Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AS78UK

Youri Tielemans

4 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Not entertaining a move…. If anyone comes sniffing £100m at least. Grealish couldn’t sniff the sweat round his bollocks. 

I actually feel that you are wrong !!

I'm certain that Grealish has lots experience sniffing sweaty bollocks !

5 hours ago, UHDrive said:

Name me a player from our club, with his resale value that we haven't had his contract dealt with for resale purposes after the 2 year marker...

I think the last paragraph is naive because hes potentially a £100mill player. Going on those circumstances next summer with a year left he'll be worth tens of millions lower.

Yeah but that’s completely his choice. If he wishes to run his contract down to get a preferred move for himself, then that’s that.

If he was forcing a move (Mahrez style), then we could complain that he isn’t willing to honour his contract. If he is willing to honour his contract and leave when it expires (or closer to it expiring) he has every right. Lower transfer fee, much higher wages. It’s sh!t for us, yeah, but it’s not underhand on his behalf.

• Like 1

He and his agent are keeping him in a strong position so that we can’t block moves by demanding huge money, we might already have done so for all we know.

I’ll say it again, he only signed for 4 years for a reason.

The only way he signs is with some sort of personal or contractual agreement in place that he can leave if x,y,z come knocking and offer x amount. Or it’s just a short one year extension.

• Like 4

All we can do is offer him the best contract we can, and perhaps come to a compromise about a realise fee.

Realistically, he knows if he gets to next summer, we don't be able to turn down an offer in the £40m region. So he could try and negotiate a relatively small release fee eg. £50-60m (small compared to what some players are going for anyway). The club are then in the position of probably having to accept it on the basis of it being more than we'd get if he doesn't sign. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

All we can do is offer him the best contract we can, and perhaps come to a compromise about a realise fee.

Realistically, he knows if he gets to next summer, we don't be able to turn down an offer in the £40m region. So he could try and negotiate a relatively small release fee eg. £50-60m (small compared to what some players are going for anyway). The club are then in the position of probably having to accept it on the basis of it being more than we'd get if he doesn't sign. 

Reality is a bugger isn’t it …………

Guest Chocolate Teapot
57 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Or hes just waiting out for the biggest offer he can get and his agent is negotiating. 

It's his job full stop. He will quite rightly do what's best for him and his family, both financially and to try and realise any personal career ambitions. We'd all, I suggest, in our own working lives, do exactly the same. 

I'm sure he cares about Leicester City as a club and it's fans but that can only go so far, it's nothing personal. Whether we like it or not, at this point in time, we're not Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Real Madrid or even Manchester United. Even forgetting the money, it's his footballing legacy, he will want to test himself playing for the best against the best. Good luck to him.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Or hes just waiting out for the biggest offer he can get and his agent is negotiating. 

There is that, but I feel only signing a 4 year contract at the start is a big giveaway in his thinking.

5 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

It's his job full stop. He will quite rightly do what's best for him and his family, both financially and to try and realise any personal career ambitions. We'd all, I suggest, in our own working lives, do exactly the same. 

I'm sure he cares about Leicester City as a club and it's fans but that can only go so far, it's nothing personal. Whether we like it or not, at this point in time, we're not Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Real Madrid or even Manchester United. Even forgetting the money, it's his footballing legacy, he will want to test himself playing for the best against the best. Good luck to him.

Why do people say ‘full stop’ as if no

counter-argument is allowed? Whenever people do that someone immediately gives a counter-argument and proves them wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Seems a reasonable guess at what going on.

Whilst not ideal, if we get another year and our money back, it's not the end of the world.

I think he’s waiting to see how we’re progressing. To see if we can establish ourselves at the top. I’m sure we’ll offer him top dollar in his new contract but obviously we can’t compete with the big clubs but could they even offer him £200k and pay £50-£60m, probably.

The guy appreciates Leicester but he deserves to be in the champs league so we can’t begrudge him if we can’t get to that top level.

