Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Jamie Vardy becomes co-owner of Rochester Rhinos (American Football Team "Soccer")

32 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Been rebranded as Rochester New York FC by Vardy and co. 

Anyone know how the rebrand has been received by fans? 

By the looks of the replies on social media: terribly.

The Rhinos name has a cachet in the area (considering the history of when the team was successful).

The new name and logo are being perceived as too generic.

And regarding the name, are they just really trying to make sure people don’t get confused with Rochester, Minnesota? Are they linking to the State of New York, or hoping people around the world associate it with New York City (which is not even close to Rochester)?

Also, the whole thing about being a “global brand” seems incredibly far-fetched. It’s going to be incredibly hard to stand out in the American sports world, let alone the global football ecosystem. Hell, RNYFC even have their work cut out for them in being relevant in Western New York (a region that itself has some work to do in terms of economic revitalization). They don’t have a stadium (they’re planning on playing 2022 in a sports field complex that, if I’m not mistaken, isn’t really suited to have fans), and they’ll probably need to work on that before taking over the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bit of an odd team to invest into for Vards no? I’m sure he had lots of options. He’s doing some good work with his foundation in England to give opportunities to players like him starting out trying to get a foothold in the professional game. Good for him I guess.

Doesn't surprise me that JV has fallen into a bit of a trap where he's been sold a dream by a PR agency.... screams basic and also a lack of consideration for the area.

The Rhino thing probably would have helped with the global reach angle because it just sounds so ridiculously American lol 

They've tried to water things down and by doing so lost some of the essence of what would have made the documentary and growth of the club itself appealing to a wider audience.

Like I say not surprising that a celeb just goes with whichever agency they're probably linked to, and that agency probably put a team on that has no idea about Rochester, the Rhino's or indeed probably football/soccer

The name change makes sense to me, but I'm English, my first thought was, I didn't know Rhinos were native to USA let alone NY state. I don't think I'll ever understand calling yourself a team that has no association with the area but maybe years ago there was a famous Rhino in the area. Cooper the homosexual Rhino was a much loved attraction at Rochester zoo when the club first formed and named themselves Rochester Raging Rhinos, later to shorten to just Rhinos when Cooper died and his raging days were over. 

Cheap, ground-floor and I bet it gets him a bunch of tax and emigration exemptions. Who know maybe he can turn it around.

1 hour ago, cruzFOX said:

Bit of an odd team to invest into for Vards no? I’m sure he had lots of options. He’s doing some good work with his foundation in England to give opportunities to players like him starting out trying to get a foothold in the professional game. Good for him I guess.

There was some good work, but the V9 Academy's website news page hasn't been updated since 2018. The academy didn't open in 2020 (pre-Covid19) due to lack of funding. The company is still active at Companies House. 

• 3 months later...

https://www.whec.com/rochester-new-york-news/premier-league-soccer-star-vardy-to-help-announce-future-of-rochester-new-york-fc/6323604/?cat=12713

Premier League soccer star Vardy to help announce future of 'Rochester New York FC'

Created: December 06, 2021 01:21 PM
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — We'll soon learn the future of Rochester "re-imagined" soccer club "Rochester New York FC" as the owners will hold a news conference Monday.

According to the team, co-owners David and Wendy Dworkin and British professional soccer star Jamie Vardy will be in attendance to make the announcement.

"RNY FC" became the chosen name for the team in September as part of a rebranding of the former Rochester Rhinos.

In 2020, the Rhinos announced a partnership with the Empire United Soccer Academy to train at Empire's facility in Henrietta. The complex has a lighted turf field, indoor field house, gym, and team meeting facilities. The team is planning to play its first season there before looking for a permanent home in Monroe County.

The team moved out of their stadium in Rochester back in 2018, breaking its partnership with the city. The team hasn't played since.

Vardy, who took on the role in June, had a hand in the team's re-design.

Monday's news conference is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.

Don't see how Vardy can be there.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Don't see how Vardy can be there.

He wasn’t. Did all the announcements from Seagrave.

They’re joining a new league which is 20 MLS2 clubs plus them… promotion to MLS to play for I assume? 

Edited by AjcW

Jamie Vardy’s US soccer club Rochester New York have become the only non-Major League Soccer outfit to be given a place in the new MLS Next Pro League, which launches in 2022.

Vardy’s V9 academy is understood to be central to the drive by Rochester to get involved in the new league, which is seen as becoming the stepping stone between academy and senior football, which the game in the US has tended to lack.

