Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Non League Football 2021/22

6 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Lovely to read about the Leicestershire non league scene being on the up.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it mate. makes a change from the PL!

Might pop down again on Saturday. Melton v Skegness Town!

Melton Town have Paul Anderson, formerly of Liverpool (albeit briefly), Forest and Swansea playing for them.

1 hour ago, Gary Eatfood said:

Coalville's game at Alvechurch has fallen victim to Storm Arwen.

Only looks like a light dusting.

It was absolutely awful early around here (I live 5 to 10 mins drive from Alvechurch) Had to jump in the car for the covid test and I got stuck twice. The roads would have been terrible in that area.

It would have been a pudding of a pitch noe it’s thawed out and the wind here is strong as well. Not the worst game to be called off for either team. 

28 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It was absolutely awful early around here (I live 5 to 10 mins drive from Alvechurch) Had to jump in the car for the covid test and I got stuck twice. The roads would have been terrible in that area.

It would have been a pudding of a pitch noe it’s thawed out and the wind here is strong as well. Not the worst game to be called off for either team. 

Fair enough. I wasn't looking forward to the drive so quite relieved the game has been called off.

There's two free Tuesday's before Christmas it can be played unless Alvechurch are playing in the Birmingham Senior Cup.

10 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Wasn't able to listen to our match against Daggers, but from all I read on my Notts forum everyone was freezing cold at the game lol

Happy with the win.

Very good win.

Happy to see the Spireites top and what a job Rowe has done. What a find by the club.

• Like 1

Hinckley have been ticking along nicely, their 9 game winning streak came to an end when they lost to Radford with a diminished team the other night but otherwise they’re still on the right track, still no discernible leader of the league as Rashford at the top have six losses already this season! Another good run of form should see them looking to grab top spot. 

58 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Hinckley have been ticking along nicely, their 9 game winning streak came to an end when they lost to Radford with a diminished team the other night but otherwise they’re still on the right track, still no discernible leader of the league as Rashford at the top have six losses already this season! Another good run of form should see them looking to grab top spot. 

I noticed that the other Hinckley have won their first 19 league games....yet are only 5 points clear at the top.

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

I noticed that the other Hinckley have won their first 19 league games....yet are only 5 points clear at the top.

Yep, for reasons I hope that lead quickly dissipates lol they were both in the same  setup (in the Midland Football League) up until last season, Leicester Road’s better finishes on average got them moved over and up a league whilst Hinckley went adjacent. We are looking a lot better in this league with a lot less travelling across the West Midlands and more chances of getting out the league (first place and play-offs as opposed to just first place in the MFL). They have a decent base attendance of around 200 as well so fingers crossed they can begin to build and ascend if we can get up this season. I’m not sure on Leicester Road’s attendance, last time I checked it was a man and his dog. 

25 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Yep, for reasons I hope that lead quickly dissipates lol they were both in the same  setup (in the Midland Football League) up until last season, Leicester Road’s better finishes on average got them moved over and up a league whilst Hinckley went adjacent. We are looking a lot better in this league with a lot less travelling across the West Midlands and more chances of getting out the league (first place and play-offs as opposed to just first place in the MFL). They have a decent base attendance of around 200 as well so fingers crossed they can begin to build and ascend if we can get up this season. I’m not sure on Leicester Road’s attendance, last time I checked it was a man and his dog. 

Crazy to think just 15 years ago Hinckley United got almost 4000 for a league game I wonder where all the fans went?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Crazy to think just 15 years ago Hinckley United got almost 4000 for a league game I wonder where all the fans went?

Even at the level they were at as United, it was almost always the case that it was Leicester or other club fans who would go down and watch ‘the local team’, Athletic and Town only merged in 1997, and at that point it was a Leicestershire Senior League team. So in my lifetime (I was born in ‘97) it merged, came up the league, settled as a Conference North team, and then folded in the space of 16 years. They never had time to develop a dedicated fanbase, and the post-liquidation schism wouldn’t have helped things. The team getting real crowds played out in the sticks in Heather/Ibstock and the team occupying the old ground garnered around 20 folks including subs. Neither are particularly appealing to the casual for their own reasons. 

That’s the importance of Hinckley AFC being back in the area at Barwell. A proper community club that can kick on with a dedicated support. We’re already beginning to see the benefits of that in the first games at Kirkby Road 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

There’s about three teams who’ve lost two games between them. Pretty mad.

Hope AFC can kick on again, they’ve started to stumble a bit recently but again it’s a really competitive division at the top 

• Like 1

On 28/11/2021 at 14:02, Finnaldo said:

Even at the level they were at as United, it was almost always the case that it was Leicester or other club fans who would go down and watch ‘the local team’, Athletic and Town only merged in 1997, and at that point it was a Leicestershire Senior League team. So in my lifetime (I was born in ‘97) it merged, came up the league, settled as a Conference North team, and then folded in the space of 16 years. They never had time to develop a dedicated fanbase, and the post-liquidation schism wouldn’t have helped things. The team getting real crowds played out in the sticks in Heather/Ibstock and the team occupying the old ground garnered around 20 folks including subs. Neither are particularly appealing to the casual for their own reasons. 

That’s the importance of Hinckley AFC being back in the area at Barwell. A proper community club that can kick on with a dedicated support. We’re already beginning to see the benefits of that in the first games at Kirkby Road 

I've got a vague memory of 'the Athletic' (Hinckley, not the website) playing Torquay on the BBC in the first round of the cup. Middlefield Lane. A marvellous old dump of a non league ground. 

Always played at a decent standard in the old West Midlands league (roughly a couple of divisons above the senior league and a division or two below southern league level)

16 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I've got a vague memory of 'the Athletic' (Hinckley, not the website) playing Torquay on the BBC in the first round of the cup. Middlefield Lane. A marvellous old dump of a non league ground. 

Always played at a decent standard in the old West Midlands league (roughly a couple of divisons above the senior league and a division or two below southern league level)

That was United then. Slight confusion is they beat Torquay and then were on the telly versus  Brentford. Harvey Barnes’ dad up front. 0-0 at Middlefield Lane and lost were very unfortunate to lose 2-1 at Griffin Park with ten men. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Yeah middlefield lane was a bit of a whole. However when the marstons stadium was opened 2005 that was certainly a non league ground to be proud. Just a shame that after six or seven years of moving into there no home Hinckley United went bust. Funny really in 2007 they were leading 3-1 against Farsley Celtic with ten minutes to in a conference north play off final. Ended up losing 3-4 missing out on promotion. If only eh things may have turned out so much different for the knitters. 

9 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

See former fox Tim flowers is the new Stratford boss. Noticed over the last few years they've named quite a few high profiled managers. Looks like the club must have bit of money back them. Not saying its working though I think they've had 4 managers in 3 years.

They do. Owner has previously backed Swindon, Worcester Rugby and Solihull Moors. He was chairman at Solihull when Flowers was there 

On 01/12/2021 at 14:08, Cardiff_Fox said:

AFC won last night which makes it very tight at the top of their division. 

Church walloped Stourbridge 5-1 last night. Didn’t think they had five goals in them but amongst the playoffs now 

They were 5-0 up at HT. Stourbridge had a brilliant result at Hemel Hempstead in the Trophy and then follow it up with this mauling. Third most goals conceded in the division now.