Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Jamie Vardy becomes co-owner of Rochester Rhinos (American Football Team "Soccer")

7 hours ago, KingsX said:

Rochester is about as close to NYC as London is to Glasgow ... too small for skyscrapers even in its heyday ... and since the 1980s there's less and less left of its economy.  The only football club there the last few years is the Lancers, a mediocre outfit in the fourth (99% amateur) tier my club usually destroys.  I cannot imagine a scenario where the city could support an MLS club (i.e. one with a return on the $200M - $350M franchise fee).

This must be something of a passion project for JV.  He'd surely be welcomed into the owners' suite at many MLS clubs, but if he's attracted to such an underdog town and club, how can you not love him for it?  It could be the same impulse that kept him at LCFC.

If he does decides to play a season there, it's only 4-1/2 hours from us, with the scenery and wineries of the Finger Lakes in between.  :vardy:

I can only imagine this is a play for a Green Card. 

3 hours ago, FoxInTheBoxes said:

Found this video by a Rhinos fan. They seem pretty happy about Vardy!

couldn't get past "you might remember Lye-chester City's 2017 title..."

Good luck with that lot Jamie!

On 15/06/2021 at 10:52, The_77 said:

She’s been to NYC before and watched a game with New York Foxes. Rochester is, let’s just say, very different to NYC and not very close at all. :P

From Toronto area rochester is much closer to us (3 hours) than from nyc.

Playing for this team would be like  me and 10 of my old footy mates getting back together in our current early 40s to have a kick about. Have a few beers and show the youth how its done......then at the end of the game finish ourselves off with a garbage plate (and more beer).

Edited by Jattdogg

So the city of Rochester owns the current stadium and his co owners have said they won't play there.  At one point the city tried to evict them prior to the Dworkin's actually terminating the lease.  But the team has not played a match since 2018 becuase they were hemoraging money.   My first reaction is the may be valuing Jamie's money first and foremost - but maybe his name opens some doors in terms of attracting more investment in the club. This is going to be a very interesting story to watch.

He's buying into a cigar butt asset and trying to revive it.  Hopefully he won't be writing too many big checks.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

From Toronto area rochester is much closer to us (3 hours) than from nyc.

Playing for this team would be like  me and 10 of my old footy mates getting back together in our current early 40s to have a kick about. Have a few beers and show the youth how its done......then at the end of the game finish ourselves off with a garbage plate (and more beer).

Rochester may not be a large city per se  but the population of the metropolitan area exceeds a million: I.e. large enough to support an MLS franchise. Rochester Lancers played in the old NASL - I remember them being put to the sword by Pele and Chinaglia. So  Rochester has something of a soccer tradition.

4 hours ago, Post Horn Galloper said:

Rochester may not be a large city per se  but the population of the metropolitan area exceeds a million: I.e. large enough to support an MLS franchise. Rochester Lancers played in the old NASL - I remember them being put to the sword by Pele and Chinaglia. So  Rochester has something of a soccer tradition.

I was having a laugh really..  metropolitan area of 1 mill would help IF people buy into football. Not sure of the area in regards to support for football at 15 ro 20k fans a game but if they support like they do for college sports then would be fine.

The toronto area is very ethnically diverse with people from europe and all over where football (real football lol)  is big and we have 1 team.

The greater Toronto-Hamilton-Niagara area has over 7.5 million people. Thats anywhere from within a 1 to 1.5 hour drive from toronto tops and in between. Could definitely use with another MLS team and another hockey team likely in the hamilton area (screw the sabres). Would make for an intense rivalry with toronto and montreal!

Hope this works out for vardy and the rochester area!

Great British soccer star Jamie Vardy has teamed up with Love Productions USA on a new documentary series, “Rhino Reboot,” that will see him attempt to rebuild underdog soccer team The Rochester Rhinos.

Vardy, a Premier League soccer player who has also played for England, co-owns the Rhinos along with Sacramento Kings co-owners David and Wendy Dworkin. The series will offer exclusive access to the team’s management, coaching team, owners, players and staff as Vardy and his colleagues re-boot the Rhinos’ image and, hopefully, their performance as they make a bid for glory in 2022.

Among Vardy and the Dworkins’ first tasks will be finding a head coach and chief business officer, scouting for young players and building a team.

