Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OhYesNdidi

Coutinho

8 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Coutinho 2021 is not and never will be again Coutinho 2015. A fit Maddison is a better player so we are not shopping in Barcelona's scrap yard.

Absolutely spot on, surely people have learnt something with our transfer dealings.

6 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

If we move predominantly to a 4-3-3 we won't need 2 number 10's in the squad.

One of the (many) systems which can be labelled 4-3-3 sees the front three comprising a central striker, a wide forward/wide striker (eg Barnes) and a creative technician/source of assists (eg Grealish). A fit and motivated Coutinho could play that role superbly.

4 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

If we move predominantly to a 4-3-3 we won't need 2 number 10's in the squad.

He played in a midfield 3 in a 4 3 3 under Rodgers in his  couple of seasons at Liverpool. He was moved to a number 10/LW role under Klopp. Saying that, whether we go  with a flat midfield 3 or a no 10, I don't think we have both Coutinho and Maddison in the squad, unless Rodgers has an idea of how to fit them both in. 

Edited by turlo
  • Like 1

Marseille rumours seem to be false as well

"Philippe Coutinho will not go to OM! Internally, Barça laughs at this rumor, because it is completely unfounded. Pablo Longoria is not interested."

Coutinho, it seems to me is like a cross between Bale and Fernando Torres. On the contract he’s on you can fully understand why he’d be happy to stay at Barcelona. Like Bale he’s on a massive contract, so why should he leave?

As for any club coming on for him, it would be like getting a Chelsea bound Torres rather than a vintage, pre injury, Liverpool thoroughbred. 

32 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Please don’t let it be us.

Their nuts are in a vice.  If you want to help them they have to help you.  Take him on a loan - no loan fee, and they pay 80% of his salary.

The thing with Coutinho is, if you do get the vintage guy he's your best player by a comfortable margin.  Will you?  Probably not - but he's the only theoretically gettable guy you could say that about.  And he's young enough that it could still happen, especially since he'd have something to prove and his has a history with Rodgers.  As always it comes down to risk/reward, and Barca would have to defray the risk enough to make it worthwhile for us.

Edited by Deeg67

Shocked at people saying they'd be happy if we accepted a bid of around £60 million like replacing a player of Tielemans ability is an easy thing to do.

We sold a certain right winger for that amount and haven't been able to replace him. Can we really afford to lose his creativity in the centre and risk not being able to replace him?

I'd be gutted if we lost him. Not only is he invaluable to the way we play (in my humble opinion) but he seems such a genuinely nice guy too, and a possible future captain.

I'm hoping he can see what we're trying to build here and will give us the chance to make it 3rd time lucky in cracking the champions league spot 

We are building a team to challenge the so called big teams, but selling players like Youri or Ndidi (I mention him also but there's 8 or 9 others I'd class as vital to keep) is a step back we can't afford to make.

I know we model ourselves on developing and selling for profit, and reinventing wisely, but some players are irreplaceable,  and while there are others who can do the same job Youri is doing, how many, of equal or greater ability, will come to little Leicester on wages we can afford to pay?

If we have aspirations of competing again with the top 4 this season we need to tie Youri down to another contract. I wont be convinced otherwise. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, turlo said:

He played in a midfield 3 in a 4 3 3 under Rodgers in his  couple of seasons at Liverpool. He was moved to a number 10/LW role under Klopp. Saying that, whether we go  with a flat midfield 3 or a no 10, I don't think we have both Coutinho and Maddison in the squad, unless Rodgers has an idea of how to fit them both in. 

I'm very sceptical about whether Coutinho would be a sensible buy for us.  However, i feel that whilst we probably couldn't, and wouldn't want to, fit 2 number 10s into the team we do ideally need 2 in the squad who are capable of playing that role, for the usual reasons of cover for injury/loss of form/exhaustion etc.

Edited by deep blue

My main worry about relying on Maddison is that I'm not confident he won't have a reoccurrence of his hip problem.

However, I have the same reservations about Courtinho and his injury problems.

Then again, if both stay fit can we accommodate 2 number 10's in the starting line up, as I can't see either being happy at being on the bench even on a rotational basis or whether having such expensive assets not playing is sensible.

Is Courtinho being lined up as a potential replacement for Youri, with Maddison playing the number 8 role?

Edited by MGLCFC

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

49days out with a knock? He'll fit in perfectly

lol

Quite frequent hammy injuries though for a pro-footballer who you'd have thought would have had the best preventative and strength building treatment / coaching / advice...

Anyway he's not coming here but I just can't get on the I DON'T WANT COUTINHO AT LEICESTER bandwagon – supporting a football team isn't about rationality – it's about the impossible dream. As LCFC fans, getting behind the realisation of an impossible dream is surely what we do.

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

49days out with a knock? He'll fit in perfectly

Agree. Matty James‘s berth is now free.  Harvey is out of the Ward, so just JJ and Tim.....at the moment.

13 minutes ago, Nick said:

lol

Quite frequent hammy injuries though for a pro-footballer who you'd have thought would have had the best preventative and strength building treatment / coaching / advice...

Anyway he's not coming here but I just can't get on the I DON'T WANT COUTINHO AT LEICESTER bandwagon – supporting a football team isn't about rationality – it's about the impossible dream. As LCFC fans, getting behind the realisation of an impossible dream is surely what we do.

We don't need to dream anymore, we are actually there. We are a major club and to stay there we have to keep our feet on the ground and stay in the real world.

• Like 3

Has been cleared to return to playing following his lay off with injury

https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/alegria-lleva-barca-coutinho-11914998

Philippe Coutinho will no longer have more opportunities at FC Barcelona . The Barça sports management has made a final decision and the future of the Brazilian no longer passes through the Camp Nou . The performance, always lower than the expectations generated by his signing, and the injuries , have marked the Barça stage of one of the most expensive players in the history of the Catalan entity.

There were certain doubts, including concern, about Coutinho's physical condition after he underwent surgery in Brazil on April 5. The footballer was successfully operated on for a meniscal cyst on his left knee by Dr. Rodrigo Lasmar, under the supervision of the FC Barcelona medical services. This intervention came after Coutinho underwent arthroscopy on January 2 after suffering an injury to the external meniscus in his left knee on December 30, 2020 .

The estimated loss time was three months, although due to complications, Coutinho will have spent almost seven in the dry dock. A major disappointment for the player and for FC Barcelona, which at the time (January 2018) agreed with Liverpool a payment of 120 million plus another 40 based on variables, 20 for reaching a hundred games (it has remained in 90).

With the start of the preseason, Coutinho has returned to Barcelona and, after undergoing an exhaustive review , the Barça medical team has verified that he is now in a position to compete again. Very good news for the footballer and for Barça, who feared the worst: that the player would require a third surgical intervention to leave behind the physical problems.

The Barça goal, which is in a hurry to close the issue, is to release the player to lower the team's salary mass , although the reality is that there are few expectations to achieve an attractive transfer figure. There was talk of an offer from Marseille, which would have a sponsor to close the deal , and of the interest of several teams in the Premier League , a competition he knows and in which he reached his best level defending the Liverpool shirt.

Edited by moore_94