Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AS78UK

Youri Tielemans

9 minutes ago, Clogger_ said:

Can't make someone sign a contract if they don't want to - no matter what incentives we offer. We have no idea about Tielemans' demands. Naive to think otherwise. 

(Imagine Youri will only sign a contract with a £50m release clause. Would that help us?) 

The clubs ethos isn't about making players sign contracts, it's about maximising profits to invest in other players.

46 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

There’s no way that’s true lol 

Pretty sure this is true because shortly after Maddison signed a new deal, Vardy signed a new one too. So at the time that probably meant Vardy and Maddison were our top earners, with Kasper next. Vardy did have a great season that year, but given his age we probably didn't have to worry too much about him leaving. If he goes it will be to go to the MLS for one final pay day, or back to Sheffield Wednesday as he's a supporter. You have to remember that he had a release clause that Arsenal met, so in getting him to stay on back then we probably did everything possible, including that clause.

If he has one, it's no bother to me. He's the most legendary player of our generation, if not the entire club's history. Look at Messi leaving Barcelona going to PSG and imagine how that feels as a Barcelona fan. We did what it took to keep him and he paid it back handsomely. We have a history of players who maybe shouldn't get a new contract getting one anyway like King, James, etc, but if there was one player in our history that deserves special treatment it's JV.

The Maddison contract might seem over the top given he's not as good as other players in the squad, but as proven with the Arsenal interest this summer, being English makes him an incredibly valuable commodity. I reckon we will sell Maddison for more than we get for Soyuncu, Tielemans, Ndidi, Ricardo, etc just because he's English. Only Barnes and maybe Fofana would go for more, one because he's English and the other because he looks like a generational talent in the mould of Raphael Varane.

As for Youri I think this is his last season with us. Would be lovely to keep him, but the guy is probably the best midfielder we've ever had and in that FA Cup goal cements himself as a legendary player at the club. When he goes I just hope it's to a club abroad, but regardless he is good enough to be at a team competing to win the Champions League. The fact that Chilwell has a Champions League winners medal and Tielemans does not is quite hard to believe!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Something to do with it being a sweetshop for renegotiation I'd imagine.

5 years means a player will wait three years before a club wants to renew. 4 and they've got to wait two which gives them some opportunity to grow.

I also notice post pandemic contracts are generally getting shorter for us. Iheanacho and Evans both signed for a year less than I'd imagined.

3 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

His agent wanted to wait for a bigger club, youri didn't (that's widely reported). The club were open with him that if a big offer came in they wouldn't stand in his way and they'd offer him a chance to rebuild his reputation post Monaco. Exactly the same is happening now. Still confident he'll sign. There's some unnecessary doom mongering on this. Club just need to make it worth his while thar he doesn't sit it out for another year. They're not miles apart - would have been rejected if that were the case.

2 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

The clubs ethos isn't about making players sign contracts, it's about maximising profits to invest in other players.

Agree with These 3 posts..

Just a thought....

I Dont think Foreign Players at Tielemans Stage of career, are Desperate to up their PL experience,

they are more likely to sit and wait anything from  2-4 seasons,

for One of the other European-Leagues Giants to come a knocking...

The Leicester story, already gives them and their agents high recognition, riding the "unfinished- business"  and being Part of something different..

Plus any injury stage, Leicester has Proven to be more than fair & Loyal..

In the end, if also depends on those individual-Deep thoughts & Make-up of that individual...Some aint easy bought & the glitz of bigger named clubs,

can wait ist time

Maddison,Amartey,Nacho, Ndidi,Ricardo,Vardy,Soyu, and Tielemans, seem to be of that Vogue

1 hour ago, UHDrive said:

You haven't answered my previous post or even attempted to side step it.

Tielemans is our highest valued asset and its becoming apparent that the club (unless there are external factors at play that I can't imagine would be likely) have made a mistake by allowing his 4 year contract to not have been renegotiated for sell on purposes and have let this slip inside of 2 years of the 4 years left. 

Some thought it was a gamble bringing him in on loan with no PL experience. After his loan period quite a few were surprised, me included, at the 4 year contract instead of 5. Tielemans then had an up and down 1st year with us where is stamina levels weren't up to speed nor was his tracking back. Since then he's blown the PL away and consolidated his position in the Belgium squad as a mainstay midfielder. 

We should've nailed this contract extension last season or at least got some clarity on it because all we've heard for 9 months now from both parties is that we're working on it. 

