Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Outfox the Fox

James Tarkowski

I think for 3-5-2 to really work we need a better number 10. You can't just rely on your wing-backs to create something. Maybe Maddison is the answer and to be fair he's either been unfit or injured since we moved to three at the back, but in my opinion you need a player that is going to drift all over the place and break the lines, with or without the ball. I'm not sure Maddison is capable of doing that consistently on his own and is better when he has wide players to link up with.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snoopy87 said:

What's the mood and talk up there about it all? From the outside, it certainly doesn't look great. There's a couple of Burnley fans I follow on twitter & they're certainly not happy with it

I only really know from message board gossip, but about half really don't like it, about 10% are all in favour, and the rest are wait-and-see.  

The one definite positive is that Sean Dyche's relationship with the former chairman was apparently really toxic, to the extent that if any half-decent club had come for him last summer, he would have gone.  Possibly this was because Dyche knew what the rest of us did not know, that Garlick the former chairman was being so tight with the club's cash, not because Garlick thought there was no value in the players available, but because Garlick wanted all the cash for himself.  Pace has emptied the club bank account, and taken out a loan guaranteed by the club, to pay the money he owed to Garlick, but appears to be willing to borrow more money to buy new players.

• Like 1

@dsr-burnley Going slightly off topic. I've watched a lot off Burnleys games this season and it's sometimes impressive when they put a lower team on the back foot and have a proper go. 

It's been said that Tarkowski can pass the ball on the floor and in the air. How good would you say he is? 

1 minute ago, UHDrive said:

@dsr-burnley Going slightly off topic. I've watched a lot off Burnleys games this season and it's sometimes impressive when they put a lower team on the back foot and have a proper go. 

It's been said that Tarkowski can pass the ball on the floor and in the air. How good would you say he is? 

He's got a good long ball, and if passing it round at the back under pressure does happen (which it doesn't often) it's not normally Tarkowski who gives it away.  He's a miles better ballplayer than Ben Mee, but then aren't we all.  (Ben Mee is one of the best stopping centre halves in the league, but silky skills aren't his forte.)

One problem Tarkowski has had this year is missing sitters from corners.  He should have had at least 3 goals from about 3 yards out.

1 minute ago, dsr-burnley said:

He's got a good long ball, and if passing it round at the back under pressure does happen (which it doesn't often) it's not normally Tarkowski who gives it away.  He's a miles better ballplayer than Ben Mee, but then aren't we all.  (Ben Mee is one of the best stopping centre halves in the league, but silky skills aren't his forte.)

One problem Tarkowski has had this year is missing sitters from corners.  He should have had at least 3 goals from about 3 yards out.

Thanks for that. Sounds like he'll join a team that are already crap at corner and balls I'm the box so that shouldn't matter! 

It's good to know that he's good under pressure, that's half your salary paid alone in my book. 

Have you got anyone in mind if he goes?

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

lol my god, absolutely made for us. This is one of our more bizarre problems.

2 hours ago, Ricey said:

I think for 3-5-2 to really work we need a better number 10. You can't just rely on your wing-backs to create something. Maybe Maddison is the answer and to be fair he's either been unfit or injured since we moved to three at the back, but in my opinion you need a player that is going to drift all over the place and break the lines, with or without the ball. I'm not sure Maddison is capable of doing that consistently on his own and is better when he has wide players to link up with.

Maddison drops too deep in the 3-4-1-2 compared to playing just off Vardy in 4-2-3-1 when he and Barnes were devastating between December and February. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Maddison drops too deep in the 3-4-1-2 compared to playing just off Vardy in 4-2-3-1 when he and Barnes were devastating between December and February. 

Agree 100% - he also gets a higher starting position on the transition in the 4-2-3-1 because we drop almost to a 4-4-2 out of possession with Maddison being really central and close to Vardy.

Our key players for transitioning us forwards are Maddison, Barnes and the full backs and all 5 have had significant spells out this year. If we can catch a break in that respect next and add some quality out wide it could be tasty

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, North Leeds Fox said:

In the athletic, they are stating that he is not leaving this summer and leaving on a free next year. Seems like they are losing dunne and want a year for 2 new cbs to get used to the system before he leaves. 

Interesting, thanks for sharing. He'd effectively come into the squad to replace Evans in that case, if we were to secure him next summer. 

Edited by lcfc_forever

1 hour ago, North Leeds Fox said:

In the athletic, they are stating that he is not leaving this summer and leaving on a free next year. Seems like they are losing dunne and want a year for 2 new cbs to get used to the system before he leaves. 

So stupid for from Burnley. I am sure he’ll have picked his club by January / early feb and then it’s ‘mysterious’ injury and he won’t play till the end of the season and they’ll lose him for free and lose out on 18-20£

Edited by OhYesNdidi

44 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Evans still has 2 years left to go on his contract, so they should be here together if we sign him next summer.

