Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Brendan - Attacking Manager

I supported the decision to go to a back five when Barnes was injured, it got our best players on the pitch and our wide options without Barnes are poor.

I really hope we go back to a 4-2-3-1 next season. A fit Barnes and Maddison behind the striker, Ricardo back to his best at right back. We really need a RW to compliment the players we have, preferably a Mahrez type one (Trinicao?)to compliment Barnes power and pace and Maddison's vision and guile. We'd probably need another quality player to cover the 3 attacking MF's, maybe Sowah is the man?

WB's and two strikers means we sacrifice too much creativity, the best we've been under BR is when we played 4-1-4-1 when he first came here and we steamrolled a lot of teams. Need to get back to that sort of way of playing.

• Like 2

With better attackers and a fresher/fitter squad (hopefully) throughout next season, I imagine we'll regularly play 4 at the back which allows us to attack more frequently, as opposed to going to 3 at the back and containing the opposition/stifling attacks. 

I have faith in Rodgers to get the best out of the players/squad he will have. We've finished 5th and won the FA Cup with a vastly injury-affected squad. I've got quite a bit of hope that with a more regularly fitter squad we could still remain very competitive on 3 fronts next season (sorry to say, but we've become one of those sides where League Cup is a low priority!)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

On the other matters discussed I might agree but not this one I'm afraid because we have absolutely no idea who, if anyone, our club tried to sign and, just because you and I don't know doesn't equate to no activity. Couple with that the notoriously poor value associated with January and the fact that you can't buy what someone won't sell or who doesn't want to come and the odds of signing someone are significantly reduced. It is also a business and not a computer game, if the finances aren't right then it's wise to steer clear also. On this one point I don't think Rodgers or the club can be blamed because we don't know and that's the way business should be done. Also, let's say that we even wanted Soumare then, his own club also have ambitions and quite probably would be unwilling to sell at that stage, why should they!

So your saying let's not gamble, poor squad, injury hit squad but it's poor value to invest in Jan, guess what my friend, gamble failed, a couple of decent mids, Def, attackers, £££££'s galore in champions League, and we protect the the stars we have.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dr The Singh said:

So your saying let's not gamble, poor squad, injury hit squad but it's poor value to invest in Jan, guess what my friend, gamble failed, a couple of decent mids, Def, attackers, £££££'s galore in champions League, and we protect the the stars we have.

I'm saying that you and I haven't a scooby what they tried and what was available or willing to come. It's also easy to gamble when it's not your business or your money. Can you name a few of these 'gambles' that you personally know were available and willing to come to Leicester,  oh, and they have to be better than what we already have because you have to pay them several million pounds in wages over the next three or four years. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, volpeazzurro said:

I'm saying that you and I haven't a scooby what they tried and what was available or willing to come. It's also easy to gamble when it's not your business or your money. Can you name a few of these 'gambles' that you personally know were available and willing to come to Leicester,  oh, and they have to be better than what we already have because you have to pay them several million pounds in wages over the next three or four years. 

Yes,. Liverpool.  Enough said

I think he is attack minded but given the form, fitness and injuries, and the absolute lack of composure under any pressure just made him feel he has to set everything up negatively as the season progressed - ironically to perhaps stop a last minute choke. Doesnt excuse some bonkers decisions, but when I think about all the factors the situation has really been a shite one and he was dealt a really unfortunate hand.

I hope the Summer break and signings helps us move to a more consistent attack-minded team, and I hope to see a return of high pressing and faster build up play. Think we are fairly low in the league for anything sprint/press related which was the opposite to previous years. Bigger and better squad may allow us to do that.

Edited by lgfualol

I used to love it when we went a goal up.  The opposition would have to come after us and that would open up all sorts of space.  I was usually confident that we would go on to score more and win the game.

Now when we go a goal up I get nervous because we sit back.  I now always think that we need a second goal to see it out and I seldom feel like we'll get that second goal.

Injuries have played a part in that transition but I fear it's now ingrained in our mentality.

