Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dirkster the Fox

Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall

It’s already been said but KDH was exceptional last night. Great energy, composed on the ball and looked a seasoned pro in there against some very good international players.

He comes across very well too, with a good temperament and is realistic with where his development is. He’s starting to form a nice little partnership down that inside/outside left side with Thomas at LB too. Will be a few bumps along the road but he’s starting to show he has the genuine quality to play at this level which is great to see!

Keep it up Kiernan lad!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's my feeling too. I thought in Soumare we were signing someone with a winning mentality, who had physicality, energy and quality with progressive passing. Not as finessed as Tielemans, but more box-to-box. Perhaps Soumare can still get there, he is still young and this is his first season, but KDH looks to be that player already. We knew he'd get his run in the team eventually, but honestly it's a shame he wasn't given his run first, because he's become one of our most important players in no time at all.

If you want to get really excited, if Soumare became the right sided version of KDH we could legitimately play the Diamond formation every week as our first team formation. That would allow us to have two of Daka, Vardy and Nacho on at all times and could still bring players like Lookman on off the bench. I feel like especially against the bottom 10 teams this could let us bully them and get easier wins against them.

I think Soumare will come good -- the Premier League is sometime hard to be dumped into. But I also think there is a bit of prejudice against our homegrown players returning from load (both from staff and the fans.) If we had bought KDH, like we bought Maddison from a Championship club, I expect we would have seen him get a run of games sooner.

• Like 3

You can actually see KDH learning on the job. His positioning is getting so much better, where earlier both he and Your were running into the same place.

He just needs to get his head up and improve his long range passing.

But a breath of fresh air to see someone carry the ball forward and draw people towards him, Creating space for others.

• Like 3

This lad in the next couple of years is going to be an absolute Gem that will be courted by all the top clubs wanting to sign him, his composure vision & control on the ball is almost ahead of his time hoping the lad keeps his feet firmly on the ground learns from the seasoned pros & becomes absolutely even more Amazing !!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we have needed a player to do this for sometime and it is good that it is a natural part of his game!!!

You need to have the control of the ball whilst transitioning and an ability to pick a pass on the counter. 

Soumare definitely has a problem now, as KDH has usurped his role and when Wilf is free from Centre Back duties, we will have an expensive player on our bench.

Mcateer could well be another to come through the academy, he has a similar attitude to KDH, he is just getting exposure, a lot earlier than our previous loanees.

Can only be a good thing for Soumare not a problem, if we want a player that will thrive under competition then he will come good in time.

46 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm not really happy with this attitude towards Soumare if I'm honest. I'm not comfortable with a lot of the negativity he's getting, he's been a victim of Fofana's success up to a point. I think people were expecting the same immediate impact and there's not been a lot of tolerance for the fact he's come in to a new country, a new club and he's having to adjust. 

He's actually put in some quite nice performances and shown some nice touches, there's clearly glimmers of quality and good footballing intelligence there just as there was with Iheanacho. Plenty of us begged people on here to be patient with Nacho and argue his corner and not many wanted to hear it.

I think Soumaré needs the same love now. He's definitely behind Dewsbury Hall at the moment and I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise but I don't think KDH's form should be used to attack Soumare. Just appreciate that we've got two young midfielders here with bags of promise and let's just cheer them both on and give them the patience they'll both need to grow here, as I'm sure there'll be times when KDH is having a bad run of form and Bouba will be shining. It's just the nature of young footballers. 

I didn't attack Soumare whatsoever. There is some raw potential with him and as you have said he has put in some good performances including I believe against arsenal when he was like a battering ram bossing the midfield tackle after tackle. I just thought he would be a box to box combative midfielder on a more consistent basis and he's not been that.

Whether my original thought about his time at Lille was incorrect or he's been asked to play a different role by Brendan.

I do think Soumare next season will be a lot better after having time to adjust as he's young and will only improve with more game time. One thing's for sure however he needs to improve his concentration as sometimes is very lazy with tracking runners. 

Edited by TrickyTrevLeftPeg

On about Soumare here.

With young players, especially ones who have changed countries or even Leagues, you have to give them the first season on credit. If they've not figured theirselves out after the first year there's a problem.

You can see a quality player in him, just hasn't shown consistency and seems to be struggling with the pace certain teams go at him, but class is evident. I don't think our fans have turned toxic on him yet, certainly a scapegoat candidate if things turn nasty(we lose a few) again but I think he'll prove to be a steady player for us. Can't wait to see him line up infront of Fofana.

