Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Maddison

Just now, Chocolate Teapot said:

65m and I'd sell.

Not sure I'd even replace him like for like either. Buy an out and out right winger and another winger.

We'd still need another ACM but maybe one more versatile than Maddison. I just don't get why Arsenal want him, with Smith-Rowe and Joe Willock they've two very good prospects. I'm staggered they aren't after Auoar again who can leave for around £25m and who I'd want us to seriously look at.

4 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

If Brendan thinks we can do better than that’s fine. Players come and go, there are some good options out there who are better than James Maddison.

It’s slightly worrying that we spent £30m on Perez though…. 

And then Tielemans leaves? We are trying to build a bigger squad, not offlo

ad the almost irreplaceable……As a matter of interest who have we in mind……so far a Winger but which one, and everyone’s favourite Italian Locatelli….

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

If Brendan thinks we can do better than that’s fine. Players come and go, there are some good options out there who are better than James Maddison.

Please do give examples of players easily obtainable at a price we would pay that are better than Maddison. Maddison has had a horrendous stop start time with injuries in the past 12 months + and hasn’t got to the levels he can - his first season he created the most chances across all five top European leagues - the reason why a team like Arsenal want him. Yet some fans think he can easily be replaced or more worryingly we don’t even need to replace him at all. 

At this rate will have sold Youri, Soyuncu, Madders by some fans on here. 

I accept madders could go at some point but anyone who says he is easily replaceable simply doesn’t know what they’re talking about sorry!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

And then Tielemans leaves? We are trying to build a bigger squad, not offlo

ad the almost irreplaceable……As a matter of interest who have we in mind……so far a Winger but which one, and everyone’s favourite Italian Locatelli….

The strongest links of the summer have been Noni Madueke at PSV. He ticks all the boxes.

We were linked with Michael Olise at Reading in January when Gray was leaving and he is as much of a right winger as he is an ACM so he'd fit the profile. Suddenly with Sowah and KDH coming back we will have a much better balance of left footed players in the squad.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
31 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We'd still need another ACM but maybe one more versatile than Maddison. I just don't get why Arsenal want him, with Smith-Rowe and Joe Willock they've two very good prospects. I'm staggered they aren't after Auoar again who can leave for around £25m and who I'd want us to seriously look at.

Were stacked with cm's too currently assuming Soumare gets announced.

If we want the flexibility to play 433 or 343/1-2 then maddison doesn't really fit.

A proper right winger could play behind a number 9 with Barnes in either system and we'd need a more combative midfield to do that.

I've always really liked Praet and think he'd much more suited to a number 8 role than what we ask him to do currently. 

You're probably right though a number 10 who's comfortable outwide too is preferable on top of a right winger. 

34 minutes ago, Lesta Legend said:

Please do give examples of players easily obtainable at a price we would pay that are better than Maddison. Maddison has had a horrendous stop start time with injuries in the past 12 months + and hasn’t got to the levels he can - his first season he created the most chances across all five top European leagues - the reason why a team like Arsenal want him. Yet some fans think he can easily be replaced or more worryingly we don’t even need to replace him at all. 

At this rate will have sold Youri, Soyuncu, Madders by some fans on here. 

I accept madders could go at some point but anyone who says he is easily replaceable simply doesn’t know what they’re talking about sorry!

Agreed 

38 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Were stacked with cm's too currently assuming Soumare gets announced.

If we want the flexibility to play 433 or 343/1-2 then maddison doesn't really fit.

A proper right winger could play behind a number 9 with Barnes in either system and we'd need a more combative midfield to do that.

I've always really liked Praet and think he'd much more suited to a number 8 role than what we ask him to do currently. 

You're probably right though a number 10 who's comfortable outwide too is preferable on top of a right winger. 

The problem is that Praet is basically a mezzala, and there’s no role for one in any system Rodgers has used or is likely to use.  That’s the same reason I have my doubts that he’ll ever really utilize any sort of box to box midfielder - it’s just antithetical to his football philosophy.

