Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AS78UK

Youri Tielemans

Guest Chocolate Teapot
25 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Can everyone calm the **** down?!

We won't get anywhere near 90m for him btw, not with two years left on his deal. Probably looking at 65m or so if he goes this summer.

I think whilst a contract hasn't been signed it'll rumble on. If he hasn't signed it by the time the euros start that'll tell us all we need to know - doesn't mean he'll leave as a club needs to pay the asking price but it'll indicate what we're offering him isn't enough to keep him.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Like silva for DD ??

Like I said we are not going to get every signing right, but recently we seem to get more right than wrong.  As it happens Drinkwater was washed up within 12 months  anyway, so was no great loss.

Easy for other clubs to potentially make us weaker too, yeah the 70m we is a lot of money, but it makes us weaker straight the way, you can see why clubs like United and Man City just pay the money and gamble on us signing a replacement who isn't as good, as it could quite easily cost us enough points over the course of a season to ensure we don't get top 4. Sadly there's not a lot we can do about it in the next few years, we need a good few years of success and top 6 finishes, as well as massive commercial growth to even start to change this.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
17 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

I have no issue with us signing players and developing them and selling them on for big transfer fees but there comes a time in the clubs development where we need to make that transition and step up. Reality is missing out on the champions league is going to cost us keeping our better players.

Losing the likes of Youri will hurt us in the short term but long term hopefully the squad improves

I think you miss the point tbh. There's a pecking order - it happens. It's why suarez went to Barcelona, its why kane is going to city, its why kante went to Chelsea. It ain't just us.

32 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I disagree with you slightly on Chilwell and mahrez - they only had one possible suitor that we're in for them at the asking price. With youri I'd imagine Liverpool might be keen, but also Madrid with their succession planning, possibly bayern and PSG. I think they'll be some strong interest from a few parties. There's a few clubs who need  deep lying playmaker.

Also let's be honest, with maguire and chilwell we all saw their faults and I'm sure a fair few clubs noticed too. Phelan was desperate for maguire and lampard was obsessed about chilwell. Youri is way more established and doesn't have anywhere near the number of detractors.

I reckon 70m and a possible bidding war if he goes.

Swings and roundabouts isn't it, with Chilwell and Maguire you have the English tax applied to them, plus they had longer on their contracts. 

I just think that people looking at Maguire at £85m and thinking Tielemans is much better, we'll get more than that, are barking up the wrong tree. 

• Like 4

Unfortunately with two years left on his deal the power is with Youri.

If he chooses not sign a new one then we probably need to sell this summer otherwise it's a small fee next summer or even a free in two years time. 

32 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Easy for other clubs to potentially make us weaker too, yeah the 70m we is a lot of money, but it makes us weaker straight the way, you can see why clubs like United and Man City just pay the money and gamble on us signing a replacement who isn't as good, as it could quite easily cost us enough points over the course of a season to ensure we don't get top 4. Sadly there's not a lot we can do about it in the next few years, we need a good few years of success and top 6 finishes, as well as massive commercial growth to even start to change this.

Us being weaker depends on what we do with the cash we get.

Tielemans is a fantastic player, and we're very lucky to have him. If he was to leave, I wouldn't expect us to go out and instantly replace him with someone just as good - players of his standard don't grow on trees, and the few that are would be out of our price range. However, I don't believe we'd need to. With ~£70m, I'd expect we'd probably buy 2 or 3 players. If we can dig up another player or two with the quality and potential of a JJ or Fofana, then I think we'll have strengthened overall. If we sign a replacement CM who's (at least currently) not quite as good as Youri, but also strengthen another position at the same time, then I think we've done well.

I think the main problem with the squad is the lack of depth. If we could just add a couple of players that would allow us to rotate more or sub someone on to change a game in our favour, then I think we'd be making real progress, even if that comes at the expense of some quality in the first XI.

