Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Outfox the Fox

James Tarkowski

1 minute ago, Buce said:

All I'm interested in is whether they can play football at the required level.

It matters not one jot what their ethnicity is.

Ethnicity and nationality are not actually the same thing. Careful Bruce, you’ll awaken the Kraken. 

2 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

I think an extra experienced defender is quite important at the moment. Big We’d has retired now, so only Evans with the experience.  With Fuchs also going we have a very inexperienced back line with Justin, Thomas, Little Wes and Cags. Really think an older, experienced player is required, and someone who is a leader.  None of those mentioned really are at the moment.

We'll miss Big We'd 😂

This is turning into a Nicky Maynard thread with entitled Foxes thinking Burnley should give him away. He could well be the difference between them staying up next season, if this season is anything to go by. In which case, I’m sure Burnley would rather write off £20m I’m transfer fees and take the £100m for staying in the PL. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Ethnicity and nationality are not actually the same thing. Careful Bruce, you’ll awaken the Kraken. 

I am aware, but he said it would be nice to have 'English blood' in the team, and that implies ethnicity.

Edited by Buce

I was in favour of signing Fofana over Tarkowski a year ago and I think that was the correct move. A year later with a year less on Tarkowski's deal and I think signing him now would make some sense given Evans you always feel is a bit of an injury risk and has been maxed out in the last couple of years both for Leicester and NI.

I wouldn't pay silly money for Tarkowski but I think you would quite plausibly get 5 decent years from him if you bought him now. I'd be in favour. Am a little sceptical about buying Burnley defenders given the way they set up, but I don't think he would be a bad buy from us. It makes more sense now than it did a year ago.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Even if you've got a serioulsy unhappy player on your books for 12 months who will walk away for free next season?

By most accounts he wanted to go to Leicester last summer.  After missing a couple of games with a "toe injury", he was a model professional for the last 36 games.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

It is the problem 100%. Unless we stop being the selling club then we are pretty much where we are. Yes we’ve done well with recruitment, but rainbows always come to an end. Big club ambitions but small club mentality do not mix. 

I genuinely scoffed at the idea of Tark’s last year, but now I think he’d be good for us. We need to build on solid foundations and that isn’t players who will just use us for a year or two and then move on. We’ve either got to change our approach or accept what we are. 

I don't really get this. We've done well with recruitment because we're good at it. I don't believe it's just a lucky streak or anything like that. There's work that goes into it by people who clearly know what they're doing.

I don't know about you, but I see us a superbly-run provincial club which is competing with the best in the country. I can't really see why anyone would expect us to never have to sell our better players. That happens to every club but a few in the world.

We're improving every year and we're already near the top and picking up trophies. What more could we possibly ask for?

What do you suggest our approach should be? Why on Earth would you want to change it?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

By most accounts he wanted to go to Leicester last summer.  After missing a couple of games with a "toe injury", he was a model professional for the last 36 games.

He’s got form for forcing a move hasn’t he, didn’t he do something similar when he moved to Burnley ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Buce said:

All I'm interested in is whether they can play football at the required level.

It matters not one jot what their ethnicity is.

And James Tarkowski can play at the required level. Also it’s an extra bonus that he’s English imo! 

34 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

But why would we sell at a low price?  It's not a matter of "we must sell, we can only get £10m net £7m, so that's what we must sell him for".  It would take tens of millions to get him, that's what I'm saying,.  Not that he will be sold for that amount.  If the new dodgy owners (I'm with you there) decide that the most profitable long-term future is in keeping Tarkowski rather than selling him for less than £20m, then he will stay.

As has been pointed out in this thread we may see a similar situation with Tielemans, if they don't want to sign a new deal you either sell them or let them run their contracts down and leave for nothing. Plenty on here would rather Tielemans leave for free in two years rather than accept £50m+, not me however.

Who knows what the pivot point is for Burnley on how much they value Tarkowski for one more season? I would rather cash my chips in and spend that money on his successor or this time next season you have neither the player or the cash. Is Tarkowski that valuable to Burnley that he is the difference between survival and relegation, if he is then you need to act to rectify that ASAP. 

• Like 3

Burnley are keen to sign at least one centre back this summer with Stoke City pair Nathan Collins and Harry Souttar high up the shopping list.

The Clarets are also keen on Nottingham Forest's Joe Worrall and admire Liverpool's Nat Phillips as they seek to strengthen their ranks.

But any arrivals would be additions rather than replacements, with James Tarkowski unlikely to leave the club.

The defender attracted interest and offers from Leicester City and West Ham United last summer but Burnley rejected all bids.

The 28-year-old is now in the final year of his contract at Turf Moor and is more likely to depart on a free transfer next summer than leave in this window.

The Clarets value the England international highly and know that any sale, should interest materialise with no offers on the table at this stage, could hinder Burnley's ability to stay in the Premier League.

Tarkowski was a key player for Sean Dyche's side last term as they secured another season of top flight football and the Clarets would be reluctant to part with the former Brentford man on the cheap given the riches on offer for Premier League football.

The Bees also have a hefty sell-on fee on the centre back, further reducing any potential profit.

And, given the impact of the pandemic on the transfer market it is difficult to envisage any interested side offering more than £20million for a player who could be available on a free in 12 months.

Burnley are planning on Tarkowski being part of the set-up next season and would like to add further depth to a position in which they are short.

Edited by moore_94

Really hope we sign him - if we play a back 4 rotating pairings of Tarkowski/Soyuncu and Evans/Fofana I think that could really benefit us over the course of the season. 

£20m would be a decent deal for all parties I think, though the rationale for Burnley keeping him and letting him go for free next summer is sound. 

22 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Liverpool's Nat Philips also a CB and Forest's Joe Wirral a defender both 24 years old and available for the pricely sum of under 10m

So no, there aren't any comparable players available for less

1 hour ago, Buce said:

I am aware, but he said it would be nice to have 'English blood' in the team, and that implies ethnicity.

Erm, are not ALL people born in England English?  To my mind that does not mean ethnicity as such, as there are many. However, born in England, English blood. 

Tarkowski & Soumare would be a very decent start to the window imo. 

Too many times last season we were caught short at CB due to injuries. not ideal having to stick Castagne/Justin as a CB when they are both very good wing backs. 

Tarkowski, Evans, Soyuncu, Fofana. 4 very good options for 3 starting spots. Plenty of rotation to go deep into Europa this season. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Tarkowski & Soumare would be a very decent start to the window imo. 

Too many times last season we were caught short at CB due to injuries. not ideal having to stick Castagne/Justin as a CB when they are both very good wing backs. 

Tarkowski, Evans, Soyuncu, Fofana. 4 very good options for 3 starting spots. Plenty of rotation to go deep into Europa this season. 

Agreed. We need to concentrate on Winger(s) and a Striker(s) now. 

34 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Erm, are not ALL people born in England English?  To my mind that does not mean ethnicity as such, as there are many. However, born in England, English blood. 

That's not what he meant and I think you know that.

If he merely meant English, the word blood was superfluous.