I think Maddison gets an unfair level of criticism and his goals, assists, and ability to progress the ball and win free kicks over the past three years or so for us is sometimes overlooked.

That being said, I think a sale form £60m plus represents good business - but of course that is dependent, as ever, on our recruitment and who we replace him with.

2 hours ago, Le Renard said:

I just love how some people on here can sell players and redevelop the squad like it is FM or FIFA!  An on form & fit Maddison will be very difficult to replace.

This exactly. Selling players is one thing but replacing them is such an effort. Every player can be replaced blah blah but like for like replacements are rare.

Best example is when Kante left. We signed Ndidi. Now for me, I think NOW we have replaced Kante. I think we have a quality ball winner whose passing has improved and is essentially a world class player capable of playing in any elite competition. However, when we signed Wilf he wasnt at that level. He had all the potential which we (alongside his hard work) had to coach out of him. 

Apply to Maguire. We signed Cags an entire season before. There was a rashness to his game which needed ironing out (he still, very rarely has those moments). He is now a very good player but that first season out of the limelight, working with the coaches etc. was very much needed. 

I could list so many players. When Riccy P first signed, there were arguments on here that he was a liability because "he couldnt defend", Barnes out of the youth team couldnt score. Kel lacked consistency. etc. 

That's why I would rather keep him then lose him. Yeah, his replacement would have incredible potential (because I trust our scouting team) but they'll be rough around the edges. That will set us back and for what we are trying to achieve, we cant afford a set back in progress. Maybe he goes in two years but in that time we need to have found that gem to step in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

This exactly. Selling players is one thing but replacing them is such an effort. Every player can be replaced blah blah but like for like replacements are rare.

Best example is when Kante left. We signed Ndidi. Now for me, I think NOW we have replaced Kante. I think we have a quality ball winner whose passing has improved and is essentially a world class player capable of playing in any elite competition. However, when we signed Wilf he wasnt at that level. He had all the potential which we (alongside his hard work) had to coach out of him. 

Apply to Maguire. We signed Cags an entire season before. There was a rashness to his game which needed ironing out (he still, very rarely has those moments). He is now a very good player but that first season out of the limelight, working with the coaches etc. was very much needed. 

I could list so many players. When Riccy P first signed, there were arguments on here that he was a liability because "he couldnt defend", Barnes out of the youth team couldnt score. Kel lacked consistency. etc. 

That's why I would rather keep him then lose him. Yeah, his replacement would have incredible potential (because I trust our scouting team) but they'll be rough around the edges. That will set us back and for what we are trying to achieve, we cant afford a set back in progress. Maybe he goes in two years but in that time we need to have found that gem to step in. 

This is perceptive, if we have a team of potential instead of actuality expect to spend most of the season in mid table at best. If we did there would be a lot of screaming on here.

49 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

See Villa have bid for Smith-Rowe. Would happily do a deal involving cash and Smith-Rowe for Maddison. 

Arsenal are reported to be very close to agreeing a new contract with Smith-Rowe. 

Looks like the Maddison story does have some credibility, as Romano confirmed on Arsenal Fan TV (I know, I feel a little bit dirty having watched it) that Arsenal are interested but their no.1 target is Odegaard, who currently looks likely to stay at Real Madrid. 

Arsenal will not be paying the asking price. They have no European Football and will need to off load a truck load of deadwood before they can bring anyone in.  They are no longer a threat to us in the Transfer Market.  

5 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

What saddens me is the mud that's slung at J M, by fickle fans, who need mud slinging at themselves. Why does he get singled out so much?  He IS a quality player, and yes he does have some bad games, but no more than anyone else. :dunno:

He's his own worse enemy!

I can't forgive his stupidity and unprofessional actions before the vital game against West Ham!..

As far as I'm concerned he and Perez can go and I'm sure the club will replace both with better options!

I really hope the Arsenal rumour is true and we can get an extortionate amount of money out of them!

The other thing few people mention is injuries......and boy have we had a few, Maddison himself.....as a result we will need a squad.......and on top Wilf being at the Afcon......unless you are 100% convinced we can improve on James Maddison, stick with him....