Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dirkster the Fox

Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

With Maddison, Tielemans and Praet probably leaving , while Ndidi is never coming back to previous levels , we will have no "star midfielder". Also given we have little money , we are going to have to be realistic so KDH is going to be very important over the next few years.

I agree. Think alongside a ball player and a ball winner he would thrive more than we've seen. Just get him shuttling from box to box.

On 15/04/2023 at 22:15, StanSP said:

There's no denying he had a poor game though today. He might do the above and I've been a supporter of his throughout the season. But today from what I saw, he looked a world apart from our own standards, let alone who we were up against. 

First touch is poor, sets him on the back foot and gets himself in unnecessary challenges. Very predictable being so one footed, too - his style of play to constantly get on his left foot makes it easy to defend against or put pressure on. 

He might be aggressive, but he needs to improve on the ball a hell of a lot more.

He might be willing to carry the ball forward, but he makes it difficult for himself when he can't control it properly. 

There has to be a reason for his diminished effectiveness. It wasn't apparent that he was sub-par when he first began appearing in the team.

I don't believe players lose ability - they spend years going through the grind of selection/rejection - only the best ever make it to Premier teams. To make it without being capable with both feet is truly extraordinary.

Someone needs to take him aside and work out what's going wrong. I'll continue to maintain that the squad has suffered from mismanagement - not just Rodgers, but the whole setup.

The thing is, is that football at this level has neither the time or nor will to 'repair' players who've lost their way or confidence. They're allowed to recuperate after injury - that's accepted - mostly on the basis that they'll recover the standard they were at prior to the injury. That's a gamble clubs are willing to take. I suspect there is psychological assistance they provide when a player drifts into serious emotional imbalance - drinking, gambling etc. yet repairing lack of confidence is a very long-term and complex issue. I'm not sure many managers and their support teams have the time or inclination to do so.

Not infrequently you hear of sportsmen completely reworking their 'style'. But it takes recognition, determination, repetition and time.

• Like 4

On 15/04/2023 at 22:58, funkyrobot said:

Do you think Praet is ineffective and invisible?

That wasn't my implication - a number of commentators on here wanted Torino to take him off City's hands and would have been glad to see him go. You don't get in a national squad of Belgium's standards without being an excellent footballer.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LVFox said:

I agree. Think alongside a ball player and a ball winner he would thrive more than we've seen. Just get him shuttling from box to box.

So we do him a disservice, and I do find this quite funny.

Young KDH was on (drum roll) the............

UEFA ECL team of the season in 2021/22, c'mon!!!  along with Abraham, Dim Payet, Malacia, Smalling & Rui Patricio

The ONLY Leicester player on that team!!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gerblod said:

That wasn't my implication - a number of commentators on here wanted Torino to take him off City's hands and would have been glad to see him go. You don't get in a national squad of Belgium's standards without being an excellent footballer.

Its quite clear now that Dennis was no fan of Rodgers's tactics and told him so. They were never going to see eye to eye , but Smith might be a lot more to his liking. He is a very similar player to KDH but more right sided. There will be few fireworks but he  works hard and cleverly. To some , that is dull , but you need a balance in a team. Maddison and Tielemans have always been the game changers.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

he was effectively being asked to play left wing last weekend, clearly unsuited for that role

I would of thought that being wider would mean that his lack of ball control and passing ability would be less costly but his deficiencies still exposed us to a goal.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gerblod said:

image.png.7a0ab4607f883fd00717ee6d3e3011a6.png

17 hours ago, gerblod said:

There has to be a reason for his diminished effectiveness. It wasn't apparent that he was sub-par when he first began appearing in the team.

I don't believe players lose ability - they spend years going through the grind of selection/rejection - only the best ever make it to Premier teams. To make it without being capable with both feet is truly extraordinary.

Someone needs to take him aside and work out what's going wrong. I'll continue to maintain that the squad has suffered from mismanagement - not just Rodgers, but the whole setup.

