manager where you think the manager is god. In reality, i'd like to know how much control the manager actually has over transfers, I can imagine you need the approval of a lot of background staff we don't even know exist.

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

Disagree on both these points, that's not say you're wrong, it'd how you see it and your opinion which you're welcome to.

Last season we were far too passive, slow, tippy tappy, sideways and backwards crap.

Don't get wrong we've still had that on occasions this season and it'll come as no surprise it's usually ended with a negative result but we've moved on leaps and bounds from it imo this season, that opinion isn't just based on results either because even when we won last season I was critical of the performances alot of the time but i've been far more impressed on a whole this season.

I still don't really understand the fascination surround 'possession based football' and it still frustrates me but we've been better and its been more palatable this season for me.

I do agree with Rogers teams getting better over a season being a myth though, come the 2nd half of the season we drop off massively, 2 seasons of this is enough evidence to suggest its a myth.

Brendan was very big on pressing but for some reason in the 2nd half of last season we stopped doing it due to looking jaded, I don’t recall us ever going back to that.

6 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

So have other clubs and whilst the above have popped in and out of the side, when they did, we usually had some form of decent cover. Recently however it's just been Barnes and JJ. We have however regularly played certain of our players out of their natural positions when better options were available. 

I never said other clubs didn’t.

I’m talking about why we’ve had changes to our set up and tactics.

If other clubs have had similar injury lists I imagine it will have affected them in a similar manner.

9 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Judging from Wilf's positioning it looked to me back four. BBC and a few other sources reckon it was a back five. 

The average position maps on this - look more like a back four - https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1485558/MatchReport/England-Premier-League-2020-2021-Leicester-Tottenham 

....that site seems to have everything but the line up!!!!

Spurs.png

68 goals in the league this year, only the two Manchester clubs scored more.

Yet we've only kept 11 clean sheets - shows our woes have been in defence with our flappy Keeper and an injury ravaged defence.

• Like 2