When it comes to player sales, which you yourself have so often complimented the clubs model of buy talent, turn into stars and sell for a profit to by more talent. Well that's not the case with tielemans anymore is it? Look at what @Babylon has said about figures of £40mil (which I agree with). We are powerless now as a club and tielemans holds all of the cards cash wise. We should've knocked his contract on the head last season, given him a release clause of £100mill if necessary (before you say it I know we don't do them) and gone into this season being able to forward plan with other players with those funds potentially coming in. 

But as others have said, if the current situation stays the same come next summer, then we'll likely be selling him at a LOSS of roughly £60mil. 

You can't force someone to sign, he could run his contract down and we can do nothing about it. That, is the player prerogative. 

I can only surmise, that the cards they (he and his agent) are playing, are to make it easier for him to leave IF he wants to. And by that, I mean we can't hold clubs over a barrel for a huge fee (£100m), so I doubt very much he'd sign anything with a fee anything close to that.

The only position of strength we have is if we intimate we'd rather keep him for two years than sell him (which they know is unlikely), as it might draw a compromise. I'm hoping that's where we'll end up. But I wouldn't be shocked if certain clubs have been in his agents ear, and they are all positioning themselves for a move next summer (I'm looking at Man U and Liverpool).

You haven't answered my previous post or even attempted to side step it.

Tielemans is our highest valued asset and its becoming apparent that the club (unless there are external factors at play that I can't imagine would be likely) have made a mistake by allowing his 4 year contract to not have been renegotiated for sell on purposes and have let this slip inside of 2 years of the 4 years left. 

Some thought it was a gamble bringing him in on loan with no PL experience. After his loan period quite a few were surprised, me included, at the 4 year contract instead of 5. Tielemans then had an up and down 1st year with us where is stamina levels weren't up to speed nor was his tracking back. Since then he's blown the PL away and consolidated his position in the Belgium squad as a mainstay midfielder. 

We should've nailed this contract extension last season or at least got some clarity on it because all we've heard for 9 months now from both parties is that we're working on it. 

When it comes to player sales, which you yourself have so often complimented the clubs model of buy talent, turn into stars and sell for a profit to by more talent. Well that's not the case with tielemans anymore is it? Look at what @Babylon has said about figures of £40mil (which I agree with). We are powerless now as a club and tielemans holds all of the cards cash wise. We should've knocked his contract on the head last season, given him a release clause of £100mill if necessary (before you say it I know we don't do them) and gone into this season being able to forward plan with other players with those funds potentially coming in. 

But as others have said, if the current situation stays the same come next summer, then we'll likely be selling him at a LOSS of roughly £60mil. 

I told you why I didn't answer your post - I can't work out what naming another player in the same situation would achieve. All players are different and their contract renewals are all affected by many different factors.

I think you're making renewing Youri's contract seem a lot easier than it probably actually is. How can we know if the club has made a mistake or not? The club may have done all it can to get him to sign, but they cannot force him. He's within his rights not to. You might say we should have sold him by now, but we don't know if anyone has made an offer that we'd consider anything close to acceptable. If you consider the number of clubs in the world that could afford him, especially in the current climate, it seems very plausible to me that they wouldn't have.

What does the 4 year contract, rather than 5, tell you? I think it's clear that he didn't want to be tied down here for too long as he backs himself to be at a bigger club.

Again, what if Youri doesn't want to sign a new contract, and we don't get the offers we want? Isn't that a possibility? I think it's possible that there isn't a contract we could realistically offer Youri that he would sign. You acknowledge that we don't do min. release clauses anymore, but even so, I can't imagine he'd agree to one that high. There might as well not be one as far as he's concerned. Perhaps even a min. release clause at a pittance wouldn't be enough of an incentive for Youri to agree to a new contract.

There's some preaching to the choir in your post. I'm not sure what you think my point is. I'm not saying the club are bad at buying or selling players - far from it. I'm just saying that it appears to me that Youri doesn't want to rule out a move in the next year or two, and that we shouldn't get our hopes up that he'll renew his contract.

I know that we won't get much for him now. Perhaps the club have decided that in this case, it's better to keep the player for a year than sell for maximum profit. If there ever was a player to do that with, then it's Youri.

If I was being optimistic about it, I might hope that achieving top 4 might be enough to get him to stay a bit longer. Whatever happens, though, I back our recruitment team to find the right replacement. Granted, we're not going to just go out and get someone as good - they don't grow on trees, but I'm sure we'd find the next best thing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

You can't force someone to sign, he could run his contract down and we can do nothing about it. That, is the player prerogative. 

I can only surmise, that the cards they (he and his agent) are playing, are to make it easier for him to leave IF he wants to. And by that, I mean we can't hold clubs over a barrel for a huge fee (£100m), so I doubt very much he'd sign anything with a fee anything close to that.

