Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AS78UK

Youri Tielemans

4 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Depends what they are willing to pay. £40m will be nowhere enough.

Maguire went for £80m - and he's a defender. Tielemans is a playmaker - £90m starters. Let whoever wants to hire him (if he truly wishes to go) bleed money for him.

The sad thing is I don't think Real Madrid or Barcelona, this summer at least, would put up the money, so the domestic move feels the likelier, which would be sad.

I still see him as more of a Man City player than Liverpool.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Depends what they are willing to pay. £40m will be nowhere enough.

We’ll command double what we paid for him, minimum. 

• Like 3

I think if a club comes in with an offer that matches our price and it's a club that he wants to go to, he'll be gone surely? From his perspective it doesn't really serve his interests to sign a new deal with us, unless he KNOWS (for whatever reason) he wants to stay for 1 more year. 

He's already good enough to get plenty of game time at any big club he joins, so it's not like the move can 'go wrong' for him. He's already helped raise our level in the last 2 years and scored the FA Cup winning goal, so probably feels he doesn't owe us anything. And at 24, a move now could see him play the peak of his career 24-28ish at a massive club and win way more silverware than at us. 

Can’t expect Youri to leave yet as clubs will have to pay what we value him at.

Currently I can’t see any club that has a lot of money floating about unless they sell players to balance the books (admittedly FFP has been lessened this year, but that works for us too).

Also as other clubs have learnt to their cost, the board do not sell our assets lightly. Youri I daresay, apart from Mahrez, is one of the most talented players we have. We will command a significant fee which would have to be met.

One of the reasons I hope that he stays is that I hope he will consider playing every week in a competitive team which has got him international recognition is preferable to a move to a so called bigger club where he may be part player in a rotational squad. 

We have seen that the more he plays the better he becomes. He's had a bad experience at Monaco and this may play on his mind. That's not to say he should never take the gamble again, but he could continue to develop at Leicester over the next 2 years, then virtually chose his club if he continues his improvement.

Edited by MGLCFC

I just can't see Liverpool buying him after bring in Thiago last season, no chance they play a midfield with both Thiago and Youri in it, unless they totally change their style of play. 

Combine with the fact they are spending 35m on Konate and probably need another decent CB, I can't see them splashing 100m plus in this window on Youri and a couple of CBs

Edited by coolhandfox

I think we all know as Leicester fans that when these rumblings start, they usually end with a player leaving. £80-90 million and they can have him, I wouldn’t expect a penny less considering he’s carried through some injury hit patches. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

The sad thing is I don't think Real Madrid or Barcelona, this summer at least, would put up the money, so the domestic move feels the likelier, which would be sad.

I still see him as more of a Man City player than Liverpool.

Bayern could be a possibility, they only really have Kimmich and Goretzka (Martinez and Alaba have left, Roca is crap, Tolisso is injury prone and for sale)

They tried to get Wijnaldum before he apparently agreed to join Barcelona so they certainly look to be in the market for a midfielder

3 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I think we all know as Leicester fans that when these rumblings start, they usually end with a player leaving. £80-90 million and they can have him, I wouldn’t expect a penny less considering he’s carried through some injury hit patches. 

Can’t see him going for more than £70m tbh, Clubs will be happy to wait a year to get that price down to £30/40m if we try go higher. I think it’ll be a similar value to Mahrez who left for £60m with 2 years left on his deal.

I’m not saying I think he’ll leave this summer, but if he does, £70m will be the ceiling.

Depends solely on how Youri feels we have been doing. We have improved this year, against a challenging schedule and injury list, but is it enough? Does he feel we can push on even further? If he goes, I wish him well, but would not expect more than 50m, anything more is just optimistic.

36 minutes ago, gerblod said:

Maguire went for £80m - and he's a defender. Tielemans is a playmaker - £90m starters. Let whoever wants to hire him (if he truly wishes to go) bleed money for him.

Taking the Maguire transfer as a bench mark is only going to lead to disappointment. Look at what we got for Chilwell and Mahrez, it's more relevant. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Depends solely on how Youri feels we have been doing. We have improved this year, against a challenging schedule and injury list, but is it enough? Does he feel we can push on even further? If he goes, I wish him well, but would not expect more than 50m, anything more is just optimistic.