• Like 1

I am per placed about praet 

Today his big call was jm or ayoze.... both are without form at the mo. Both added nothing today. 

I think these players need individual coaches to develop them. 

Jm is in danger of heading to a championship club if he doesnt sort himself out.  I thought bredan would be on this. 

Edited by foxinsocks

1 hour ago, don_danbury said:

kasper has been brilliant this season. don't blame him.

Yeah you're right, I've probably been a bit unfair on him after his display today. His strengths do outweigh his flaws.

• Like 1

Our best period of the season was from mid January to Mid February, when we had almost an injury free squad. During this time we played positive football in a 4 1 4 1/ 4 2 3 1 system where key attacking players were all firing. While injuries at the start and end of the system did force him to change system and mentality, he's has become more cautious than when he first arrived, possible down to the fear of getting done on the counter when key players are out. 

More squad depth and less depth next season will really tell us whether Rodgers is still that attacking coach, with the ability to switch to a more counter attacking system in the right circumstances.  

When you think about from mid February to now we have basically grinded out results. Justin and Barnes got injured in the same month. This is where Perez, and to a lesser extend Maddison, have failed us. Rodgers van only work with what he has got, and Perez is not a solution to any problem ever. 

Injury killed Rodgers plan to play his preferred style and formation. 

3 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Kasper

Castange Fofana Soyuncu Thomas

Praet Ndidi Tielemens

Madders

Vardy Nacho

Fofana injured and he bottled it as usual. Every single game he plays 5 atb and he never learns and we got what we deserved because he invites that to happen every time.

To put Ndidi there is An embarrassing decision. Last time he did that was Everton at home - we got run over. The last time Ndidi was out the team was Leeds at home - we got run over.

We can bemoan injuries if we like but the facts are he never ever learns and he was the death of us again.

I really wanted Chelsea to win today because we could go away with an excuse that they were too good, but the reality is that we bottled it over and over again.

Klopp failed for half a season bemoaning injuries to his CBs, putting Fabinho and Henderson at CB and losing and losing. Then he just learns from his mistakes, trusts ‘average’ CBs as long as you put your best players in their best positions they will be ok.

Fabinho back in DM and they won 10/12 games, drawing the other 2.

Rodgers doesn’t learn. Sticks to the same rubbish. If he sticks to the system and just accepts the injury’s, we win. Just play 433 and put round pegs in round holes - regardless of the ‘weaker’ ability cover.

At 2-1 today , they bring on Moura and Bale..I can not understand why you’d then not bring on extra steel in the middle.

Amarty on, Praet on. Mendy Albrighton off, put Wilf and Praet never to Youri and press them higher and relief the pressure.

433. Simple just do that for **** sake. If we lose like that then great, go down trying, not like a whimper! Weak, timid, pathetic!

Complaining about lack of depth, we could of done this:

Kasper

Castange Amarty Soyuncu Thomas

Praet Ndidi Tielemens

Madders

Vardy Nacho

instead we did this:

Kasper

Albrighton Castange Ndidi Soyuncu Thomas

Tielemens Mendy

Perez 

Vardy Nacho

Just farcical. At 2-1 65 mins gone, with Chelsea near dead. We should be in a great position but I was 100% sure it was a matter of time with how we were.

Any half decent manager gets us in the top 4 this season. Last season we had a relentless Man Utd team and we lacked fitness and quality after lockdown. We threw it away but it felt like we wernt good enough.

This season it’s completely different. We had too much quality to fail again and even when Chelsea AGAIN put it on a silver platter, we didn’t set up correctly ever so what do you expect.

Absolutely unforgivable and I don’t give a crap if people on here can’t handle criticism.

Just have to pray now that his failures don’t result in our squad leaving. Let’s be honest, there’s 3/4 who are world class and should be in the CL.