The only position of strength we have is if we intimate we'd rather keep him for two years than sell him (which they know is unlikely), as it might draw a compromise. I'm hoping that's where we'll end up. But I wouldn't be shocked if certain clubs have been in his agents ear, and they are all positioning themselves for a move next summer (I'm looking at Man U and Liverpool).

I agree with the sentiment of that completely. I only have 2 thought's on the matter which are 1) out of all the players in the squad who knows how we operate as a club and how we need these transfer fees, that he'd work with us. He's not obliged as you've said. 2) is the club itself and potentially letting a player go in circumstances that is outside of their model and how the club will potentially lose millions of pounds.

1 hour ago, Raw Dykes said:

I told you why I didn't answer your post - I can't work out what naming another player in the same situation would achieve. All players are different and their contract renewals are all affected by many different factors.

I think you're making renewing Youri's contract seem a lot easier than it probably actually is. How can we know if the club has made a mistake or not? The club may have done all it can to get him to sign, but they cannot force him. He's within his rights not to. You might say we should have sold him by now, but we don't know if anyone has made an offer that we'd consider anything close to acceptable. If you consider the number of clubs in the world that could afford him, especially in the current climate, it seems very plausible to me that they wouldn't have.

What does the 4 year contract, rather than 5, tell you? I think it's clear that he didn't want to be tied down here for too long as he backs himself to be at a bigger club.

Again, what if Youri doesn't want to sign a new contract, and we don't get the offers we want? Isn't that a possibility? I think it's possible that there isn't a contract we could realistically offer Youri that he would sign. You acknowledge that we don't do min. release clauses anymore, but even so, I can't imagine he'd agree to one that high. There might as well not be one as far as he's concerned. Perhaps even a min. release clause at a pittance wouldn't be enough of an incentive for Youri to agree to a new contract.

There's some preaching to the choir in your post. I'm not sure what you think my point is. I'm not saying the club are bad at buying or selling players - far from it. I'm just saying that it appears to me that Youri doesn't want to rule out a move in the next year or two, and that we shouldn't get our hopes up that he'll renew his contract.

I know that we won't get much for him now. Perhaps the club have decided that in this case, it's better to keep the player for a year than sell for maximum profit. If there ever was a player to do that with, then it's Youri.

If I was being optimistic about it, I might hope that achieving top 4 might be enough to get him to stay a bit longer. Whatever happens, though, I back our recruitment team to find the right replacement. Granted, we're not going to just go out and get someone as good - they don't grow on trees, but I'm sure we'd find the next best thing.

I'm not going to argue about it as it seems petty in the bigger scheme of things. What I will say is that when I joined FT I was slammed when talking about finances (and in some cases I grudgingly concede I was wrong!) and I remember at the time the club were stopping release clauses in their entirety in luie of signing talent, getting to within 2-3 years of their contract ending and selling for big fees.

Something has gone wrong somewhere because Tielemans would be our highest selling player within the model we've been using. Someone's made a mistake because in business terms (Rudkin) that's a hell of a lost revenue.

39 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I agree with the sentiment of that completely. I only have 2 thought's on the matter which are 1) out of all the players in the squad who knows how we operate as a club and how we need these transfer fees, that he'd work with us. He's not obliged as you've said. 2) is the club itself and potentially letting a player go in circumstances that is outside of their model and how the club will potentially lose millions of pounds.

1) I think he will do to some extent, that's why I hope there is a compromise to be reached. Now, that might only be £55m buy out for an extra year on the contract, but it's better than nothing. 2) It is, but, sometimes you can't do much about that. If we've not received any bids, or only received bids of £55m-£60m, then the club would probably deem it not worth while, as we've still get out money back with one year left hopefully. 

• Like 1

I'm not going to argue about it as it seems petty in the bigger scheme of things. What I will say is that when I joined FT I was slammed when talking about finances (and in some cases I grudgingly concede I was wrong!) and I remember at the time the club were stopping release clauses in their entirety in luie of signing talent, getting to within 2-3 years of their contract ending and selling for big fees.

Something has gone wrong somewhere because Tielemans would be our highest selling player within the model we've been using. Someone's made a mistake because in business terms (Rudkin) that's a hell of a lost revenue.

It's still a possiblility that no mistake has been made. It could be that no club has made an offer that we'd consider accepting, and the club might have done all it can to offer Youri new terms, just to no avail. It could be that this is just out of the club's hands.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Think it’s a simple case of get Champions League and he’ll sign the new deal, if not, then he’s gone. 

Top 4 chances depends on

- Evans staying fit and not having a CB crisis.

- Signing a top 4 level quality RW/forward.

if not I think top 4 out our reach as we have found the last 2 years.

Edited by les-tah