Sign a solid RW, not be as unlucky as last season with injuries and we could make that break through.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

counter-argument is allowed? Whenever people do that someone immediately gives a counter-argument and proves them wrong.

Could be worse, the poster could have put a full stop after it.................oh wait a minute.

• Haha 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
41 minutes ago, Babylon said:

There is that, but I feel only signing a 4 year contract at the start is a big giveaway in his thinking.

Seems to be the going rate. Same with maddison. 

46 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

Yes, I do take your point but in fairness but it was merely written largely to accentuate that it is just 'his job'. On the argument itself however, sometimes the balance of probabilities make it very rare for a different outcome. Sometimes supporters lose their grasp on reality because of their love for their club and think that footballers share their emotional commitment and loyalty. The overwhelming truth would be that, to a large extent, footballers are very similar to us in that they have personal and financial goals, sometimes with extended family also to consider. It is natural in all of us to try and attain the best that we can. Loyalty to a club is necessarily quite fickle, just like supporters are quite fickle in their support to individual players.

There is nothing to suggest that Youri isn't anything but very happy at Leicester City, both the set up, the management and his team-mates. Those things alone are positive reasons to stay, particularly with a young family. However, for the reasons stated, it's more than a little likely that he and his advisors are looking elsewhere. He's a young man who's been prepared to move country twice already and permanent roots at this stage of his life are unlikely when you potentially have the world at your feet. We'd not only have to offer an incredible financial package but also provide the football ambitions of the big clubs within his playing lifetime. I don't think that is readily achievable. Neither is it a slight on club or player, it's just how it is at this point in time. 

Edited by volpeazzurro

7 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Seems to be the going rate. Same with maddison. 

His original contract was 5 years. Renewals are a bit different as the player has already generally been here a while. 

There is no way on earth we paid the amount we did for Tielemans and didn't want him to sign for 5 years. So they clearly specified they wanted 4. 

• Like 2

Guest Chocolate Teapot
5 minutes ago, jruizc_ said:

And with Barnes if Ornstein's info is correct

Something to do with it being a sweetshop for renegotiation I'd imagine.

5 years means a player will wait three years before a club wants to renew. 4 and they've got to wait two which gives them some opportunity to grow.

I also notice post pandemic contracts are generally getting shorter for us. Iheanacho and Evans both signed for a year less than I'd imagined.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
Just now, Babylon said:

His original contract was 5 years. Renewals are a bit different as the player has already generally been here a while. 

There is no way on earth we paid the amount we did for Tielemans and didn't want him to sign for 5 years. So they clearly specified they wanted 4. 

His agent wanted to wait for a bigger club, youri didn't (that's widely reported). The club were open with him that if a big offer came in they wouldn't stand in his way and they'd offer him a chance to rebuild his reputation post Monaco. Exactly the same is happening now. Still confident he'll sign. There's some unnecessary doom mongering on this. Club just need to make it worth his while thar he doesn't sit it out for another year. They're not miles apart - would have been rejected if that were the case.

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Something to do with it being a sweetshop for renegotiation I'd imagine.

5 years means a player will wait three years before a club wants to renew. 4 and they've got to wait two which gives them some opportunity to grow.

I also notice post pandemic contracts are generally getting shorter for us. Iheanacho and Evans both signed for a year less than I'd imagined.

Its a tricky situation. Our players have shown they are capable of slotting into a top 4 side, by being important members of a squad thats remained in a top 4 position for most of the last 2 seasons.

Who wouldn't want to be the next player offered stupid money each week by Man City, PSG or Chelsea?