Summed up well I think. There absolutely were better options today and I also chose both of yours in the order you have them. For various obvious reasons, you wouldn't have Morgan or Armarty as first choice centre halves now but certainly with the former,  his vast experience is engrained and he'd die for the cause on such an occasion. Why would you even have both on the bench if have so little faith in them? Ndidi is no centre back but he is a destructive midfielder, one of the very best in the Premiership who can stop problems forming and even getting to a weakened defence. I too thought Rodgers would have learned from the last time he tried it.

You can rarely expect to see a season where all your best players stay fit and available and by definition, your squad players aren't necessarily as good as your first 11 but if a system stays roughly the same, they can come in and play a valuable role if they are comfortable and competent playing in the role they're being asked to fulfil. Why would you ask an already slightly inferior player to fulfill a role he's unlikely to succeed in unless there are no viable alternatives?

Only one of our centres halves was a true centre half yesterday and even Soyuncu looks uncomfortable when played wide left of 3! To me, it is very reminiscent of past failed England managers in trying to cram your best players on the pitch regardless, rather than playing what is actually your best team ie Scholes on the left winger and Ndidi centre half etc. It's almost as if such managers believe that if they play all their stars, they can't be blamed or held accountable if it all goes tits up! 

Too many round pegs in square holes leads to players losing confidence and being frustrated like Ricardo. When we went two one up, someone on the commentary team commented that it was a very difficult job for Ryan Mason, not being an experienced manager to be pitted against Rodgers who is a 'master tactician'! The latter simply just isn't true but merely part of the media myth and total guff that is regularly trotted out in an unexplainable Rodgers media friendly love in. Such myth self perpetuates as pundits follow each other like lemmings, fearful of being the odd one out, some of them at times never appear to have an original thought in their heads. Rodgers definitely has some superb qualities but master tactician is not one of them and once someone in the media spouts such guff, they all incestuously follow each other vomiting more slobber like Savage saying that Rodgers was so good, he could manage any team in the world. The trouble is, is that supporters tend to  buy into such myth also and it becomes fact forever it seems absolving such a manager from constructive criticism. We absolutely know that such pundits can be wrong because they all jumped fairly and squarely on the 'Leicester can't sustain it ' bandwagon the year we won the Premiership because it was statistically the easy thing to do for a successful prediction and none of them wanted to look less sagely than one of their counterparts . Likewise, all managers could also have learned a lesson from that in that it is most often the best team that wins, not the best individuals or galacticos. 

Where I have to concede, but quite happily, is with those on here who quite rightly point out that there isn't actually any known better manager out there that is seemingly busting a gut to come here because that, simply put, is the reality of the matter. Neither is Rodgers a bad manager despite all I've said because his man management and coaching abilities are possibly second to none. Probably because of previous experience he has an inate and competitive fear of failure that leans him towards the pragmatic and perceived safe option.

We cannot deny that 5th place and an FA Cup is anything but exceptional though but, I do think we made hard work of it and limped there with a lot of good fortune. We have some excellent talent at Leicester and sometimes it was bursts of individual talent that got us there and certainly  not latterly down to good play or tactical genius.

The fact remains, we were so close and had been in that top tier for so long that perhaps rationality goes out of the window at times and we now live in a blame culture. So, we go again next year perhaps with a few new faces and hopefully keeping all of our current better ones! Despite his mixture of foibles and good points though, Rodgers will I think be drained and hugely disappointed also because if he was to be enlikened to a player, he is one of those that gives of his best and leaves it all out on the pitch. The pandemic has made life terrible at times and possibly polarise our view even more but, after a good break I'm sure we'll all be optimistic again next season and hopefully be back in person to cheer them on!

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 4

Bizarre thread.

We’ve gone to a back five for very obvious reasons.

And not one of those reasons is because Brendan Rogers wants to play defensively and without creative players in the middle of the park.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Kasper

Praet Ndidi Tielemens

Madders

Vardy Nacho

Fofana injured and he bottled it as usual. Every single game he plays 5 atb and he never learns and we got what we deserved because he invites that to happen every time.

To put Ndidi there is An embarrassing decision. Last time he did that was Everton at home - we got run over. The last time Ndidi was out the team was Leeds at home - we got run over.

