Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Jamie Vardy becomes co-owner of Rochester Rhinos (American Football Team "Soccer")

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/12332950/jamie-vardy-leicester-city-striker-becomes-co-owner-of-new-york-state-based-football-club-rochester-rhinos

Jamie Vardy: Leicester City striker becomes co-owner of American football club Rochester Rhinos

Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy has become co-owner of American football club Rochester Rhinos.

Former England international Vardy has bought a minority stake in the New York state-based side but has no plans to retire from playing.

Rochester, formed in 1996, have not competed at any level for four years, but they have won the national championships four times and are the only non-MLS team to have won the US Open Cup.

With Vardy involved, they plan to field a team again in 2022.

The Dworkin family who have owned the Rhinos since 2016 have been in negotiations with Vardy and his representatives for more than two years.

A big part of Vardy's plan is to try to recreate some of the success he managed with his "V9 Academy" in England, which gave a second chance to non-league players who Vardy felt were good enough to play in professional football.

Rochester has now signed a partnership with the highly respected Empire United Soccer Academy, which will operate in tandem with the Rhinos to provide a pathway to the first team for elite local players.

Leicester have given Vardy permission to pursue this opportunity while he still focuses on playing.

"I'm really excited to be part of the Rhinos," Vardy said. "I've been looking at opportunities in the United States for a while, but there was something about Rochester and the Rhinos that just felt right.

"I love the story of the US Open Cup win, and although the club has been through some difficult years since, in a way that makes this more appealing to me.

"Once I started speaking to David and Wendy (Dworkin) - and we've had so many conversations via video calls - I could see how enthusiastic they are about the Rhinos, and I knew that I wanted to get involved and try to play a part in helping to turn things around.

"It won't be easy, but I never do anything the easy way in life!"

The Dworkins also part-own the NBA's Sacramento Kings.

"This is a huge coup for Rochester and the Rhinos," David Dworkin said.

"Jamie Vardy is known throughout the soccer world because of his success and his inspirational story, and we are delighted that he has chosen to join us as a co-owner.

"Aside from the experience, knowledge, and profile that Jamie will bring to our club, one of the things that has really shone through during our discussions with him is how incredibly passionate he is about this project.

"Jamie absolutely shares our desire to give Rochester a successful soccer team again."

6 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

I guess the aim will be to get them in to the MLS and a big return on investment.

It’s just “MLS” and there’s no promotion or relegation here. I don’t know, though, we’ll see how this turns out.

One of the curses of having a city with the same name as the state is that people from outside never know which “New York” is being referred to. Sure hope he wasn’t convinced that Rochester is anywhere close to New York City!

3 minutes ago, Mehrez said:

Pretty strange but imagine his Mrs fancies a move to the US when his playing days are over 

She’s been to NYC before and watched a game with New York Foxes. Rochester is, let’s just say, very different to NYC and not very close at all. :P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_77 said:

It’s just “MLS” and there’s no promotion or relegation here. I don’t know, though, we’ll see how this turns out.

One of the curses of having a city with the same name as the state is that people from outside never know which “New York” is being referred to. Sure hope he wasn’t convinced that Rochester is anywhere close to New York City!

Maybe the hope is to eventually be invited to join as an expansion team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_77 said:

She’s been to NYC before and watched a game with New York Foxes. Rochester is, let’s just say, very different to NYC and not very close at all. :P

I’m sure he can get himself a private jet to fly over from New York, no doubt it will have a call sign of 69-CSGB

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, The_77 said:

It’s going to be absolutely baltic up there most of the year too lol 

14 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

I guess the aim will be to get them in to the MLS and a big return on investment.

MLS doesn't do promotion, it's a franchise system. Right now, the franchise fee is about $200 million. And I am not sure MLS are looking to locate to an upper New York city of 200,000 people (metro area 1 million, the 51st largest in the US).

Even the lower divisions, which are technically one league, don't do promotion and relegation. Rochester was due to be playing in League 1, which third tier, but it wouldn't be able to get to the second tier by playing well -- it could, however, just apply to join it.

The economics of "minor league soccer" in the U.S. is weird (even before covid), and often more based on making money off the stadium development than anything else. For example, there is very little movement of players from the lower divisions to MLS, and even less involving transfer fees.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1