Their agents will also know that if we continue to play well and get into Europe we'll have to offer them better contracts to fall more in line with the salaries offered by the other clubs who make it into Europe regularly. We don't pay our players badly compared to most teams, but we're not able to offer the wages some can, and while we may never be able to match them, each successful year closes the gap ever so slightly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I don't see how the club not letting other players' contracts run down is relevant. I want him to sign a new contract and I'm sure the club do, too. He might not want to. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Could you explain how me saying we shouldn't expect Youri to sign a new contract is naive? I'd say the opposite is true, if anything. I know he's a highly valuable player. I know his value will be lower next summer when he enters the final year of his contract. I never said otherwise. I'm just saying I don't think we should assume he'll be signing a new contract. He'll be aware that there are bigger clubs interested, and it's in his interests to not sign a new contract with us if he thinks he might want to move on in the next two years.

I think that's a bit of a stretch. It's not like no-one else was interested, is it? Man Utd were sniffing around!

Okay. We have been good for him, but I don't think that means he should feel he has to stay here for the rest of his career.

I don't want people to get their hopes up too much that he'll be signing a new contract. I don't think it looks very likely at this point. I don't want people to turn on him if he doesn't, either. He doesn't deserve that.

You haven't answered my previous post or even attempted to side step it.

Tielemans is our highest valued asset and its becoming apparent that the club (unless there are external factors at play that I can't imagine would be likely) have made a mistake by allowing his 4 year contract to not have been renegotiated for sell on purposes and have let this slip inside of 2 years of the 4 years left. 

Some thought it was a gamble bringing him in on loan with no PL experience. After his loan period quite a few were surprised, me included, at the 4 year contract instead of 5. Tielemans then had an up and down 1st year with us where is stamina levels weren't up to speed nor was his tracking back. Since then he's blown the PL away and consolidated his position in the Belgium squad as a mainstay midfielder. 

We should've nailed this contract extension last season or at least got some clarity on it because all we've heard for 9 months now from both parties is that we're working on it. 

When it comes to player sales, which you yourself have so often complimented the clubs model of buy talent, turn into stars and sell for a profit to by more talent. Well that's not the case with tielemans anymore is it? Look at what @Babylon has said about figures of £40mil (which I agree with). We are powerless now as a club and tielemans holds all of the cards cash wise. We should've knocked his contract on the head last season, given him a release clause of £100mill if necessary (before you say it I know we don't do them) and gone into this season being able to forward plan with other players with those funds potentially coming in. 

But as others have said, if the current situation stays the same come next summer, then we'll likely be selling him at a LOSS of roughly £60mil. 

12 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

You haven't answered my previous post or even attempted to side step it.

Tielemans is our highest valued asset and its becoming apparent that the club (unless there are external factors at play that I can't imagine would be likely) have made a mistake by allowing his 4 year contract to not have been renegotiated for sell on purposes and have let this slip inside of 2 years of the 4 years left. 

Some thought it was a gamble bringing him in on loan with no PL experience. After his loan period quite a few were surprised, me included, at the 4 year contract instead of 5. Tielemans then had an up and down 1st year with us where is stamina levels weren't up to speed nor was his tracking back. Since then he's blown the PL away and consolidated his position in the Belgium squad as a mainstay midfielder. 

We should've nailed this contract extension last season or at least got some clarity on it because all we've heard for 9 months now from both parties is that we're working on it. 

When it comes to player sales, which you yourself have so often complimented the clubs model of buy talent, turn into stars and sell for a profit to by more talent. Well that's not the case with tielemans anymore is it? Look at what @Babylon has said about figures of £40mil (which I agree with). We are powerless now as a club and tielemans holds all of the cards cash wise. We should've knocked his contract on the head last season, given him a release clause of £100mill if necessary (before you say it I know we don't do them) and gone into this season being able to forward plan with other players with those funds potentially coming in. 

But as others have said, if the current situation stays the same come next summer, then we'll likely be selling him at a LOSS of roughly £60mil. 

Can't make someone sign a contract if they don't want to - no matter what incentives we offer. We have no idea about Tielemans' demands. Naive to think otherwise. 

(Imagine Youri will only sign a contract with a £50m release clause. Would that help us?) 

• Thanks 1