Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Championship - 2021/2022

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Pearson surely on his way out, he's been diabolical there. Cov looking nicely poised for the playoffs which is some achievement.

Don't think he's done that badly there considering it's clearly a bit of a project. If over the next year or so they still don't look much better, you can probably start to question what impact he's having.

56 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Pearson surely on his way out, he's been diabolical there. Cov looking nicely poised for the playoffs which is some achievement.

Nah not at all he has been tasked with clearing out the deadwood and bringing the wage bill down. They’ve been playing a load of youngsters and I think at absolute best the target was mid table. 

• Like 1

Think I must have been reading those who aren't happy with what's happening. Spent an absolute fortune have Bristol and its not paid off, Pearson's old guard signings have been the pits an'all. Hopefully he gets the time to sort it out but it sounds like they're in real trouble and could be heading for financial penalties.

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Think I must have been reading those who aren't happy with what's happening. Spent an absolute fortune have Bristol and its not paid off, Pearson's old guard signings have been the pits an'all. Hopefully he gets the time to sort it out but it sounds like they're in real trouble and could be heading for financial penalties.

Just Simpson. James and King have featured regularly with the former getting the armband at stages this season. 

43 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

My understand was that the fortune was spent prior to Pearson joining and he's having to do a similar job that he had here when it came to Sven's exploits? I could be wrong but that's the impression I've got 

20 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

Just Simpson. James and King have featured regularly with the former getting the armband at stages this season. 

Not done well at all though if you compare say James to his output for Cov last season. King admittedly didn't play much football the previous seasons but he's not done a lot at all. They've not worked and it's a fair judgement to say that from the outside looking in they look like decisions of a man who's a bit out of sync with modern football. 

Just now, The Horse's Mouth said:

My understand was that the fortune was spent prior to Pearson joining and he's having to do a similar job that he had here when it came to Sven's exploits? I could be wrong but that's the impression I've got 

Yes, he's not spent anything really. But he's hoped he can go back to the class of 2014 with James, King and Simpson and its not worked at all for him. I hope he gets more time, it seems plenty appreciate what he's trying to do but that can soon change.

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes, he's not spent anything really. But he's hoped he can go back to the class of 2014 with James, King and Simpson and its not worked at all for him. I hope he gets more time, it seems plenty appreciate what he's trying to do but that can soon change.

I don't think that's the reasoning though, they were close to going down last season as well right when he came in? Hands have been tied when it comes to recruitment so it's better who you know to try and solidify them midtable which I think was the goal this season anyway. Simpson and King are both reliable pros so make sense, James could be a game changer if he wasn't made of poppadoms

Edit: seems like Simpsons been a total dud but I can't imagine he's on much anyway so a risk free gamble I guess

Edited by The Horse's Mouth

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Robins has done a great job, from League 2 to edge of the Championship play offs within 5 seasons on little budget and, at times, not having a home ground.

Would be a great achievement if they actually make the play offs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

If you understand the context of Pearson's appointment in the first place then it's easy to see why their fans are relatively happy with him. They were hurtling towards league one when he took over, they have one of the lowest budgets in the league. If anything he's given them some stability and is developing some young players very nicely. They'll give him the start of next season I'm sure and demand progress. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lionator said:

If you understand the context of Pearson's appointment in the first place then it's easy to see why their fans are relatively happy with him. They were hurtling towards league one when he took over, they have one of the lowest budgets in the league. If anything he's given them some stability and is developing some young players very nicely. They'll give him the start of next season I'm sure and demand progress. 

Dunno about budgets. They've spent a fair bit over the last few seasons, granted before Nige took over. But there's a lot of smaller budgets in the division this season when you consider; Derby, Coventry, Hull, Reading, Luton, Millwall, Barnsley, Blackpool.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

They've not got one of the lowest budgets, they've blown loads before Pearson arrived. He's having to sort it out which results wise isn't happening yet.

To be fair for a manager held in such high regard by us, his record in the Championship with other clubs is very mediocre.

This article is pretty good at outlining how Pearson has gone into a club with quite a bit of mess in terms of finances and wages

He is keeping a club with a midtable wage budget (22% more than what the club earns) and still some messy finance’s away from the relegation zone

https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-city/explained-bristol-citys-wage-pressure-and-why-the-robins-cannot-spend-big-in-the-transfer-market-3496434?amp

• Like 1

Pearson is the reverse of every other manager.

Every other manager: The slightest hint of trouble fans want them out, forums in meltdown, constant questions over their ability despite their CVs

Pearson: Do what you like. Take as long as you like doing it.

Id have to say most of the clubs he manages the bar is set that low youre afforded the freedom to do that anyway. Hull were rubbish and he made them slightly less rubbish, but still rubbish. Watford were going down, made them slightly better, still went down. Derby were rubbish, he kept them rubbish.

We got the best of him and thats all that matters. Hes a bit like Gary Megson.