Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Patson Daka

16 hours ago, KingsleyPhiri said:

Red Bull Salzburg striker Patson Daka has rejected interest from West Ham as the race to sign him hots up, Football Insider has learned.

But his camp has let it be known he has his sights set on a move to a higher-level club in the newly-opened window.

Daka has also snubbed the possibility of a transfer to French club Monaco.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footballinsider247.com/sources-rb-salzburg-sensation-patson-daka-reacts-to-west-ham-swoop/amp/

It's an interesting one. You could argue that West Ham are a bigger club than us, given the size of their stadium. And they're in London. But we've won the PL and FA Cup in the last 6 seasons and have a far superior training facility. I'd say we also have the better manager and play more attractive football than West Ham. We've also finished in the top 5 two seasons running, whilst last season could still be a one off for them. We've also earnt ourselves a reputation as a club who buy and develop young talent before they move on to the 'elite' clubs. That can be annoying for us but it does make us attractive to young players on the up. 

So I'd say the fact that Daka has turned down West Ham does not rule us out. Daka knows if he goes to a massive club there is a risk he'll be a squad player, given he's not yet established as a top striker in a top league. It's a big step up from the Austrian league to the PL so he may think it makes sense to have a season or two playing for a club like us where he'll get more chances to play, still earn very good money, and can develop his game with less pressure. Equally, he may have confidence that he can break into the first team at Chelsea or Liverpool. Or he may decide that a club in another league, such as Leipzig, would be a better stepping stone than us. Hate calling us a stepping stone but that's the reality to some extent. 

The fact we're being linked to a talent like this is so exciting either way.

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

It's an interesting one. You could argue that West Ham are a bigger club than us, given the size of their stadium. And they're in London. But we've won the PL and FA Cup in the last 6 seasons and have a far superior training facility. I'd say we also have the better manager and play more attractive football than West Ham. We've also finished in the top 5 two seasons running, whilst last season could still be a one off for them. We've also earnt ourselves a reputation as a club who buy and develop young talent before they move on to the 'elite' clubs. That can be annoying for us but it does make us attractive to young players on the up. 

So I'd say the fact that Daka has turned down West Ham does not rule us out. Daka knows if he goes to a massive club there is a risk he'll be a squad player, given he's not yet established as a top striker in a top league. It's a big step up from the Austrian league to the PL so he may think it makes sense to have a season or two playing for a club like us where he'll get more chances to play, still earn very good money, and can develop his game with less pressure. Equally, he may have confidence that he can break into the first team at Chelsea or Liverpool. Or he may decide that a club in another league, such as Leipzig, would be a better stepping stone than us. Hate calling us a stepping stone but that's the reality to some extent. 

The fact we're being linked to a talent like this is so exciting either way.

I think this is clutching at straws.  If he has turned down West Ham because he is waiting for a better offer, he is not holding out for Leicester City.  He wants a super league club and he will get offers I'm sure.

44 minutes ago, murphy said:

I think this is clutching at straws.  If he has turned down West Ham because he is waiting for a better offer, he is not holding out for Leicester City.  He wants a super league club and he will get offers I'm sure.

Not necessarily, we pay more in wages than West Ham for a start and as soon as you have a reputation as a club who are the perfect platform to earn more money and get the exposure and hype to then get a mega move then the conveyor belt keeps on running. Dortmund do it and a few others.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Lets not forget we are seen as a club who helps develop players, so even if your end game is to play for a giant, you would benefit by coming here in your younger development years

Exactly. I got quite irate last summer when Eze went to Palace, an absolute abomination of a club as a stepping stone, reason being is they hardly ever develop players and it muster enough interest from the mega clubs to pay serious money. There's a fine line, our fans get annoyed that we are a selling club but they don't appreciate that we are so progressive at signing a player for a low to medium fee and turning them in to a top player who we then get a huge fee for that we then reinvest and keep improving.

The PL is awash with money now that unless teams get huge money for their players then they won't sell, but the big teams will easily dismiss players from certain clubs and we have the reputation of being the best at recruiting in the PL and the big teams are like curry to a pisshead, too lazy to scratch the surface and we have their kegs down. We are in this position through very shrewd decision making and a slice of good fortune, I see no reason to stop this model and players are aware of that and want to come here as its not a risky move for most.