He could be waiting to see who we bring in as well to see if we can challenge stronger next year too. 

• Like 2

Guest Chocolate Teapot
5 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Missing out on champions league football is going to cost us sadly :(

Cost us what?

We never planned for CL and the year after we won the league our star player left. Sadly, clubs look at us and what we're doing and want a piece as we're a threat. With or without champions league we'd never pay someone 200k a week sadly. The long and short of it is that's what we're competing with. Until we have confidence we'd qualify for the champions league every season and have commercial revenues that exceed 150m this will happen.

The sum of all our parts is greater than the individual- if youri goes that'll free up 70m and a 7m a year in wages which we can reinvest whilst kdh and soumare fill the void (possibly one other too). And that's a big if by the way, I still think he'll sign for one more year.

This 'the champions league has cost us' line that's trotted out is lazy, it's way more nuanced than that.

We're at the point now with this kind of saga where all I care about is the fee.

If he goes, he goes. Thanks for everything, thanks for that amazing moment two weeks ago. But I want us to maximise the fee, get the most we possibly can and invest it wisely. We've done it before, I just want us not to feel like we haven't got the money we deserve for him when he does go.

• Like 4

I'd like to just point out that one person has heard a rumour. Well, for all you know it's just confident invention. 

So on that basis, I'm going to tell you that I heard he's already signed a contract extension. Must be true. 

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Also, let's be honest here. When people say "players want champions league", what they really want is to play for a team that's going to go far in the competition and actually have a shot of even winning it with a bit of luck. So what that also means is playing for a massive club, that pays £200k a week minimum, that wins trophies or gets very close all the time, and that has prestige. 

Would a player leave to go to some 2nd tier German, Italian, or Spanish team who finished 4th, just because they are in the champions league? No.

So that means they go to one of Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Man U, Inter, Juve, Bayern, AC Milan, Inter, PSG, Real Madrid, Barcelona and maybe Athletico. That is it, and if those clubs come in it doesn't matter what we're doing, they are going to want to go to at least 8 of them. 

Yep and it's why we don't lose players to arsenal or spurs as whether they like it or not they're competing in the same pool just with a slightly bigger cheque book. All those teams you mention are competing for the biggest trophies.

It's no different from our pursuit of fofana - we wanted him, we got him and there was little they could do about it other than extract the biggest fee possible.

With youri the other thing to bear in mind will be there may be several clubs interested rather than one, so might help us extract a bigger fee.

I disagree with you slightly on Chilwell and mahrez - they only had one possible suitor that we're in for them at the asking price. With youri I'd imagine Liverpool might be keen, but also Madrid with their succession planning, possibly bayern and PSG. I think they'll be some strong interest from a few parties. There's a few clubs who need  deep lying playmaker.

Also let's be honest, with maguire and chilwell we all saw their faults and I'm sure a fair few clubs noticed too. Phelan was desperate for maguire and lampard was obsessed about chilwell. Youri is way more established and doesn't have anywhere near the number of detractors.

I reckon 70m and a possible bidding war if he goes.

13 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Cost us what?

We never planned for CL and the year after we won the league our star player left. Sadly, clubs look at us and what we're doing and want a piece as we're a threat. With or without champions league we'd never pay someone 200k a week sadly. The long and short of it is that's what we're competing with. Until we have confidence we'd qualify for the champions league every season and have commercial revenues that exceed 150m this will happen.

The sum of all our parts is greater than the individual- if youri goes that'll free up 70m and a 7m a year in wages which we can reinvest whilst kdh and soumare fill the void (possibly one other too). And that's a big if by the way, I still think he'll sign for one more year.

This 'the champions league has cost us' line that's trotted out is lazy, it's way more nuanced than that.

I have no issue with us signing players and developing them and selling them on for big transfer fees but there comes a time in the clubs development where we need to make that transition and step up. Reality is missing out on the champions league is going to cost us keeping our better players.

Losing the likes of Youri will hurt us in the short term but long term hopefully the squad improves