Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
majaco

Leicester's greatest ever players are...

13 hours ago, Post Horn Galloper said:

I wouldn't argue with it, although it doesn't follow that our great players of the past, if given the coaching and training that players today receive, couldn't succeed in 2021.

On the question of fitness, don't forget that players often had to play on very poor/heavy pitches, with a heavy ball especially when wet, wearing heavy boots. There were no substitutes, and fouls were only given when they were leg-breakers. I'd argue that the apparent greater fitness shown by today's players is simply the result of changes to all those playing conditions. 

Edited by String fellow
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

On the question of fitness, don't forget that players often had to play on very poor/heavy pitches, with a heavy ball especially when wet, wearing heavy boots. There were no substitutes, and fouls were only given when they were leg-breakers. I'd argue that the apparent greater fitness shown by today's players is simply the result of changes to all those playing conditions. 

That's a non-argument though isn't it?

Players are fitter because they train more, from an earlier age, more intelligently with more scientific backing, better training methods and have much better diets and cut out smoking and drinking.

The pitch or the ball don't suddenly outweigh the much cleaner nutrition, extra thousands of hours or training over a lifetime and more honed training methods. 

It's like saying the Mongol army of archers and spearman in the 13th century could beat Napoleon's army because the forner could deal with the Russian winter while fighting a few thousand 13th century Muscovite nomads and the latter couldn't while fighting an armed nation with a population approaching 10s of millions of people.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sampson said:

That's a non-argument though isn't it?

Players are fitter because they train more, from an earlier age, more intelligently with more scientific backing, better training methods and have much better diets and cut out smoking and drinking.

The pitch or the ball don't suddenly outweigh the much cleaner nutrition, extra thousands of hours or training over a lifetime and more honed training methods. 

It's like saying the Mongol army of archers and spearman in the 13th century could beat Napoleon's army because the forner could deal with the Russian winter while fighting a few thousand 13th century Muscovite nomads and the latter couldn't while fighting an armed nation with a population approaching 10s of millions of people.

The implication of what you say is that handicapping horses has no effect. If you read the life history of someone like Bobby Charlton, he practised every minute of every day when young, was renowned for his fitness and stamina, and had a ferocious shot. Was he really less fit than some of today's prima donnas, who fall over at the slightest sniff of a tackle and often get substituted because they run out of steam during the second half of matches?    

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, String fellow said:

This link gives a list of 25 celebrated City strikers, which has Arthur Chandler at the top, quite rightly. But why are Okazaki and Ulloa listed? Imo, Mike Stringfellow should be mentioned in there somewhere. Perhaps also Derek Dougan.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6598801-the-25-greatest-strikers-in-leicester-city-s-history-ranked

A picture of Rowley under the heading of top ranked Chandler? Dougan, definitely should be there. Why is Walsh there? Agree with String fellow. What about Jackie Sinclair, a goal every other game? 

45 minutes ago, enmac said:

A picture of Rowley under the heading of top ranked Chandler? Dougan, definitely should be there. Why is Walsh there? Agree with String fellow. What about Jackie Sinclair, a goal every other game? 

I'd forgotten about Jackie Sinclair. Allan Clarke and Andy Lochhead were also noteworthy strikers from roughly the same era. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

The implication of what you say is that handicapping horses has no effect. If you read the life history of someone like Bobby Charlton, he practised every minute of every day when young, was renowned for his fitness and stamina, and had a ferocious shot. Was he really less fit than some of today's prima donnas, who fall over at the slightest sniff of a tackle and often get substituted because they run out of steam during the second half of matches?    

The prima donnas don’t fall over because they are unfit, they fall over because the officiating rewards them for it. 

Not talking about achivements and world class talent, but one guy gave us all some happy moments in some dark times and slowly made us all believe again. That guy.... Lloyd Dyer. :wub:

Still saddens me, that the club and him could not come to an agreement, so he could have had a run out in the Prem for us.

• Like 3

Guest Bert Fill
2 hours ago, String fellow said:

often get substituted because they run out of steam during the second half of matches

To be fair to modern-day players, they are playing football at about ten times the speed of players in Bobby Charlton’s day. And they aren’t allowed to just walk slowly around for ten minutes if the ball doesn’t come their way.

Impossible to compare really - then and now, players train to be fit for what they have to do. If Harvey Barnes had played in the fifties, he’d have been fit in the way players were then. If Bobby Charlton was young now, he’d be doing modern training. And probably not be smoking fags.

2 hours ago, Bert Fill said:

To be fair to modern-day players, they are playing football at about ten times the speed of players in Bobby Charlton’s day. And they aren’t allowed to just walk slowly around for ten minutes if the ball doesn’t come their way.

Impossible to compare really - then and now, players train to be fit for what they have to do. If Harvey Barnes had played in the fifties, he’d have been fit in the way players were then. If Bobby Charlton was young now, he’d be doing modern training. And probably not be smoking fags.

Just to be sure my memory isn't failing me , I watched a YouTube video of Leeds vs. Barcelona from 1974 and if the game was any slower it was marginal. Eddie Grey was rapid and highly skilled. The main difference was the defensive strategy , block defending with eight behind the ball was not the thing then and the long ball was much more common. The game was fiercely competitive and when you got tackled you knew it but these players were fit, very fit.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 07/06/2021 at 16:31, Jonezy said:

Not talking about achivements and world class talent, but one guy gave us all some happy moments in some dark times and slowly made us all believe again. That guy.... Lloyd Dyer. :wub:

Still saddens me, that the club and him could not come to an agreement, so he could have had a run out in the Prem for us.

Remember feeling bewildered that he'd left, seemed so strange considering he'd played such a big part in picking us up when we were on our arse in League 1. There must be a little bit of regret on his behalf that he didn't just take the one year deal (I think?) on offer at the time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J.Lisemore said:

Remember feeling bewildered that he'd left, seemed so strange considering he'd played such a big part in picking us up when we were on our arse in League 1. There must be a little bit of regret on his behalf that he didn't just take the one year deal (I think?) on offer at the time. 

Wasn't it some sort of rule that we only offered 1 year deals back then to anyone over 30 but Morgan got a three year deal? Can understand why he felt underappreciated!! 

On 07/06/2021 at 10:15, String fellow said:

He cooked the books in his post office, I believe.

At least he was out of the pokey before Glover went in for his drugs offence, could have had a great prison team! Used to like Lenny as a player but could be great for one game then gash for three.