Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AS78UK

Youri Tielemans

On 27/05/2021 at 19:22, gerblod said:

Not just us. City might be the stand-out exception but this denudation of class players, before they can contribute to furthering  their clubs position, is the name of the game.

It's been stated before, that this hasn't always been the case with the current clique, but some club or other has always had the financial clout to draw away the best players. Alan Clarke stayed for just one season before he went off to Leeds in 1969/70. But the maximum salary system had not long been abolished and players, even First Division ones, still needed financial security. That's just not the case any longer at this level.

I'm trying to find a rationale that places our club in a position of squad security and I just cannot.

All the justification for players to demonstrate a belief in a model that doesn't corner talent by the use of immense wealth, just doesn't compute with them. City might have the best training facility in the country, have the best British manager, have an owner who demonstrates decorum, generosity and morality and have great plans for the future - but that just doesn't work in the mindset of modern football.

The Club has weathered the loss of N'Golo, Mahrez, Maguire and Chilwell - really only Kante and Mahrez were real losses, but Youri is a more significant player than any of those, Kante included. He goes and a 'stinger' has been hurled in front of City's progress. He stays one season and that could be the positive needed to elevate our team. He goes and no KDH or Soumare is going to fill that space.

You're right - losing that CL place line as an excuse is a no-goer. That we're beset by clubs who actively will use their vast resources to negate everything good about the way our club is run - even to the point of still being able to bid for our players, in spite of their attempt to corner their power even more, is the prime reason.

Lovely Alan Clarke reference. :appl:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, OhYesNdidi said:

But if a sensible replacement hasn’t been identified or there just isn’t one on the market, what’s the point? We’d be better off keeping him then

Im sure we will have identified long term replacements for all our star players. If he doesn't sign a new deal and we don't sell him this summer then we will not make a profit on him. Our whole transfer model is built on signing players, developing them and selling them for a profit. I really don't want us to lose Youri but we have to be realistic in that the club cannot afford to make a loss/not make a profit on one of our top players. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, splinterdream said:

Depends upon if Rodgers is confident enough we can make top 4 with incoming players next season.

It'd be a gamble, but a gamble the club might decide to make, if we can't get anymore than £60m and we bought him for £40m, with a percentage going to Monaco, then the club needs to be confident of a replacement good enough for that fee.

I wouldn't blame Youri for wanting to leave, he's good enough for CL and I think some of the players around him have let him down, the club should have been more ruthless in the January window.

Even if we make top 4 next season, there are no guarantees he would stay/sign a new deal anyway. We could finish top 4 and he still leaves next summer for a knockdown price with only a year left on his deal. Whatever Rudkin/Top decide to do, I'm sure it will be for the best interests of the club. 

19 hours ago, MGLCFC said:

I think £80m in the current global market with clubs affected by COVID is probably on the steep side. I would suggest £60m is more realistic. However, it works the other way too, what would have cost us £25m last year to buy in someone would probably be nearer £15m this year.

We won't sell him for £60m this summer when you consider sell on fee to Monaco we would barely make a profit. £80m minimum this summer or keep him and hope he can push us into top 4 next year, identify a replacement (if we haven't already) and then sell him cheaper next summer if he doesn't sign a new deal. Would rather keep him than sell him for £60m when we would possibly have to give Monaco anywhere from £6-12m depending on sell on %

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

We won't sell him for £60m this summer when you consider sell on fee to Monaco we would barely make a profit. £80m minimum this summer or keep him and hope he can push us into top 4 next year, identify a replacement (if we haven't already) and then sell him cheaper next summer if he doesn't sign a new deal. Would rather keep him than sell him for £60m when we would possibly have to give Monaco anywhere from £6-12m depending on sell on %

Whats the sell on fee to Monaco - I didn’t recall that being made public ???

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Even if we make top 4 next season, there are no guarantees he would stay/sign a new deal anyway. We could finish top 4 and he still leaves next summer for a knockdown price with only a year left on his deal. Whatever Rudkin/Top decide to do, I'm sure it will be for the best interests of the club. 

