Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dirkster the Fox

Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall

I must admit that I've not been blown away by any of his performances or cameos so far but, having said that, it's got to the point that we should give him a start. That's because Soumare has struggled to demonstrate that he can fill in for Tielemans at the moment and has neither the creativity nor the required workrate.  

Soumare is 22 and KDH is 23 and both are new to the Premier League. The jury is out on both, but it's probably time for KDH to have his audition for the role of Youri's deputy 

• Like 1

I really can't think of one of our players who been consistently good this season .Only Vardy has got the job done properly. All the rest have been all over the place at times. Dan Amartey has been reliable when he has played and Marc always tries  hard. Our so-called star players have often been very average. Daka just hasn't been given a chance so he is exempt from criticism. KDH cannot really be judged yet , he may turn out to be a really solid player if he gets a chance.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Rodgers and Maddison both credited him as the catalyst for an improved team performance.

Unfortunately for him, Rodgers went on to say that Tielemans will be back for Napoli if not Aston Villa so, just as he looks like he’s got to the point of earning a run in the side, our best player comes back to fitness.

Giving Soumare the run of games he’s had with little to show for it has been one of our biggest failings recently.

...don't go by what Rodgers tend to say regards people coming back from injury!!!

6 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

I must admit that I've not been blown away by any of his performances or cameos so far but, having said that, it's got to the point that we should give him a start. That's because Soumare has struggled to demonstrate that he can fill in for Tielemans at the moment and has neither the creativity nor the required workrate.  

Soumare is 22 and KDH is 23 and both are new to the Premier League. The jury is out on both, but it's probably time for KDH to have his audition for the role of Youri's deputy 

This is where I'm at too. I'm not convinced as I still think he looks like he's not quite got to grips with the pace of the prem but I think he'd do a better job than Soumare on current form so on that basis, he deserves a crack.

I still think Soumare has something about him but he's been doggo recently. Hope KDH gets the nod for the Villa game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tielemans63 said:

This is where I'm at too. I'm not convinced as I still think he looks like he's not quite got to grips with the pace of the prem but I think he'd do a better job than Soumare on current form so on that basis, he deserves a crack.

I still think Soumare has something about him but he's been doggo recently. Hope KDH gets the nod for the Villa game.

I think this sums it up perfectly. Long term Soumaré looks the better prospect. But on current form KDH should be ahead of him until Soumaré improves. And let's see how Kiernan gets on.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I think this sums it up perfectly. Long term Soumaré looks the better prospect. But on current form KDH should be ahead of him until Soumaré improves. And let's see how Kiernan gets on.

I think if KDH hadn't been on loan in the Championship last year, he would have been snapped up as a major signing by a Premier League team. I just don't understand why loanees don't get the same respect other players would get for the same performances in the Championship.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
19 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

What are you basing this on? He hasnt had a chance to get up to speed yet. If he had been a new signing you would likely have given him at least 5 games to settle, whats the difference? He will get better with each game he plays.   Of course Youri is a generational talent, there's not many in the world at his level. But we cant compare people to him, as we all know that youri is world class and unless youre throwing money around like man city, you wont be having a player like that on your bench.  

It would just be nice if we could give him a chance and if he doesnt cut it after a good run of games then fair enough. The reviews from Luton, were similar to Barnes and Chillwells loans, if not better. They also took the first season to settle before flourishing.   

I know im not the voice of reason as a well known KDH fan boy, but I just really believe in him.  

Edit* Just wanted to add in a video for you. Have a good watch, look at the range of passing.... and the willingness to try and progress things forward whenever the opportunity arises and tell me we dont need it.  Vardy thrives off of early ambitious balls, catching out defenders. When he is comfortable enough to try it without our fans jeering failed attempts, he will start to rack up the assists. 

The video is interesting.

Great energy and pressing, and a lovely left foot.

But a lot of his assists he wouldn't get with us - lots of high balls into the box.

His close control is decent, and his ability to get out of tight spaces, if he can develop a right foot and work on some more precise defence splitting passes then he's definitely got a chance. Our style relies on players like maddison or tielemans opening up the defence. Hes not powerful like soumare and therefore this has to be his role.

12 minutes ago, glenny_fox said:

Whilst KDH hasn't set the world alight, the one thing that has really impressed me with him is his willing to actively move into space to receive the ball from defence. With Soumare and, especially, Ndidi neither of them really create the space to receive passes from defence, which leads us to playing side to side or back to Kasper. With Ndidi and Soumare, the midfield is bypassed 90% of the time in favour of the wings, but with KDH there it offered us another avenue of attack.

