Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AS78UK

Youri Tielemans

20 minutes ago, glenny_fox said:

Don't know how reliable this guy is, but thought I'd post to stoke the fires some more.

I can't see Liverpool paying the money we'd want though.

That tweet might as well have been written by Vicky Pollard 

Guest LonnieDon
1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

He's probably worth more than that to us tbf.

For sure 92. But if he has to go ...£100 million, no less.😊

Guest LonnieDon
4 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

But how do we ever become the end game if we keep selling the type of player that could get us there?

Ah, but there's the rub. We could only keep a talent like Tielemans, if we had a team full of Tielemans.  If you get my drift .

7 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

But how do we ever become the end game if we keep selling the type of player that could get us there?

Realistic answer - we probably don't ever become the end-game. The chance of us being able to consistently complete, over the course of even a single generation, with the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea (I think Liverpool are slightly more vulnerable to dropping off their perch in terms of where their money comes from), is extremely low. I don't think you appreciate how much money they can throw at things.

More optimistic answer - by continuing to replace players before they even leave and by continuing to ensure the infrastructure and backroom staffing is as good as anywhere else even if the transfer budget isn't.

I think if you're genuinely holding out on Leicester becoming a consistently top top team, and you will be aversely mentally affected by them failing to do so, I would have a serious think about that.

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 3

I don't think he'll go to Liverpool. 

It's only quoted that price because that's probably what they can afford.

Our asking price will be at least double that. We won't be ripped off like we were with Kante - club has learned the lessons. 

Plus Liverpool already have Thiago in that position. Tielemans will be too costly for them.

8 minutes ago, Bryn said:

Realistic answer - we probably don't ever become the end-game. The chance of us being able to consistently complete, over the course of even a single generation, with the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea (I think Liverpool are slightly more vulnerable to dropping off their perch in terms of where their money comes from), is extremely low. I don't think you appreciate how much money they can throw at things.

More optimistic answer - by continuing to replace players before they even leave and by continuing to ensure the infrastructure and backroom staffing is as good as anywhere else even if the transfer budget isn't.

I think if you're genuinely holding out on Leicester becoming a consistently top top team, and you will be aversely mentally affected by them failing to do so, I would have a serious think about that.

So what you are saying, there is no point in football, because we will always fail to compete with the big boys, financially. Wonder if Blackpool, Notts County etc thought they would always rule the footy world back in the 1930's. 

I don't expect to see a sismic change in 5 years, but just maybe, 15 years down the line we may be able to compete. Let's face  it, where would  Man City and Chelsea be without their oil money.

Edited by MGLCFC

13 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

This is what i keep telling people, they seem to think we could hold out for £80-£100m  but if he wants to go this year i think we're looking at trying to achieve £65m which would drop significantly if we held him for another year, and the bidding club knows that. This is an unsettling exercise

Yeah unfortunately people get hung up on the Maguire fee as a benchmark. Getting that money for Maguire was an outlier.

Although Tielemans is a far better player of course, given his contract, the fact he's not English and an economic re-adjustment of the transfer market post covid it's not cut and dried that the fee for Tielemans exceeds that of Maguire unfortunately.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

No direct quotes. No sensible figure for starting bids. No real background work. Yeah, this is a bit of agent talk. Hopefully to push up Youri’s much deserved pay rise.

Why on earth would we want to sell him to a top four club like Liverpool. Its pretty obvious to everyone the current squad does not have enough depth so it would be a crazy decision to sell Youri, why weaken our team to improve Liverpool?

We need 3-4 experienced heads to provide more support for him and an improved deal. We were caught out last season when we were struggling with injuries and next season we have to get our act together, third time lucky. 

2 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

So what you are saying, there is no point in football, because we will always fail to compete with the big boys, financially. Wonder if Blackpool, Notts County etc thought they would always rule the footy world back in the 1930's. 

I don't expect to see a sismic change in 5 years, but just maybe, 15 years down the line we may be able to compete. Let's face  it, where would  Man City and Chelsea be without their oil money.

It's a different era I'm afraid. If you don't see the point in supporting Leicester because they're unlikely to be the dominant force in English football I think you're absolutely crackers.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

We never will be. End of story, unless someone comes in and spends Chelsea or Man City money. Even then... they can lose their best players.

Just now, MGLCFC said:

I don't expect to see a sismic change in 5 years, but just maybe, 15 years down the line we may be able to compete. Let's face where we're Man City and Chelsea without their oil money.

I don't think he's saying that at all. I think he's merely saying that these bigger clubs have far greater resource streams than Leicester and likely always will. In football nowadays unfortunately money generally talks, over the long term anyway. Therefore the best way for Leicester to make up that shortfall is to be more creative and outperform these clubs in the transfer market, make money go further essentially. To do this a necessary evil is to consistently buy low and sell when a player's stock is high and rinse and repeat. 

Guys like Tielemans are going to the top of the game and as such will demand salaries to reflect, 200-300k a week, maybe more. Unless Leicester pluck a new revenue stream out of thin air that brings in another £100m a season to pay 5 or 6 Tielemans type players these wages to make them stay then the only route to competing, punching above our weight if you will is to generate revenue by bringing in more than these clubs from the transfer market.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bryn said:

I agree with this.

Us getting onto being level-pegging with the elite few is a bit of a pipe dream. Even if it did happen, it would take years and years of competing at the top end of the table, which is no mean feat.

However, that isn't to say that we can't keep improving. As you mention, I think the key is keeping our scouting and recruitment standards as high as they are now. If we can keep up or stay ahead of the pack in that regard, then I think we're onto a winner.

It's a lot easier said than done, but if we can keep on boxing clever re: buying and selling players wisely, then I think we will, slowly but surely, carry on closing the gap between us and the greedy 6 on and off the pitch.

• Like 1

Just now, Bryn said:

It's a different era I'm afraid. If you don't see the point in supporting Leicester because they're unlikely to be the dominant force in English football I think you're absolutely crackers.

A bit patronising. I support Leicester because I dream of them being the best. Having watched the highs and lows, it's just frustrated to lose players who make a difference. I can assure I'm neither frackers or rude to other posters.

Guest StevieLynex
52 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

£40m lol

Yeah he's definitely half of a Maguire 

And only £10m more than Perez