Yes but top 4 money may make up for loss if he were to go.

It seems to me 1 advantage we have is he's guaranteed to be 1st choice on the first 11 team sheet, we more or less build a team around him whereas elsewhere that may not be the case.

I think he has experiened what it is like to be out of favour and does enjoy being in the limelight.

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

The only thing that would make him leave is Money. IT's the one area we can't quite compete with the top 6. 

I think when he see's the quality of the signings we're making I think he'll stay. 

Let's hope so anyway.

I think Haaland is a good template for the reality of the situation.  He was recently asked about Dortmund and his response was "Well, I'm under contract.  Since they made the CL I'll probably stay one more year.  It was a relief to secure that spot. It was really important."

Is Tielemans Haaland?  Obviously not.  Haaland is arguably the most valuable commodity in football at the moment, and Youri... isn't.  But he's probably the closest thing we have at the moment.  And Dortmund is really the model for what our sustained success might look like - clubs like, them, Atalanta, Ajax.  Champions League is what matters to these world class players, who are going to get paid a lot of money wherever they are.  Without that to offer, we can't really compete for truly world class players.  If Tielemans weren't already a Leicester player, we would have no chance to get him coming off the two seasons he's just had.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I think Haaland is a good template for the reality of the situation.  He was recently asked about Dortmund and his response was "Well, I'm under contract.  Since they made the CL I'll probably stay one more year.  It was a relief to secure that spot. It was really important."

Is Tielemans Haaland?  Obviously not.  Haaland is arguably the most valuable commodity in football at the moment, and Youri... isn't.  But he's probably the closest thing we have at the moment.  And Dortmund is really the model for what our sustained success might look like - clubs like, them, Atalanta, Ajax.  Champions League is what matters to these world class players, who are going to get paid a lot of money wherever they are.  Without that to offer, we can't really compete for truly world class players.  If Tielemans weren't already a Leicester player, we would have no chance to get him coming off the two seasons he's just had.

Was he that great in 19/20?

2 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

...strange that Monaco are looking to make money on him, when their supporters could not wait to get rid of him!!!

With Jardim, it was obvious that he did not want him in the team and it seemed at one stage that a we could pick him up without any additional cost. It would be very painful to give them more money in respect of any profit we make on any sale.

9 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Whats the sell on fee to Monaco - I didn’t recall that being made public ???

I'm just guessing that they are nornally between 10 and 20%. Not sure if there actually is one but I'd be very surprised if Monaco didn't put one in given his age and potential. 

7 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...strange that Monaco are looking to make money on him, when their supporters could not wait to get rid of him!!!

With Jardim, it was obvious that he did not want him in the team and it seemed at one stage that a we could pick him up without any additional cost. It would be very painful to give them more money in respect of any profit we make on any sale.

Yes but the supporters and Jardim have nothing to do with transfer negotiations with us. I don't know for definite that they have put in a sell on clause but if they haven't then the people doing the transfer business at Monaco must be as bad as Woodward! 

3 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Yes but the supporters and Jardim have nothing to do with transfer negotiations with us. I don't know for definite that they have put in a sell on clause but if they haven't then the people doing the transfer business at Monaco must be as bad as Woodward! 

...at the time it was (Monaco) perceived that there was no upside to having him!!!

It is true that the supporters and Jardim do not negotiate contracts but at the time, getting him out the door was essential, as he would have languished in their reserves, because Jardim did not want him anywhere near him.

Monaco has played an absolute blinder getting a sell on clause (if it proves to be the case) and we must have shown some kind of naivety to put that deal into play.

He was never going to be part of their team that season and Monacos' strategy paid dividends, as he performed at a high class and justified his price,  comparitive to players performing at that standard.

He has proven he was worth the money we paid, but their was a potential I believe to get a better deal.

38 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

I'm just guessing that they are nornally between 10 and 20%. Not sure if there actually is one but I'd be very surprised if Monaco didn't put one in given his age and potential. 

They aren’t really standard though 

they tend to be where young players move for a lowish fee