Yes, he aint a Youri (not many players are) but lets remember that in the handful of games that he has played, it has been in matches where we've made about 9 changes, with no fluidity throughout the team. Give him a run of games in a settled team and I think he'll thrive.

This is so important, and something we do far too little of. Making yourself available is what we need more of! Realise that as he improves, he may well get less time as the opposition become more aware of him, but he isn’t there yet.

20 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

What are you basing this on? He hasnt had a chance to get up to speed yet. If he had been a new signing you would likely have given him at least 5 games to settle, whats the difference? He will get better with each game he plays.   Of course Youri is a generational talent, there's not many in the world at his level. But we cant compare people to him, as we all know that youri is world class and unless youre throwing money around like man city, you wont be having a player like that on your bench.  

It would just be nice if we could give him a chance and if he doesnt cut it after a good run of games then fair enough. The reviews from Luton, were similar to Barnes and Chillwells loans, if not better. They also took the first season to settle before flourishing.   

I know im not the voice of reason as a well known KDH fan boy, but I just really believe in him.  

Edit* Just wanted to add in a video for you. Have a good watch, look at the range of passing.... and the willingness to try and progress things forward whenever the opportunity arises and tell me we dont need it.  Vardy thrives off of early ambitious balls, catching out defenders. When he is comfortable enough to try it without our fans jeering failed attempts, he will start to rack up the assists. 

Thanks for taking the time to write an informative response and for posting this video. Yes a lot to like here. He certainly has a lovely left foot and is very positive to get on the ball and try things. i can see how he ran things for Luton in the league below.

On the other hand, I do agree with @Chocolate Teapot that a lot of these floated balls into the far post of the box will be near useless for us. Although a little variation won't do any harm and will keep defences guessing the last thing we need is to give away possession like that against a set defence with no target man to win the header.

He also needs to start using his right foot to open up more angles, you can't be as one footed as that as a premier League central midfielder, it becomes predictable.

that said these are things you can work on and let's give Brendan credit, he does improve players technically and I'm sure he'll be telling Kiernan to use his right foot in training and working on his give and go etc outside the box.  Let's see how he gets on next few games 👍👍👍

• Like 1

This is very interesting and shows that KDH really is the only alternative to Tielemans. Sounare has his strengths but we can't expect him to be any good going forward but he needs to tighten up on his inability to track runners. We are defensively worse with him in alongside Ndidi and much less creative too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
53 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Played like a fan, put himself around somewhat and got stuck in. You get the feeling he would be on the terraces too if not playing.

This could be what we need right now. We're not good enough to coast through games which we have been doing.

Energy and desire is what we need.

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

This could be what we need right now. We're not good enough to coast through games which we have been doing.

Energy and desire is what we need.

I like him, he wants to be part of the action, he sets an example and makes others emerge from their indolent backsides and get stuck in.

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Hopefully @Ric Flair will not hammer me for being critical of his favourite player.

I think my criticism has been valid but I do think hes got away with that because some viewed him as young when in actual fact he's the same age as Barnes and older than Soumare.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
Just now, An Sionnach said:

I like him, he wants to be part of the action, he sets an example and makes others emerge from their indolent backsides and get stuck in.

He did on Wednesday anyway, I hadn't seen that prior to that.

3 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Hopefully @Ric Flair will not hammer me for being critical of his favourite player.

I think my criticism has been valid but I do think hes got away with that because some viewed him as young when in actual fact he's the same age as Barnes and older than Soumare.

I only picked up on your comments because he'd barely played and when he did play chunks of games it was usually in rotated sides that were struggling. His recent cameos with our best players and he's started to show what he's capable of.

Don't forget I wasn't a huge fan of KDH until he went on loan, in the U23's he wasn't anything special but was evidently harbouring an ability to progress if given the opportunity. Will he make it as a good PL player? It's hard to say but he's got that maverick sort of game that you see with players that come late to the game. Hes obviously been in our academy for years but he feels a bit of a throwback like Vardy who just wants to get on with the game and he'll combine desire, energy and aggression with a touch of class. 

I've certainly been proven wrong on him and that's why I was sticking up for him. Plus it's easy to champion his inclusion when Soumare has played as badly as he has in Tielemans absence.

• Like 4