Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dirkster the Fox

Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall

10 hours ago, Koke said:

That's what I said post match and got laughed at. He's an OK player who works hard but he loses the ball way too much and his first touch isn't great. Good squad player to have but shouldn't be starting regularly.

One of the times he lost the ball led to a 1on1 with Ward, thankfully he saved it. That not withstanding he also did some good things, but like you, i don't think he should be an automatic starter with Praet in the squad. Against better teams when we need a more combative player, I'd  play KDH, but when we need more creativity, I'd play Praet.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sm1 said:

One of the times he lost the ball led to a 1on1 with Ward, thankfully he saved it. That not withstanding he also did some good things, but like you, i don't think he should be an automatic starter with Praet in the squad. Against better teams when we need a more combative player, I'd  play KDH, but when we need more creativity, I'd play Praet.

Only reason I would choose to play Praet ahead of KDH is when we want someone on the right to provide extra protection to Castagne and to move Maddison in the middle

Or when KDH is knackered

Praet hasn't been a creative or goalscoring player since he left Belgium

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
13 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Praet hasn't been a creative or goalscoring player since he left Belgium

When's KDH been one of them?

He gives us energy, running and the odd tackle. Loads of players give us that, even perez.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

When's KDH been one of them?

I never said he was?

But Praet isn't going to come in and do that any better than him either, and Praet definitely isn't going to press or defend from the front as well as KDH does

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
3 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I never said he was?

But Praet isn't going to come in and do that any better than him either, and Praet definitely isn't going to press or defend from the front as well as KDH does

Might not give the ball away so frequently though and critically he can actually play on the right allowing maddison to play centrally.

14 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Might not give the ball away so frequently though and critically he can actually play on the right allowing maddison to play centrally.

I think that's the one personnel change that should happen a bit more frequently. Some situations call for Praet to free up Maddison to move centrally and our right flank looks more fluent but others call for the front foot pressing that KDH is the leader at in our team and is no coincidence we've managed to maintain it almost every game in the last 6 weeks. 

I'd rotate them a bit more, certainly whilst KDH seems to not be hitting the consistent heights he seemed to hit last season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

For me the defensive / pressing work from the front that KDH puts in, whilst also still being a bit more creative than Praet is more beneficial than Praet being able to give the ball away a few less times a game.

Whilst I don't particularly like having Maddison "right mid" and would prefer him central it doesn't recently seem to be as much of an issue for us now as it was before with how much the defensive structure has improved.

Praet last season for Torino in an attacking mid / attacking right forward role vs KDH this season for us.

The benefits of the system with KDH largely outweigh bringing Praet into it ahead of him for me.

image.png.354c0099835b7ec9cd4648bf0b0d3f9a.png

Great healthy debate is definitely happening in here.

Whilst it has already been said but Praet coming in for KDH and offering what he did against Leeds wouldn’t be too bad, would those 70 minutes not have seen Praet “created two big chances” in that game alone?

On 06/11/2022 at 06:21, The_77 said:

I don’t know anyone who scoffs at him because he’s a local boy— you’d have to be crazy not to want him to succeed. 

Any CM in this league needs to be able to use both feet— this is a glaring weakness of his game and I think it’s the main thing holding him back. If he can fix that, then he’ll be twice as good as he is right now. 

And the stats just do not show that he’s in possession more than Tielemans. 

I'm not sure what his origin in Leicestershire has to do with my post.

Also, I'm not sure whether stats disproves anything I stated about what he contributes to the team.

My point is that he brings energy, determination and not insubstantial technical ability to the team.

Whilst you maintain that his supposed right foot weakness limits his contribution to the team, isn't it the greater advantage to have a left-footed player on the left? Again people are looking for a spurious reason to cast doubt on what he does for the team.

One can have a negative view of players or allow them the inevitable errors they make. I suspect that for you he's only ever going to be good enough if he can emulate Liam Brady.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, gerblod said:

I'm not sure what his origin in Leicestershire has to do with my post.

Also, I'm not sure whether stats disproves anything I stated about what he contributes to the team.

