Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Col city fan

The injury list

28 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

That's just insane. We've been without most of the squad for more than a quarter of the league campaign.

I think the injuries to JJ and Barnes were especially cruel. They were both on top form, and were the team's main source of pace.

As much as it stings to miss out on CL by a gnat's cock again, we have done incredibly well considering.

Yep and once the injuries starts building up it puts pressure on what's left of the rest of the squad resulting on more injuries and fatigue - amazing that Youri never pick up any injuries although fatigue certainly did kick in. 

The last minute injuries before kick off and constantly having to change the back line in the last few months certainly had an big impact as well

It's hardly a coincidence that our best run of form this season was between late defence to mid February, where our injury list was down to 1 or 2 players and we had a settled first 11. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, turlo said:

Yep and once the injuries starts building up it puts pressure on what's left of the rest of the squad resulting on more injuries and fatigue - amazing that Youri never pick up any injuries although fatigue certainly did kick in. 

The last minute injuries before kick off and constantly having to change the back line in the last few months certainly had an big impact as well

It's hardly a coincidence that our best run of form this season was between late defence to mid February, where our injury list was down to 1 or 2 players and we had a settled first 11. 

Agreed. I think just a little bit more depth in the squad would go a very long way. It would mean we could rotate more often without losing too much quality, and our best players wouldn't have to be run into the ground so much, which should result in less fatigue and fewer injuries.

I think we just need to add a few good players to cover midfield/attack to achieve the bulk of this. If we're playing a back 4 and with everyone fit, I think the defence is pretty much sorted. I'd probably just look at upgrading Amartey with an experienced, leader-type CB to partner Cags or Fofana when Evans is unavailable.

I am looking forward to seeing what we do in this transfer window. I'm encouraged by the speculation about Soumare and Edouard. I think both would be very good additions. If we can get those done and add a RW about as good as Barnes and maybe the CB, then I'll be very excited about the new season. Either one of KDH or Sowah could turn out to be good additions, as well.

18 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Whats the physio situation at the club at the moment just out of interest?

Club replaced Dave Rennie with a new full-time Head of Medical at the start of the season - Bryan English who was at Middlesbrough, known to Rodgers from his time at Chelsea.

Rennie's old team of Simon Murphy and Gary Silk are still there

We can't surely have injuries as bad as ours with as many and happening at crucial ties of the season as this season? This was ridiculous and even more ridiculous is how well we managed it compared to most other teams. Man City as good as they are have literally 2 squads and the injuries they had here and there are nothing like ours. would love to see the stats on which teams suffered the most this season.

So looking at our squad, the following players will feature at the Euro's;

Schmeichel

Ward

Soyuncu 

Castagne

Tielemans

Praet

That gives a vital / key rest for the following players to overcome their injuries / niggles after pretty much a 2 year slog;

Ricardo

Fofana

Evans

Amartey

Thomas

Ndidi

Mendy

Choudhury

Maddison

Barnes 

Albrighton

Perez

Vardy

Iheanacho

Hopefully this will stand us in good stead going into next season as a majority of our squad will be back in for pre-season on day one, most of our rivals / other clubs will have a majority of their squad being drip fed back throughout pre-season with minimal rest. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

Schmeichel

Ward

Soyuncu 

Castagne

Tielemans

Praet

That gives a vital / key rest for the following players to overcome their injuries / niggles after pretty much a 2 year slog;

Ricardo

Fofana

Evans

Amartey

Thomas

Ndidi

Mendy

Choudhury

Maddison

Barnes 

Albrighton

Perez

Vardy

Iheanacho

Hopefully this will stand us in good stead going into next season as a majority of our squad will be back in for pre-season on day one, most of our rivals / other clubs will have a majority of their squad being drip fed back throughout pre-season with minimal rest. 

Outside the big six, not many clubs will have too many players at the euros. 

could make for a competitive start to next season 

On 25/05/2021 at 16:42, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

Schmeichel

Ward

Soyuncu 

Castagne

Tielemans

Praet

Two of the 6 are keepers so in terms of fatigue it won't really matter. That leaves only 4, although I'd expect Belgium to go pretty far in the competition, so those 3 lads will probably get a bit of an extended break before pre-season (assuming we don't sell Praet anyway).

7 hours ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

Question for you much more informed chaps......... Would the pitch have influenced our injury list? 

I've just been reading that the pitch is being totally dug using JCB's - which should ideally happen (the groundsman said) every 10 years.

Ours is 19 year's old - well past it's prime.

I've wondered this, as have several contributors previously.  Also, along with foxpleasure and re pitch watering, I've noticed the number of games where some of our players have been slipping badly, causing errors on the ball.

Is there anyone with knowledge in that area who can comment on whether the condition of our pitch is likely to have been a factor on the level of injuries and the slipping and sliding?

5 minutes ago, deep blue said:

I've wondered this, as have several contributors previously.  Also, along with foxpleasure and re pitch watering, I've noticed the number of games where some of our players have been slipping badly, causing errors on the ball.

Is there anyone with knowledge in that area who can comment on whether the condition of our pitch is likely to have been a factor on the level of injuries and the slipping and sliding?

Don't know about injuries but away teams loved that pitch given how many of them won on it.