Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Maddison

Maddison is replaceable, not dissimilar to Maguire or Chilwell. If good money can come in thanks to English premium (£50m+) then I’d sell. Pity Buendia has already been snapped up, but someone like De Paul maybe obtainable. Or coutinho :ph34r:

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

If we are willing to sell him it’s cos we don’t think he can stay 100% fit 

whether we can get him through a medical is the question  could suppress the fee - mind you we got 35 mill for drinkwater with his issues 

That would be the only reason to sell Maddison if we think he's got a case of the Drinkwater's.

IIRC Drinkwater had a hip flexor problem and when we sold him to Chelsea he had about a dozen different injuries on anything but the hip flexor, he was probably protecting it by overcompensating and that's why he had loads of injuries elsewhere. If we think Maddison is going to be a crock then best get rid of him now before the market twigs.

Playing ability Maddison is top, top class. One of the best players in the league when firing.

11 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

He’s replaceable 

With who? Even a Maddison who was half fit for a lot of the season managed 8 goals and 7 assists this season. Where are we going to find a creative midfielder who will post those stats? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

With who? Even a Maddison who was half fit for a lot of the season managed 8 goals and 7 assists this season. Where are we going to find a creative midfielder who will post those stats? 

I don't think we would replace him like for like. I think we replace him with a more box-to-box midfielder who doesn't get as many goals or assists but who opens up more space and provides more defensive work.

Most teams play 4-3-3 nowadays, not 4-2-3-1. Maddison is one of the few genuine number 10s left in the PL.

Just now, Sampson said:

I don't think we would replace him like for like. I think we replace him with a more box-to-box midfielder who doesn't get as many goals or assists but who opens up more space and provides more defensive work.

Most teams play 4-3-3 nowadays, not 4-2-3-1. Maddison is one of the few genuine number 10s left in the PL.

But even if that was the plan (I think having a number 10 gives flexibility in shape and is a good thing) we would still need to replace his creativity and attacking output somewhere. I don’t see where that’s coming from without taking a massive risk on an unproven player. Sometimes it’s just better sticking with what you have.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

This thread is bonkers. You don't find players like Madison that often.

I don’t think it is…. And I genuinely don’t think Brendan is that keen, like I said, if Lee Congerface sat Brendan down closing the door to his office and said “I can get you Coutinho but madders will have to go” Brendan wouldn’t even think twice when saying yes. (Disclaimer I’m not saying I believe the Coutinho rumour purely an example).

Madders show flashes, but that’s all he has really done, injuries or not, he’s underwhelmed since he’s been here in my opinion.  

Edited by Pliskin
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

I don’t think it is…. And I genuinely don’t think Brendan is that keen, like I said, if Lee Congerface sat Brendan down closing the door to his office and said “I can get you Coutinho but madders will have to go” Brendan wouldn’t even think twice when saying yes. 

Madders show flashes, but that’s all he has really done, injuries or not, he’s underwhelmed since he’s been here in my opinion.  

Imagine a few years ago being told that that statement would be being written about Rudkin and it not even being that unrealistic. Incredible really 😂

If Madders stays and knuckles down, I'm happy. If he goes, then it's gotta be for big bucks and an adequate replacement lined up. Supposing there's any truth to the rumours, I sure as shite wouldn't complain if we ended up with Coutinho. There's also a younger option in Aouar who's rumoured to be attainable for as little as £25m.

• Like 1