Edited by Jaspa
forgot what topic I was in

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I think Soumare will come good -- the Premier League is sometime hard to be dumped into. But I also think there is a bit of prejudice against our homegrown players returning from load (both from staff and the fans.) If we had bought KDH, like we bought Maddison from a Championship club, I expect we would have seen him get a run of games sooner.

....not sure about that, I was quite keen to have KDH play right at the start at the season, not necessarily in the starting eleven!!!

Like the introduction of Soumare, Rodgers did not believe the moment had arisen, where either could have been introduced into games, especially when we are struggling. KDH has taken to his role, and has now both feet under the table, he has been introduced when it was appropriate and he has usurped Soumare in the role that he had been earmarked for.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I'm not really happy with this attitude towards Soumare if I'm honest. I'm not comfortable with a lot of the negativity he's getting, he's been a victim of Fofana's success up to a point. I think people were expecting the same immediate impact and there's not been a lot of tolerance for the fact he's come in to a new country, a new club and he's having to adjust. 

He's actually put in some quite nice performances and shown some nice touches, there's clearly glimmers of quality and good footballing intelligence there just as there was with Iheanacho. Plenty of us begged people on here to be patient with Nacho and argue his corner and not many wanted to hear it.

I think Soumaré needs the same love now. He's definitely behind Dewsbury Hall at the moment and I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise but I don't think KDH's form should be used to attack Soumare. Just appreciate that we've got two young midfielders here with bags of promise and let's just cheer them both on and give them the patience they'll both need to grow here, as I'm sure there'll be times when KDH is having a bad run of form and Bouba will be shining. It's just the nature of young footballers. 

Wise words.

KDH future captain anyone?

Edited by Wasyls Pec Deck

47 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

My issue with Soumare is, he's such a rough diamond. Even in Ligue 1 his creativity and output was appalling and there was a belief that given time that could be developed, which it might. But its certainly not guaranteed, just because he looks physical and supposedly is good at carrying the ball up pitch, it doesn't mean he can become a beast of a box to box midfielder. He's got 1 goal and 2 assists in something daft like 130 games. The biggest disappointment so far is the couple of things he is supposedly VERY good at - carrying the ball up pitch and breaking up play we've seen scant evidence of it. That Spartak away game aside he's not spearheaded many attacks and he's an absolute liability at opting not to track runners and failing to break up play.

So the bits he ought to be doing, he isn't and the bits he might develop eventually under Brendan he isn't. Overall he's been pretty poor so far but plenty of improvement to come surely once he gets to grips with the pace.

....what ever he was doing was good enough to take Lille to the championship!!!

We knew his stats, we knew what he brings to the table, but I believe everyone is reading it wrong. His stats are irrelevant, what he did in France is quantifiable but not in the areas that we deemed to be important. What he could bring is what we are seeing from KDH at this moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

My issue with Soumare is, he's such a rough diamond. Even in Ligue 1 his creativity and output was appalling and there was a belief that given time that could be developed, which it might. But its certainly not guaranteed, just because he looks physical and supposedly is good at carrying the ball up pitch, it doesn't mean he can become a beast of a box to box midfielder. He's got 1 goal and 2 assists in something daft like 130 games. The biggest disappointment so far is the couple of things he is supposedly VERY good at - carrying the ball up pitch and breaking up play we've seen scant evidence of it. That Spartak away game aside he's not spearheaded many attacks and he's an absolute liability at opting not to track runners and failing to break up play.

So the bits he ought to be doing, he isn't and the bits he might develop eventually under Brendan he isn't. Overall he's been pretty poor so far but plenty of improvement to come surely once he gets to grips with the pace.

I think this post is absolutely spot on with some of the issues Soumare currently has. 

I understand the: "lay off him" comments but, as long as it doesn't spill over into not supporting him in the stadium, I don't see the issue with some constructive criticism on a football forum. He's not yet at the level he needs to be. 

I say that as someone who realised, relatively recently, that he's actually younger than KDH. He has time to come good with experience and has the attributes of a good player. But he's not quite there yet and needs our encouragement and support on the pitch. The jury is out, but it's a while before it delivers a verdict. 

Edited by Jobyfox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, walkerleeds said:

He will take the armband from Kasper once he leaves IMO.

.....it would be the right position to have a skipper in the right area of the pitch!!!

I still believe Youri will still be here, and should we retain the midfield three it would be the ideal setup for Youri to run this team. This team is made for Youri, I sense he could end up managing us in the future.

He might just take off and go abroad but I just feel he feels at home here.