The thing is, is that football at this level has neither the time or nor will to 'repair' players who've lost their way or confidence. They're allowed to recuperate after injury - that's accepted - mostly on the basis that they'll recover the standard they were at prior to the injury. That's a gamble clubs are willing to take. I suspect there is psychological assistance they provide when a player drifts into serious emotional imbalance - drinking, gambling etc. yet repairing lack of confidence is a very long-term and complex issue. I'm not sure many managers and their support teams have the time or inclination to do so.

Not infrequently you hear of sportsmen completely reworking their 'style'. But it takes recognition, determination, repetition and time.

This points to a lack of capability in our development of players. Ben Chilwell was also completely left footed. It’s amazing we can’t coach a bit of ability in the weaker foot to these one footed players. It seems they work hard to mask the issue rather than resolving it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Death by Football said:

This points to a lack of capability in our development of players. Ben Chilwell was also completely left footed. It’s amazing we can’t coach a bit of ability in the weaker foot to these one footed players. It seems they work hard to mask the issue rather than resolving it. 

It’s quite common that left footed players in particular are very one footed.

However, it’s very rare to find that player not as a LB/LW.

I can’t think of many left footed CM’s that have left a huge legacy in the PL as an example.

12 hours ago, Jimmy said:

he and KDH as the wider men in a diamond would work well allowing Maddison to feed Daka and Nacho, especially if Barnes is out

I’ve been pushing for that formation for months, not that it ever had a chance of happening under Toadstool.  So many of our fans have a strange loathing for the diamond but we have the personnel to make it work (and we did well when we used it on occasion).  A diamond with Praet and Youri/KDH between Maddison and Mendy could be very effective.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SafewayFox said:

I can’t think of many left footed CM’s that have left a huge legacy in the PL as an example.

David Silva, Gary Speed, Cesc Fabregas, Juninho and (I think) Odegaard are the ones that spring to mind but I really can’t think of many.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SafewayFox said:

40 minutes ago, Strokes said:

David Silva, Gary Speed, Cesc Fabregas, Juninho and (I think) Odegaard are the ones that spring to mind but I really can’t think of many.

Gareth Barry as well.

Foden is so left footed but, like Silva/Fabregas, etc he has the close control and technical ability to make it work.

Dewsbury-Hall is so slow, him turning back onto his left foot is awful to watch. Slows us down and I've said it all season.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Gareth Barry as well.

Foden is so left footed but, like Silva/Fabregas, etc he has the close control and technical ability to make it work.

Dewsbury-Hall is so slow, him turning back onto his left foot is awful to watch. Slows us down and I've said it all season.

Slow?! Surely you just mean he slows things because of his one footedness (as you've said) and not his actual pace. He's pretty damn quick for a centre midfielder.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Fabregas no way?

Juninho maybe, he definitely played at times on the left and was good with it which might be playing with my memory.

https://youtu.be/KvjB6w3xStg

It's the middle of the week so I'll let you off :D (and watch past the first 10 seconds when he scores that volley with his left foot lol)

3 hours ago, dmayne7 said:

Slow?! Surely you just mean he slows things because of his one footedness (as you've said) and not his actual pace. He's pretty damn quick for a centre midfielder.

Yes slows us down.

5 hours ago, Strokes said:

4 hours ago, dmayne7 said:

Fabregas was right footed, so was Juninho...

Silva was a magician and any highlight video shows he was left footed but used his right foot (obviously not as much) and even scored a few goals with it.

Odegaard however, is a great shout 🙌🏻

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SafewayFox said:

Mata, Ozil, Bernardo Silva.

39 minutes ago, Will1981 said:

Mata, Ozil, Bernardo Silva.

All of which would be surely classed as a 10 more than a 6/8 though mate.

Or played large parts on the wing at early stages of their careers too?

KDH also doesn’t have any of their ability to run with the ball using both feet, he literally uses his right foot solely for standing on.

I’d love to see him pick up his form from last season but as a few others have posted, he was an unknown last season but any have decent coaching set up would analyse our players and quickly establish that he’s surely one of those most one footed CM’s in PL history 🤷🏻‍♂️