We can bemoan injuries if we like but the facts are he never ever learns and he was the death of us again.

I really wanted Chelsea to win today because we could go away with an excuse that they were too good, but the reality is that we bottled it over and over again.

Klopp failed for half a season bemoaning injuries to his CBs, putting Fabinho and Henderson at CB and losing and losing. Then he just learns from his mistakes, trusts ‘average’ CBs as long as you put your best players in their best positions they will be ok.

Rodgers doesn’t learn. Sticks to the same rubbish. If he sticks to the system and just accepts the injury’s, we win. Just play 433 and put round pegs in round holes - regardless of the ‘weaker’ ability cover.

At 2-1 today , they bring on Moura and Bale..I can not understand why you’d then not bring on extra steel in the middle.

Amarty on, Praet on. Mendy Albrighton off, put Wilf and Praet never to Youri and press them higher and relief the pressure.

433. Simple just do that for **** sake. If we lose like that then great, go down trying, not like a whimper! Weak, timid, pathetic!

Kasper

Praet Ndidi Tielemens

Madders

Vardy Nacho

instead we did this:

Kasper

Tielemens Mendy

Perez 

Vardy Nacho

Just farcical. At 2-1 65 mins gone, with Chelsea near dead. We should be in a great position but I was 100% sure it was a matter of time with how we were.

Any half decent manager gets us in the top 4 this season. Last season we had a relentless Man Utd team and we lacked fitness and quality after lockdown. We threw it away but it felt like we wernt good enough.

This season it’s completely different. We had too much quality to fail again and even when Chelsea AGAIN put it on a silver platter, we didn’t set up correctly ever so what do you expect.

Absolutely unforgivable and I don’t give a crap if people on here can’t handle criticism.

Just have to pray now that his failures don’t result in our squad leaving. Let’s be honest, there’s 3/4 who are world class and should be in the CL.

It’s not that you have an opinion. It’s not that people can’t take criticism. It’s not even your contempt for Brendan Rogers or Mendy... It’s that you can’t separate your opinion from fact.

Most people stop reading posts that are written with rhetoric that states ‘if you disagree with me you don’t know anything about football’

Its clear you watch the games and it’s clear you have passion and love for the club but hailing Amartey, Praet and 433 as the blindingly obvious solution, for me isn’t a strong enough argument to justify the statements you have made. Some of which are pretty over the top and verging on hateful!

The manager is clearly working with what he has available. He clearly doesn’t favour Amartey or Praet despite seeing them every day in training. I was disappointed Madders went off as I thought we retained possession and had a potential creative spark but the manager clearly knows what he has in him and what he doesn’t. I also hate 5 at the back and it’s only really works against shit teams. But we are resigned to playing it because we have no quality depth in squad whatsoever across the midfield and available for selection.

Like you, I’m gutted this morning but try and find perspective rather than this hate blame mission you’re on, I like reading the football side of your posts it’s what they are wrapped in that’s a bit OTT buddy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Kasper

Praet Ndidi Tielemens

Madders

Vardy Nacho

Kasper

Praet Ndidi Tielemens

Madders

Vardy Nacho

instead we did this:

Kasper

Tielemens Mendy

Perez 

Vardy Nacho

Just saying, it was a 442 yesterday

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I  think you will find it was 3-4-1-2... !!!

With the change of personnel at the back, it became messy but that was the original formation. 

I was at the game, it was very easy to see it was a 442 with Albrighton and Maddison as wingers

Yes I'm disappointed.

But, on the phone to my mate yesterday (He's a Spurs fan) He said Leicester had a great season, FA Cup, Europa League, wishes that his team had achieved this, I agree with him.

Leicester had a great season.

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

With the change of personnel at the back, it became messy but that was the original formation. 

We started with 4 at the back though. 

9 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

I think you'll find it was 4-4-2. Maddison on the left, Albrighton on the right but don't let facts get in the way of a good old rant.

• Like 1