Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AS78UK

Youri Tielemans

We sold maguire to mufc and they pipped us to the cl.

Then we sold chilly to Chelsea who pipped us to the cl.

Now liverpool want youri... 

We have to stop stengthening these clubs who are now our direct competitors. If we have ambition then Top must say no.

• Like 3

Just now, foxinsocks said:

We have to stop stengthening these clubs who are now our direct competitors. If we have ambition then Top must say no.

I don't mind us selling to the big clubs so long as it doesn't weaken us - only the Kante and Mahrez sales did that IMO and it's only Mahrez's genius we haven't really been able to replicate with Wilf being Wilf. Even then it's like we embraced the fact that Mahrez is impossible to 'replace' and went a different way for creativity, and ended up with Maddison and Barnes doing their own thing.

Drinkwater, Maguire and Chilwell went for £160m between them at £145m profit, and we didn't even miss them. 

Having said all that I'm quietly confident we won't have to sell anyone at all this summer.

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

I don't mind us selling to the big clubs so long as it doesn't weaken us - only the Kante and Mahrez sales did that IMO and it's only Mahrez's genius we haven't really been able to replicate with Wilf being Wilf. Even then it's like we embraced the fact that Mahrez is impossible to 'replace' and went a different way for creativity, and ended up with Maddison and Barnes doing their own thing.

Drinkwater, Maguire and Chilwell went for £160m between them at £145m profit, and we didn't even miss them. 

Having said all that I'm quietly confident we won't have to sell anyone at all this summer.

Right now we need a bigger squad with quality options.   We need to accumulate. 

Just now, foxinsocks said:

Right now we need a bigger squad with quality options.   We need to accumulate. 

Precisely, which is why think we'll keep Youri. Winning the cup, moving to Seagrave and signing the likes of Daka and Soumare are all massive statements about where we're going as a club. If Youri signs that's the biggest statement yet.

8 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I don't think Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool are our direct competitors myself, we've done well against them past couple fo seasons but money talks and i just don't see we can compete. i think we have a legitimate claim competing with Arsenal and Spurs for top 6 and maybe we get lucky, but top 4, i'm not so sure, and if we get 4th, do we even qualify next season anyway with the new system?

1 hour ago, foxinsocks said:

They may have pipped us, but we brought in players with those transfer fees to strengthen us in weaker areas, all in order to keep us competitive. Basically we'd probably not been anywhere near being 'pipped' had we not sold and bolstered the team.

Ideally we'd not want to do this with Youri or someone else this season, but we've reinforced other areas where we needed it, and it this is a necessity to afford further signings or the elusive winger we need, then so be it. I'd obviously hope with the FFP restrictions loosened this summer, we can afford to be less frugal and sell next summer without having to purge our other key players, but have a strong team in-depth, that have played together for another year.

• Like 3

It concerns me that we may feel we have to offer Tielemans an astronomically high wage to keep him, especially if the realistic aim is only to extend his stay by only a year (admittedly with a contract extension that enables us to demand a good price for him next year).  It may set a dangerous precedent by encouraging all our other players to demand increases that set a new high level for the average contract, one that would cripple our finances.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

if Liverpool do want him we should insist that we get either Harvey Elliott or Curtis Jones as part of the deal

Elliott has just signed a new contract but he is down the pecking order at Anfield. He is not Scouse so no real attachment there. He is extraordinarily mature for his age and would quickly force himself into our starting eleven. A different player to Youri of course but as a wide right or central attacking midfielder would be a real asset.

Guest ttfn
Just now, deep blue said:

It concerns me that we may feel we have to offer Tielemans an astronomically high wage to keep him, especially if the realistic aim is only to extend his stay by only a year (admittedly with a contract extension that enables us to demand a good price for him next year).  It may set a dangerous precedent by encouraging all our other players to demand increases that set a new high level for the average contract, one that would cripple our finances.

If the other players were as good/indispensable as Tielemans then we wouldn’t have a problem paying them as we’d be in the Champions League every season.

Pay him what he’s worth. This is a long-term project with a young team and he is undoubtedly the jewel in the crown. We will not be able to sign anybody who is currently anywhere near his level; I’m pretty confident losing him this summer would set us back 18-24 months in the same way losing Mahrez did.

Nobody is going to begrudge him becoming the highest earner at the club, certainly not if they didn’t begrudge Maddison being the second-highest earner when he signed his new contract last year.

A revised contract is more than reasonable, look at his last season, then remember the previous season and a half where he would often need to come off n 70 mins or be rested on the bench compared to last season whether through necessity or fitness / durability there has been an improvement in his availability and input and as for performance...woah, just a class act from day one. He's now completely sussed the league and the pace of the game here and is imposing himself on games, dominating many of them. He hit the ground running considering his age when he joined and now he's sprinting, in many other walks of life you'd be called into the office and offered an improved deal for your improved output. I do see him as a great fit for Liverpool but sorry if you want a world class player with years and years ahead of him that's a premium transfer fee. Hope he stays, with Wes, the new signings and Harvey and James Justin we have the nucleus of a group that could fuse into our core for many many years to come. And maybe Madders. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Elliott has just signed a new contract but he is down the pecking order at Anfield. He is not Scouse so no real attachment there. He is extraordinarily mature for his age and would quickly force himself into our starting eleven. A different player to Youri of course but as a wide right or central attacking midfielder would be a real asset.

You have a player who Liverpool probably want to keep in our starting 11 as part of a deal getting rid of a player we want to keep.  What nonsense.