Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Patson Daka

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This maaaay be an unpopular opinion on here but I'd probably be OK with it. 

Few notes:

1. Don't @ me but some of the best, if not THE best, football we've ever played under Rodgers was with Perez at RW. I'll die on this hill. 

2. We've finished 5th twice in a row with Rodgers, and won the FA Cup, with our current quota of RW stock and we aren't losing anyone this summer. 

3. We have no idea how good Sowah is going to be yet or what Rodgers expectations are for him but it's very possible he's seen as an RW. 

4. We all know that we have to replace Vardy's goals at some point in the near to immediate future. 

5. Conventional wisdom was that replacing Mahrez literally 1:1 was likely impossible, that replacing his assists / goal contributions REALLY meant bringing a number of players in to the squad who could do it collectively. We introduced Maddison, Barnes and Tielemans and did exactly that. 

If you apply the same logic to replacing Vardy, who is - with respect to some greats of the past - realistically the best striker in the history of the club and will probably be remembered as a Premier League great, we probably need to sign multiple players to do that. 

We have to prepare ourselves for the reality that neither Daka or Edouard will be as good as Vardy but hopefully the two of them + Kelechi will just about = 1 JV.

So in conclusion:

To maintain where we're at, we NEED to sign strikers to replace a declining Vardy (not just now but for the future.) We don't NEED to sign a RW. 

Obviously, ideally, we'd sign these two AND a winger of equal quality and instead of aiming to sustain, we'd aim to build. But given the unbelievable importance, the maybe club era defining importance, of replacing Vardy I don't think any of us can "lose our shit" that we'd prioritise that. 

By the way, if anyone's reaction to this episode of Finners' Soapbox is to say "yeah but Vardy has years yet, he's hardly slowing down!" I'd like to take this moment to put an arm round you, comfort and support you because I understand that you're going through the denial stage of grief. This is a hard time, we're all going to mourn his inevitable loss very, very hard. 

A quick look at Sawah's transfermarkt page:

at RW:

P7 G4

at LW:

P10 G3 A3

His overall ubiquity at OHL does look really useful and I really hope he's used next season.

• Like 1

Just now, urban.spaceman said:

A quick look at Sawah's transfermarkt page:

at RW:

P7 G4

at LW:

P10 G3 A3

His overall ubiquity at OHL does look really useful and I really hope he's used next season.

His versatility to play on either wing could great for us

Also never stops running and is pretty quick so will be a useful player to bring on with 20 minutes left

3 minutes ago, Reginaldo said:

Daka can play on the right according to transfermarkt ...

He's played an overwhelmingly high percentage of games as a central striker. I did check whether or not he'd played to the left or right of Haaland when they were there together and even then he played down the middle I think as a 2.

Thats having taken a cursory glance at Transfermarkt however. 

@StriderHiryu or @Ric Flair might have seen stats that say contrary. Don't think so, though. 

• Like 1

Just now, moore_94 said:

His versatility to play on either wing could great for us

Also never stops running and is pretty quick so will be a useful player to bring on with 20 minutes left

Indeed. 3 years on loan at OHL and he seems to have become the player many of us hoped Hamza would have turned into. 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

He's played an overwhelmingly high percentage of games as a central striker. I did check whether or not he'd played to the left or right of Haaland when they were there together and even then he played down the middle I think as a 2.

@StriderHiryu or @Ric Flair might have seen stats that say contrary. Don't think so, though. 

6 times out of 125 starts by the looks of it. Just 2 assists from there.

116 as a central striker - 68 goals and 24 assists

• Like 1

Just now, Finnegan said:

Although he probably can play as a right winger, it does seem he is pretty much just a striker

Centre Forward - 116 games

Right Winger - 6 games

Left Winger - 2 games

Attacking Mid - 1 game

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/patson-daka/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/365172

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

All of Zambia will become LCFC fans - can’t wait for the internet battles 

We'll get a few, I've been doing my bit!! But most people are Man U, Liverpool, or Chelsea, and really don't change. But having Patson here would help. 

Also, it's a really small country, only 16m people, and while smartphones are becoming more accessible, the internet is still far out of the reach of most. Many people get free facebook through MTN (I do!), but beyond that people don't stray too far online typically.

• Like 1