Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shailen

Club vs country

Genuinely what excites you as a football fan more? When Leicester or England play in tournaments/competitive games (excl. qualifiers) 

There really is something nice about the whole country supporting one team together that you don't get at club level for obvious reasons. 

Bit of both for me. I get an equal rush out of seeing either Leicester or England do well.

I will say that I think it is a much bigger and more prestigious achievement as a player to inspire your team to a World Cup than any number of Champions Leagues. That's why I would rate the likes of the original Ronaldo, Zidane and Maradona above that of Messi/new Ronaldo (Messi had a golden opportunity in 2014 and completely blew it).

• Like 1

I wonder whether it is different for players. You see so many of them saying it's their dream to represent their country etc. but I wonder how many aren't actually that bothered and would rather go on holiday. It's much more socially unacceptable for players to suggest club over country, although a decent number of those called up must feel that way. eg Drinkwater and probably Vardy to some extent.

Club, not even close. I love it when the Euros and World Cups are on but tend to watch what I expect to be the most interesting matches. I'll hope England do well but feel very little attachment and don't go out of my way to watch matches involving "us". Whereas when Leicester are playing I absolutely will not miss out and the outcome of each match determines my mood for the following 24 hours pretty much

Lcfc first but during summer tournaments I forget about Leicester until England get knocked out. Do really look forward to tournaments and always really behind England. 

But when we do inevitably get knocked out, it isn't the same level of feeling as Leicester losing. For example is losing to Croatia in the semi I was really annoyed and deflated. But when we lost to Villa in the semis i was really fuming and was for much longer than the England game.

Hard to explain really. I don't care about England in non tournaments though, never go out of my way to watch qualifiers. But will ensure I'm off for work during tournaments

England get me excited for about 4/5 days in isolation every couple of years. It's great to be part of a shared experience with everyone pulling in the same direction, especially as I don't get that with LCFC all the time living here. I'm the definition of a fair weather England fan and I'm not ashamed of it at all. 

But LCFC and everything surrounding it are on my mind pretty much 24/7, it's not even a contest. 

It is, and has always been, a daft comparison.

Club will always have more investment because we play most weeks and in the actual city, but we'll never play each other, and we'll never play at the same time.  

There isn't a "choice" to be made.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

This thread has been done over and over, but I don't tire of making the same point. 

I'd get more joy if City won a corner than if England won a tournament. 

Have you seen our corners?

The year 2016 summed it up for me.

Club  -  Won the premier league, the most exciting season ever with 100% effort resulting in the European trips which were memorable for all the good reasons..

Country  -  Produced some of the most dull football ever played by a team that I support with severe lack of effort & dismal attitude from the majority of our "superstars"

My love affair with the national side started waning after the 2006 World Cup & had completely disappeared by the end of Euro 2016.

I'm one of the weirdos who takes quite a bit of satisfaction from moaning about England TBH. They're fvcking awful to watch and it makes me feel vindicated.

98% of their games are a waste of everyone's time and international breaks are the worst thing about the domestic season.

And let's face it, Ing-Ur-Lund "fans" are an embarrassment.

You've just got to look at the TV coverage of the beautiful people from Spain, Italy and Portugal only to cut to a swaying, shirtless, 25 stone Brexit Barry from Burnley who's just pissed himself after necking his 15th pint.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Genuinely would have said country 10 years ago.   But this metoric rise has by far been the most i have enjoyed football ever!  

Honestly my kids don't know how lucky they have been.   

I think if there were more (or any) Leicester players in the England team i would probably  be more torn. 

But definately club for me, well for the next few years at least.  

Damn think I have turned into a glory supporter.   

Always  has been club, by an absolute mile.

Was thinking the other day when the last time I was genuinely upset about an England loss and it was the penalty defeat against Portugal in 2006.

The World Cup Semi Final defeat had no impact on me whatsoever, just feel so disconnected from them, and International football as a whole to be fair. I would genuinely be fine if it was scrapped.

Edited by Rain King

18 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Always  has been club, by an absolute mile.

Was thinking the other day when the last time I was genuinely upset about an England loss and it was the penalty defeat against Portugal in 2006.

The World Cup Semi Final defeat had no impact on me whatsoever, just feel so disconnected from them, and International football as a whole to be fair. I would genuinely be fine if it was scrapped.

See, I love international football purely because you have to put a team together with what you've got and it's not about the wealthy clubs buying the talent. I just enjoy both really, but club comes first.