My point is that he brings energy, determination and not insubstantial technical ability to the team.

Whilst you maintain that his supposed right foot weakness limits his contribution to the team, isn't it the greater advantage to have a left-footed player on the left? Again people are looking for a spurious reason to cast doubt on what he does for the team.

One can have a negative view of players or allow them the inevitable errors they make. I suspect that for you he's only ever going to be good enough if he can emulate Liam Brady.

I really like KDH. There’s no reason to get all uptight at my response and assign a ridiculous viewpoint to me. 

You mentioned that people view him differently because he’s not a fancy import and I’m saying that, if anything, people like him more because he’s not.

He’s a good player. He’s a valuable good left-footed player, which we need. He’d be twice as good for us and remove any ceilings on his career if he gained a bit more confidence in his right foot. 

18 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

It's pretty simple, nobody else in our squad has the lungs of this man

He essentially presses as a 2nd striker, then gets back into position to defend before busting his guts to carry the ball forward again. Anyone else in the squad asked to do the same job would be blowing by the 70th minute

We look like a completely different team when set up to allow him to press high up the pitch. Everton and Wolves couldn’t handle it. 

17 minutes ago, ACF said:

Isn’t KDH losing the ball because he’s trying to be positive with it and create chances?

Granted sometimes it’s a poor decision or there’s a poor touch but I’d rather him try too much than not enough.

Could say exactly the same about Barnes tbh

If you see some of the balls KDH hits in the everton highlights they are top class. He is just about 1 season into his premier league career and so we might expect his decision making and consistency to need work. What you cant buy his tenacity, progressive running, discipline and link up with justin and barnes which is growing. I think he could well end up a left back pr wing back and i think should have been tried out cutting in from the right before now. 

Either way id rather have him and praet in the squad than lose either.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2022 at 16:12, SafewayFox said:

Which I totally get but name another CM in our PL history who has been so one footed?

Wingers definitely but CM’s, I can’t think of one as much as KDH…which is why he often turns into trouble and gives the ball away.

I like KDH but his lack of right foot is very frustrating for me.

There are loads of top players who have amazing careers who have only one foot.

I'll throw one name at you.

Maradona. 

He was all right footed and was not a bad footballer If I recall. 

If your thinking pure Premier league players how about 

Gerrard 

Lampard 

Arteta 

Carrick 

All predominantly right footed. 

Just few that spring to mind. 

1 hour ago, themightyfin said:

Maradona. 

Gerrard 

Lampard 

Arteta 

Carrick 

I assume that was a typo or sarcasm re Diego …….

most players are predominately right footed. They are encouraged to use their left foot as they progress through age groups. By the time they reach the levels we watch they really should be accomplished enough on their weaker foot to play fifteen/twenty yard passes on their left foot without a second thought.  I strongly doubt those you listed didn’t meet that criteria. 

KDH , as with many left footed players, are less able with their right foot than the majority right footed players are on their left. I wonder why left footed players are like this and can only think that coaches don’t push weaker foot  drills with those left footed players because they are always indulged on their favoured side of the pitch because they are fewer in numbers. Most right footed players will at some point have to play on the left (because there won’t be left footed options available) and therefore are pushed to use that weaker foot in training. 

madders often frustrates with his desire to use the outside of his right foot rather than his left instep. That sometimes means an extra step before the pass can be made (occasionally it’s a half step quicker which is better). 

Because kdh plays more infield now, he must be working on that right foot - I expect it’s also a confidence thing. 

the comments about his ability to be second press and still get back are v important to our set up are correct.

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Maradona. 

Gerrard 

Lampard 

Arteta 

Carrick 

I know the Maradona shout out was in jest but the other four CM’s that you mentioned were able to pick out a pass with their weaker foot.

I’m a big fan of KDH but it’s so easy to see that his resistance to even pick a simple pass out with his right foot has meant he turns into traffic in a congested middle of the pitch.

I do totally agree with his pressing being his biggest asset and what played a big part particularly in our recent away victories but will be consistent with my criticism of his lack of his right foot.

Edited by SafewayFox