• Like 2

Just now, Finnegan said:

Mate, I regularly used to argue that Jason Koumas was the best British midfielder of his generation. You can argue anything you want. 

It doesn't stop it being absolute delusional rubbish to the rest of the world. 

(For real though, Koumas was world class.)

lol Koumas always annoyed me. He looked incredible in the Championship. Far too good for the league. The moment he stepped up (each time) he looked a quarter of the player. 

We need a league in-between. Guys like Koumas, Knockaert, Neil Redfearn and Nuge to play in that. 

9 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

lol Koumas always annoyed me. He looked incredible in the Championship. Far too good for the league. The moment he stepped up (each time) he looked a quarter of the player. 

We need a league in-between. Guys like Koumas, Knockaert, Neil Redfearn and Nuge to play in that. 

That Wigan team with Kavanagh, Bullard, The Duke Ellington and Jason Roberts was like a pound land Barcelona when we were living off cheese in a can with their cast offs like Jason Jarrett.

I take this thread with a pinch of salt as there is far too many hurdles.

We have Vardy, Iheanacho and probably Edouard as front line strikers, we're not getting another one. To be contenders Edouard would have to fall through or Iheanacho gets sold, Vardy doesn't leave here under almost any circumstances.

I don't see Daka getting sold for around the £20m mark when he has his sights set on elite clubs and turning down the likes of West Ham and Monaco and anything much more than that puts us out the running in a position we'll be well stocked in if we get Edouard. 

Fantasy scenario for me would be selling Iheanacho for the same price as Daka & Edouard. :D

9 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I take this thread with a pinch of salt as there is far too many hurdles.

We have Vardy, Iheanacho and probably Edouard as front line strikers, we're not getting another one. To be contenders Edouard would have to fall through or Iheanacho gets sold, Vardy doesn't leave here under almost any circumstances.

I don't see Daka getting sold for around the £20m mark when he has his sights set on elite clubs and turning down the likes of West Ham and Monaco and anything much more than that puts us out the running in a position we'll be well stocked in if we get Edouard. 

Fantasy scenario for me would be selling Iheanacho for the same price as Daka & Edouard. :D

In a perfect world you would have two quality players for each position. If we play two up top we need 4 strikers, but I do agree that it seems unlikely. Probably just talk to get the Edouard deal finished.

• Like 1

Guest Bert Fill
12 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Yes please!!

Guest Bert Fill
13 minutes ago, Merchant_Banker said:

Not sure why people are keen to get rid of last seasons top scorer for two strikers who are unproven in the PL. They have great potential, but are still a risk.

Well ideally I’d like all three to be honest.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

That Wigan team with Kavanagh, Bullard, The Duke Ellington and Jason Roberts was like a pound land Barcelona when we were living off cheese in a can with their cast offs like Jason Jarrett.

Ellington and Roberts were so good that season they went up. That partnership was like a championship Shearer/Sutton, Yorke/Cole. They just fell away after that. I remember that Wigan team coming to KP (the Walkers as it was back then) smashing us 3-0 and their fans spending 10 mins in the second half doing the "easy" Soccer AM chant. Bad times. 

Ah, Jason Jarrett. The through ball to Fryatt against Derby to make it 1-1 is all I remember about him. I think it was him and Kevin Harper who looked so much better at their previous clubs and then looked less than ordinary against us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert Fill said:

Well ideally I’d like all three to be honest.

And if we're going to play two up top, we need four strikers. If we aren't, or not very often, we need three. But even if we 'only' need three, we need to start planning for a post-Vardy world. No harm in starting that now.

Edited by Steve Earle
  • Like 2

Daka

Barnes                                            Trincao

Coutinhio             Tielemens

Wilf

Gosens                                            Castagne 

Tarkowski    Evans      Wes

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Daka

Barnes                                            Trincao

Coutinhio             Tielemens

Wilf

Gosens                                            Castagne 

Tarkowski    Evans      Wes

They are all NAILED ON - apart from TARKOWSKI who’s off to Wet Spam now.

Oh and Trincao, Coutinho and Gosens. 

Edited by Nick
Oh and Daka.
  • Haha 1