Yep, meant ultimately Tarkowski would take on Evans' role as the experienced first team defender. I think by that point Evans will be transitioning into a squad member rather than a first team player. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Still maintain he’s the best CB after VVD…. Victim of football snobbery, but he shits all over Stones and Mings.

Stones is in a different league to Tarkowski. Doesn’t even compare 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Stones is in a different league to Tarkowski. Doesn’t even compare 

Behave, he’s not. Vardy has fetched his pants down more times than Kate moss back stage at an indie gig. Tarks is quality, and horribly underrated.

• Like 1

Just now, Pliskin said:

Behave, he’s not. Vardy has fetched his pants down more times than Kate moss back stage at an indie gig. Tarks is quality, and horribly underrated.

I’ve also seen Vardy dominate top top centre halves and get dominated by Eric bailly and James tomkins so not sure that’s much of a measure. 
not saying I don’t rate tarkowski but he doesn’t get anywhere near Stones. Worlds apart 

On 23/06/2021 at 10:01, OhYesNdidi said:

So stupid for from Burnley. I am sure he’ll have picked his club by January / early feb and then it’s ‘mysterious’ injury and he won’t play till the end of the season and they’ll lose him for free and lose out on 18-20£

You're talking about a transfer fee of £25m or so, allowing for the Brentford sell-on, for Burnley to lose out by that sort of money.  I very much doubt anyone would agree to pay £25m for Tarkowski this summer.

And of course, there is the value of PL TV money to consider.

I suspect the idea is for Tarkowski to play this year and Collins to learn how to do it.

7 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

You're talking about a transfer fee of £25m or so, allowing for the Brentford sell-on, for Burnley to lose out by that sort of money.  I very much doubt anyone would agree to pay £25m for Tarkowski this summer.

And of course, there is the value of PL TV money to consider.

I suspect the idea is for Tarkowski to play this year and Collins to learn how to do it.

On the one had I am surprised Burnley don't follow our model and sell high (probably last summer or the summer before for 30/40 million) then use the fee to improve the team. For instance last summer we got Fofana and castagne plus a bit of change for Ben Chillwell. The summer before we got Tielemans, James Justin and Dennis Praet plus change for Harry Maguire. The summer before that we got Pereira, Soyuncu and James maddison for riyad mahrez. 

Those signings have helped us evolve and improve and they have also increased in value to the club we got 190 million in transfer fees for those 3 key players re invested it and the 8 players we signed with that money are now worth depending on the market and injuries etc about 400 million. 

But on the other hand I see Burnleys point of veiw as well one bad window for us (aka loose kante and sign musa, slimani etc) and we are midtable one bad window for them and it will be the championship so they have a lot more to lose. 

• Like 2

All depends on if Burnley can sell Dwight McNeil to Villa to get funds available. I think we stand a good job of pressing on their toes and getting Tarkowski especially with their new £12m "record breaking" buy. They've just spent.

New owners won't pump any money in and they aren't in a good state financially.

This is one signing that I'd like to be forced through at anywhere between £25-30m.

2 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

On the one had I am surprised Burnley don't follow our model and sell high (probably last summer or the summer before for 30/40 million) then use the fee to improve the team. For instance last summer we got Fofana and castagne plus a bit of change for Ben Chillwell. The summer before we got Tielemans, James Justin and Dennis Praet plus change for Harry Maguire. The summer before that we got Pereira, Soyuncu and James maddison for riyad mahrez. 

Those signings have helped us evolve and improve and they have also increased in value to the club we got 190 million in transfer fees for those 3 key players re invested it and the 8 players we signed with that money are now worth depending on the market and injuries etc about 400 million. 

But on the other hand I see Burnleys point of veiw as well one bad window for us (aka loose kante and sign musa, slimani etc) and we are midtable one bad window for them and it will be the championship so they have a lot more to lose. 

I agree with all this. Just wanted to say I don't think a bad window for us would mean mid-table now. There's that much quality in the squad now, that I think losing a key player and wasting all our transfer budget on shite wouldn't really set us back that much in terms of league position compared to summer 2016. I agree, though - a club like Burnley can't really afford to take that risk.

An experienced middle CB like this would be huge. The youngsters are outstanding, but better w a steady hand. Rotating Evans and Tark makes all the bloody sense. If we could get gim cheaply and an attacking RW... Been trying to shore that up for ages on the cheap, go get us a 15 goal scorer from RW we'll be lovely. We need more scoring from the right. Teams shade us to the center all the time bc Barnes is so direct to goal and we have nobody who is a real threat out wide on the right. We gotta get something out if that side this season.