Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Brendan Rodgers explains ideal signing profile as he sets out Leicester City transfer plan

2 hours ago, MGLCFC said:

I still wouldn't be surprised if we went in for McGregor as he can fill a number of midfield rolls, particularly if we lose Praet, Choudhury and Mendy.

...I always felt if we had not signed Tielemans then McGregor would have been brought in by Rodgers!!!

With Soumare coming into the club then I am not too sure why McGregor would now be drafted in to our squad.

Rodgers has highlighted well what we need, but he did the same last season by constantly talking about the fact that we need more creative, technical players and attackers. We ended up with Cengiz Under.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bert Fill said:

Or - just a thought, and an alternative one to your sweepingly patronising comment - maybe people are perfectly aware of his shortcomings, but reckon that on balance over the last ten years he’s been much more good than bad?

Oh - also, do you think a keeper who was a fantastic shotstopper, dominated the box, had superb ball skills and distribution, and never made a mistake (if such a creature exists), would have been at Leicester for the last ten years, rather than Real Madrid, Man Utd etc?

I think on balance in the last ten games he has been more good than bad. His two stops at Wembley saved the FA Cup for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

Please sign a top quality RW.

We're a completely different animal with a full firing Barnes and Maddison. I can't be doing with another season of WB's.

Ideal window for me:

1) Schmeichel

2) Ward

3) Thomas

4) Ricardo

5) Castagne

6) Justin

7) Evans

8) Fofana

9) Soyuncu

10) Tarkowski?????????????????

11) Ndidi

12) Tielemans

13) Soumare??????????????????

14) Dewsbury Hall

15) ??????????????????????????

16) Barnes

17) Maddison

18) Trinicao???????????????????

19) Albrighton

20) Sowah

21) ??????????????????????????

22) Vardy

23) iheanacho

24) Edouard???????????????????????

Sell

Mendy

Choudhury

Praet

Amartey

Perez

I think, unless he wants to leave, Praet is your number 15. I don't think we will get Trincao now, so I would put Pereira there. I saw the chance of a loan for Danny James mentioned somewhere, so maybe he makes number 21 as back up. I would also like to see another striker available if we keep playing2 up top.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Rodgers has highlighted well what we need, but he did the same last season by constantly talking about the fact that we need more creative, technical players and attackers. We ended up with Cengiz Under.

It's a really fair point. 

But I think the club will spend a lot more in this window - sounds like the shirt sponsorship deal with FBS is huge, and by not spending significantly in the previous Summer combined with our success this season, we'll have more funds to work with. 

It's also  positive Rodgers acknowledges where the weaknesses are. 

2 hours ago, foxgas said:

A goalkeeper who can command the penalty area to take pressure off defenders and distribute the ball well should be first priority. 

...Kasper has always been a poor judge of distance and previously in his career did come for balls in his area!!!

That then transitioned to punching the ball with his fist of which he became proficient. For some reason he then began to stay on his line, irrespective of how close the ball was to him. So long as the defenders are aware of where he will be, then you can defend with some conviction, as no one is getting in each others way.

Kasper has been beaten from distance quite a few times and for a keeper with his perceived quality it is hard to understand how. His judgment in ball flight seems to be his undoing but his reaction to close shot stopping is unbelievable. He has his own show reel this season and it is hard to pick out his best as he was doing this week after week.

That miss-judgment against Spurs will stay with him for sometime, for the season he has had it is hard to berate him for what happened but he will be more down on himself than anything we post to this forum.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I always felt if we had not signed Tielemans then McGregor would have been brought in by Rodgers!!!

With Soumare coming into the club then I am not too sure why McGregor would now be drafted in to our squad.

Your half right. Rodgers bid £19m for McGregor the same summer after Tielemens arrived however it was towards the end of the window after we'd already sold Tierney and it was rejected. Rodgers then went and got Praet instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

I stand corrected then. Albeit, it appears we are bringing in less people at a higher price as time goes on?  in 2018 we spent £82.5m on Incomings but that was offset by £60m from Mahrez....  in 2019 we bought in justin, Perez, Tielemans, Praet, but that was offset by £80m on Maguire..... unless we are selling a big name this year.... can you see 6 players but no outgoing star??

If I recall correctly, the 2019 summer every journalist and his dog said we were going to spend bid that summer, and in fairness we did. Maguire went at the end of the window after we'd been spending. I wouldn't even say the deal was already done as he was starting pre-season games for us that year as well.

If the right players are there at the right price, I can see us going for it regardless of outgoings. Just seems like that sort of summer

47 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I think BR will start to look at his options if we don't give him the tools. He also said ideally he would have liked 4-5 players.