I think we play the transfer market extremely well. It's always sad to see a great player leave the club, but I always feel confident that we'll invest the money made wisely. Really, it makes sense for us to roll the dice re: transfers more often than not while we're as good as we are at unearthing gems.

Edited by Raw Dykes
  • Like 1

Guest LonnieDon

Tielemans is the best passer of the ball in the Premiership. The amount of goals he would set up passing to an attacker who actually knew what do do with the ball could be amazing. I hope he stays, but if the tops clubs  watch the videos and know their onions, they should be fighting over him.

Euro final is on July 11th. First PL fixture is on 14th August. I'd have thought that from a practical point of view, moving home in such a short time with children sounds like a real pain in the neck. Much more likely that he'd move next season, if he's moving at all. Obviously, there'd have to be a contract extension. Also, he's only 24, so what's the rush? 

Might be completely wrong, of course. Surely there would be rumours of us looking at players with a similar profile circulating by now? 

4 hours ago, Shane said:

Its not even a press release. Its a made up article by teamtalk, one of the worst sources out there.

i know it’s not a press release. I’m simply saying the source for articles like this are often agents. Coincidentally this article has come about as we are negotiating a new contract for him..

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I think if a club comes in with an offer that matches our price and it's a club that he wants to go to, he'll be gone surely? From his perspective it doesn't really serve his interests to sign a new deal with us, unless he KNOWS (for whatever reason) he wants to stay for 1 more year. 

He's already good enough to get plenty of game time at any big club he joins, so it's not like the move can 'go wrong' for him. He's already helped raise our level in the last 2 years and scored the FA Cup winning goal, so probably feels he doesn't owe us anything. And at 24, a move now could see him play the peak of his career 24-28ish at a massive club and win way more silverware than at us. 

I'd be surprised if we let him leave this summer regardless of what transfer offer comes in. He's instrumental to our team and how we play so if we sold him now we'd effectively need to change how we run the midfield.

I'd like 2 more years. Give him the armband and give him what he might want in 2 years when he's still in his prime at 26.

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

The sad thing is I don't think Real Madrid or Barcelona, this summer at least, would put up the money, so the domestic move feels the likelier, which would be sad.

I still see him as more of a Man City player than Liverpool.

If Barcelona wanted him maybe cash + Trinicao?

If he truly was going to leave this close season, I’d expect the club to wait until after the Europe’s before accepting any offers. A good Euro could add another 20m to his price tag. A bad one and top clubs won’t want him probably..

win win for us .

• Like 2

We are Leicester City, we can't afford to lose our fee on Youri, if we don't let him go, if he wants to go (and it won't be £80-£90m, more like £65m), then next season we'll barely be able to recoup pur fee.

If Youri leaves for a CL club, then I think it maybe the right thing for him, looking objectivily he's given us 2 years to make the top 4, we perhaps could have done that if we'd have been a bit more ruthless and outreaching in the transfer window in January, but we didn't do that and suffered in the end and I don't think that'll ever change.

Top 6 next season will be even more difficult Imo, never mind top 4, we'd need to heavily invest to get there and we're not going to do that I don't think.

We've had cambiasso in that midfield, he left and I was gutted, then we saw N'golo come in, and he left and again I was disappointed, now we have youri, if he leaves, again I'll be gutted, but I'm now realising what we've witnessed with those players, the memories.

We'll move on, and there maybe ups and downs but whatever it is we can be blessed with what we've witnessed over the last decade, we have literally lived the dream.

Edited by splinterdream
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

Missing out on champions league football is going to cost us sadly :(

We signed him with no Champions League, in fact all the players we signed with Champions League turned out to be somewhat poor.

If we lose players, fine... but it's on our terms. Trust in our recruitment.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
44 minutes ago, LonnieDon said:

Tielemans is the best passer of the ball in the Premiership. The amount of goals he would set up passing to an attacker who actually knew what do do with the ball could be amazing. I hope he stays, but if the tops clubs  watch the videos and know their onions, they should be fighting over him.

Kevin De Bruyne says hi.