Based by Lake Ontario in New York State, 100 miles from Niagara Falls, Rochester Rhinos were one of the USA’s most famous clubs and remain the only non-MLS club to win the US Open Cup since the new professional league began in 1996.

The team stopped playing in 2017 and, in June 2021, Vardy was confirmed as a new co-owner, with a name change announced in September.

“Joining this league, which is full of opportunity for communities, fans, players and staff – on the pitch and off – is a tremendous point of pride for our club,” said Vardy.

17 hours ago, AjcW said:

He wasn’t. Did all the announcements from Seagrave.

They’re joining a new league which is 20 MLS2 clubs plus them… promotion to MLS to play for I assume? 

Nah it is more like a reserve league - in fact Vardys team are the only one in the division that aren't the reserve side of an MLS team

Edited by moore_94

On 01/09/2021 at 10:55, cruzFOX said:

On 01/09/2021 at 11:22, AjcW said:

Doesn't surprise me that JV has fallen into a bit of a trap where he's been sold a dream by a PR agency.... screams basic and also a lack of consideration for the area.

The Rhino thing probably would have helped with the global reach angle because it just sounds so ridiculously American lol 

They've tried to water things down and by doing so lost some of the essence of what would have made the documentary and growth of the club itself appealing to a wider audience.

Like I say not surprising that a celeb just goes with whichever agency they're probably linked to, and that agency probably put a team on that has no idea about Rochester, the Rhino's or indeed probably football/soccer

theres a tv documentary series being done on the rebirth of the team. This will likely have something to do with it..

Rochester has a club (Lancers) in the NPSL, a fourth-tier summer league populated by college stars, ex-pros, and young coaches.  I’ve seen them live two of the last three seasons. They were below average at that level.  Rochester is not a densely populated region, and doesn’t appear to have much local talent.

So these Rhinos will have to cast their net wider.  I hope it works.  I loved the V9 concept, and if it has to cross the water to flourish, all good.  I look forward to seeing a match -- especially if Vardy spends time there once done playing.

Rochester is close to Finger Lakes wine country (though not very close to NYC), so may become an option for touring Foxes if Jamie does make the home matches.

• 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, MPH said:

What was the final score? Anyone know?

Lost 2-0

Weren't given a stonewall penalty in the first half, and then St Louis were also given a penalty that was a dive

Refereeing was horrendous

Edited by moore_94

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

He should have named them Leicester Rhinos. Then they would stand out from the rest.

Li-Chester united - They nearly have an  aneurysm trying to read our name 😂

Edited by Lambert09
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

PACKING THEIR WAGS 

Under-fire Vardys will flee UK after Wagatha trial

EMBATTLED Rebekah Vardy will quit the UK with footballer husband Jamie in the wake of her disastrous Wagatha Christie libel trial.

The couple plan a move to the US regardless of the result.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/18614190/rebekah-jamie-vardy-flee-uk-after-trial-rooneys/

lets hope it’s Bullshit and she still ain’t leaking stories 

On 01/09/2021 at 15:53, Jordan said:

By the looks of the replies on social media: terribly.

The Rhinos name has a cachet in the area (considering the history of when the team was successful).

The new name and logo are being perceived as too generic.

And regarding the name, are they just really trying to make sure people don’t get confused with Rochester, Minnesota? Are they linking to the State of New York, or hoping people around the world associate it with New York City (which is not even close to Rochester)?

Also, the whole thing about being a “global brand” seems incredibly far-fetched. It’s going to be incredibly hard to stand out in the American sports world, let alone the global football ecosystem. Hell, RNYFC even have their work cut out for them in being relevant in Western New York (a region that itself has some work to do in terms of economic revitalization). They don’t have a stadium (they’re planning on playing 2022 in a sports field complex that, if I’m not mistaken, isn’t really suited to have fans), and they’ll probably need to work on that before taking over the world.

Other than that though, They’re smashing it.

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

PACKING THEIR WAGS 

Under-fire Vardys will flee UK after Wagatha trial

EMBATTLED Rebekah Vardy will quit the UK with footballer husband Jamie in the wake of her disastrous Wagatha Christie libel trial.

The couple plan a move to the US regardless of the result.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/18614190/rebekah-jamie-vardy-flee-uk-after-trial-rooneys/

lets hope it’s Bullshit and she still ain’t leaking stories 

HA! I promise I didn’t see this when posting about this possibility in the trial thread in general chat.

He has a contract for one more season doesn't he?

My guess is that they'll have an extended summer holiday now and around Christmas, Rebekah will move to America to set up home and Jamie will join her out there at the end of next season.

• Like 1