Can't help but think that we could have got over the line for 4th with a couple of extra attacking players. 

• Like 1

This could well be the summer of big spending for us as ffp have been relaxed in respect of spend against income due to clubs incomes being hit by  covid.

however, this does depend upon whether we have the resources or not. With KPI losing the bulk of their turnover over the last year or so not sure if we can rely on loans etc from that direction currently. That said, we now know that the next three years tv money is secure so, like others, we could borrow against that in the short term plus if the new sponsorship deal is as lucrative as has been suggested we are  in a good place financially compared to many, including some of the big names who are swimming in oceans of debt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

You’re all bonkers if you think perez is off

I'm not so sure, his performances sometimes smell a little past their sell by date...

I'm sure I wasn't alone in being astounded by the transfer in the first place. I don't even mean the fee, which did seem ridiculously high, I just couldn't see what he was going to add then, whatever the fee, and nothing has changed my mind since. He has his good points and I don't want to just slaughter one of our players, but we need more and I just don't see him providing enough.

Your point is probably correct though, not sure who'd really want him and we'd have to take a massive hit on the fee. Hope I'm wrong and he somehow turns it around, but he shouldn't be a bit part player at £30m. In his defence, it really isn't a lack of effort, just a lack of physicality and the extra quality needed to make a difference.

Edited by Duquesne Whistle

2 hours ago, Ricey said:

Missing out on the Champions League and Covid hit us hard I think.

Admittedly both of those things still apply, but assuming grounds will be partially full next season, plus the FA Cup win we might have a bit more to spend. 

I do feel sorry for Rodgers though, because he clearly wants those sort of players. When he was Liverpool manager look at the damage his team with Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge did, with Coutinho behind them. Imagine someone like Riyad Mahrez under Rodgers, goals would be flying in I'm sure. 

Problem is such players are hard to find! Rodgers did an amazing job with Harvey Barnes, perhaps he can do the same with someone else. Under was highly rated, but Rudkin was right to make it a loan to buy deal, and I don't think the player can have too many complaints about not making the grade here. 

2 hours ago, Ricey said:

To be fair the majority of fans were over the moon to bring in a right winger of that technical quality. He has not adapted to the premier league, but not to say he is a bad player. You win some and you lose some! On loan, it could have been a genius move.

Edited by scinnell
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gerard said:

Please sign a top quality RW.

We're a completely different animal with a full firing Barnes and Maddison. I can't be doing with another season of WB's.

Ideal window for me:

1) Schmeichel

2) Ward

3) Thomas

4) Ricardo

5) Castagne

6) Justin

7) Evans

8) Fofana

9) Soyuncu

10) Tarkowski?????????????????

11) Ndidi

12) Tielemans

13) Soumare??????????????????

14) Dewsbury Hall

15) ??????????????????????????

16) Barnes

17) Maddison

18) Trinicao???????????????????

19) Albrighton

20) Sowah

21) ??????????????????????????

22) Vardy

23) iheanacho

24) Edouard???????????????????????

Sell

Mendy

Choudhury

Praet

Amartey

Perez

How about West Brom's Matheus Pereira he players as a Right Winger, think the trio signings would be perfect

4 hours ago, turlo said:

Any cambiasso type signings out there on a free? 

Javi Martinez

Juan Mata

Jerome Boateng

Hakan Calhanoglu

Lucas Vázquez

Sergio Ramos

Nikola Maksimovic

@Muzzy_Larsson is Ryan Gauld worth a look this summer? Had a very very good season in Portugal and available on a bosman.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, filbertway said:

Haha! Well I'm fairly confident that Iversen is on track to be our first choice keeper in the next 18-24 months.

Are you saying you put more of a premium on catching set pieces rather than scoring goals? Or are you just reacting to Kasper's howler at the weekend and stuck on that?

Not really bothered about his odd mistakes, all keepers do that, I  was brought up with great keepers in the side and I don't see why we can't breed our own with new training set up, not much footballing talent required, mostly size, strength and agility. Keepers like Shilton and Pope nowadays seem to fill the goal which must intimidate forwards.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Javi Martinez

Juan Mata

Jerome Boateng

Hakan Calhanoglu

Lucas Vázquez

Sergio Ramos

Nikola Maksimovic

@Muzzy_Larsson is Ryan Gauld worth a look this summer? Had a very very good season in Portugal and available on a bosman.

Calhanoglu Please he would be great for us. Not bad at free kick either 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Ramsey is still a class player and Juve are selling. Whether he fits is a moot point. But experienced and talented. 

He's 30, on somewhere in the region of £400k a week and perennially unfit so hopefully someone else can take that particular bullet for us

• Like 1