Love Productions USA is the U.S. arm of “Great British Bake-Off” producer Love Productions. Its co-presidents, Joe LaBracio and Al Edgington, have worked on sports productions including “Last Chance U” and “Cricket Fever: Mumbai Indians.”

“Jamie Vardy famously went from working on a factory floor to winning the Premier League title with Leicester City when they were a 5,000-1 shot, so as far as underdog stories go, viewers of this series can expect an exciting and entertaining ride,” said LaBracio and Edgington. “We have a lot of experience capturing the behind-the-scenes action, drama and ecstasy that goes into preparing a sports team for a winning season. David and Wendy are experienced franchise owners and know a winning opportunity when they spot it, and Jamie is the epitome of why we love sports—an underdog who continues to demonstrate that if you set goals and work hard, you can achieve greatness.”

Vardy added: “We are really looking forward to working with Al and Joe at Love Productions and for them to capture the exciting journey ahead with the Rhinos!”

LaBracio and Edgington will executive produce the project alongside Richard McKerrow (“The Great British Bake Off”), Simon Egan (“The King’s Speech”), Olwyn Silvester (“David Attenborough’s First Life”) and Adrian Butchart (“Goal!”).

Edited by moore_94

3 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Great British soccer star Jamie Vardy has teamed up with Love Productions USA on a new documentary series, “Rhino Reboot,” that will see him attempt to rebuild underdog soccer team The Rochester Rhinos.

Vardy, a Premier League soccer player who has also played for England, co-owns the Rhinos along with Sacramento Kings co-owners David and Wendy Dworkin. The series will offer exclusive access to the team’s management, coaching team, owners, players and staff as Vardy and his colleagues re-boot the Rhinos’ image and, hopefully, their performance as they make a bid for glory in 2022.

Among Vardy and the Dworkins’ first tasks will be finding a head coach and chief business officer, scouting for young players and building a team.

Love Productions USA is the U.S. arm of “Great British Bake-Off” producer Love Productions. Its co-presidents, Joe LaBracio and Al Edgington, have worked on sports productions including “Last Chance U” and “Cricket Fever: Mumbai Indians.”

“Jamie Vardy famously went from working on a factory floor to winning the Premier League title with Leicester City when they were a 5,000-1 shot, so as far as underdog stories go, viewers of this series can expect an exciting and entertaining ride,” said LaBracio and Edgington. “We have a lot of experience capturing the behind-the-scenes action, drama and ecstasy that goes into preparing a sports team for a winning season. David and Wendy are experienced franchise owners and know a winning opportunity when they spot it, and Jamie is the epitome of why we love sports—an underdog who continues to demonstrate that if you set goals and work hard, you can achieve greatness.”

Vardy added: “We are really looking forward to working with Al and Joe at Love Productions and for them to capture the exciting journey ahead with the Rhinos!”

LaBracio and Edgington will executive produce the project alongside Richard McKerrow (“The Great British Bake Off”), Simon Egan (“The King’s Speech”), Olwyn Silvester (“David Attenborough’s First Life”) and Adrian Butchart (“Goal!”).

THIS IS GOOD.

The Bake Off is my wife’s favorite show, and she’ll be pleasantly shocked when I tell her they have “kind of a sequel” going that I’ll actually watch with her.

And it really should help make Leicester City more of a household name over here.

THIS IS NOT SO GOOD.

JV is the only Star Power this thing has got *, and if they expect him to fulfill a leading role before, during and after the USL season “as Vardy and his colleagues make a bid for glory”, he may not be able to be 100% invested in his day job. 

* I realize Rebekah may disagree

40 minutes ago, KingsX said:

JV is the only Star Power this thing has got *, and if they expect him to fulfill a leading role before, during and after the USL season “as Vardy and his colleagues make a bid for glory”, he may not be able to be 100% invested in his day job. 

It's reality television: They can film a season of him "actively playing a lead role" over a couple of days.

And to not be that guy, but the fact that it is reality tv makes me think Rebekah Vardy will be standing in for her husband a lot during the series, while he concentrates on his football.

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

It's reality television: They can film a season of him "actively playing a lead role" over a couple of days.

And to not be that guy, but the fact that it is reality tv makes me think Rebekah Vardy will be standing in for her husband a lot during the series, while he concentrates on his football.

Cynical.

Cynical.

But yeah.

When will this even start?