Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

England v Denmark Weds 07/07/21 20:00

1 hour ago, Sly said:

I think that illustrates just how one sided that game really was. 

I’ve seen outlandish claims that Denmark were the better team for a proportion of the game, until they made substations etc

It’s fair to say, it was largely one way traffic and despite the penalty being on the softer side, contact was made.

A few things people have forgotten which  weren’t discussed. 

* Backpass in the first 5 minutes? 

* Was the foul by Shaw, as bad as some of the other “fouls” that the red didn’t give? 

* The Denmark goal was practically in the  middle of the net, Pickford needs to be stopping that. 

* Kane would most likely have been given his penalty in the Premier League.

The better team won on the night and I think would in 8 out of 10 games. You can help but feel for Denmark though, as that defensive effort was heroic and they’ve generated a culture and they’ve been a magnificent story to watch. 

Now get well soon Eriksen! 

Very strange decision by the Denmark coaching staff to start building substations during the second half. That’s got to be a distraction for the players - couldn’t they at least have waited until after the game? Baffling.

6 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Very strange decision by the Denmark coaching staff to start building substations during the second half. That’s got to be a distraction for the players - couldn’t they at least have waited until after the game? Baffling.

I guess they were hoping that it would make them more electric in the final quarter.....

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Certainly a bad decision to leave yourself without a sub when you have 5.  I think they could see they were reliant on energy to stay in the game, and that if they did nothing they were going to lose.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
39 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Sterling played a blinder overall. Gets far too much stick. Better team won. X I 

BrInG gReAlIsH oN, bEsT pLaYeR sInCe GaZzA 

2 hours ago, Sly said:

I’ve seen outlandish claims that Denmark were the better team for a proportion of the game, until they made substations etc. 

It’s fair to say, it was largely one way traffic and despite the penalty being on the softer side, contact was made.

* Was the foul by Shaw, as bad as some of the other “fouls” that the red didn’t give? 

* The Denmark goal was practically in the  middle of the net, Pickford needs to be stopping that. 

The better team won on the night and I think would in 8 out of 10 games. You can help but feel for Denmark though, as that defensive effort was heroic and they’ve generated a culture and they’ve been a magnificent story to watch. 

Yeah I agree. Denmark are technically efficient and tactically astute but England were just the better team. The øen was lucky but England deserved to win. 

Better team won, was never really concerned until half time ET when Southgate went full Rodgers and bottled it against a team we had effectively beaten (that is why I think Italy will edge us on Sunday). As soon as their man went off though it looked like men vs boys, they were on their knees.

For all our domination our goals came from an OG and a penalty that never should have been given, which is about as Southgate as it gets.

7 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Kasper will be kicking himself as it was such a poor penalty he should have held it comfortably. Pushing it back to Kane was  a poor effort, around the post maybe, but never back to the taker. 

Penalty was clearly soft, but poor defending as they gave the ref a decision to make. Sterling was falling already, so pull out of the intended challenge. 

Was also surprised how unfit the Danes were compared to England. Maybe the extra travelling? Posters slagged GS off re his lack of substitutions, but we weren’t left with 10 men on the pitch at the end. 

All in all, I thought England managed the game a lot more professionally than Denmark and deserved the win. 

Kasper had a brilliant game so I felt for him.  I think it was difficult for KS to parry that penalty away as he actually dived beyond it and it him him in the midriff.  I must confess I let out a yelp of celebration when he saved it :ph34r:.  KS v Kane plus an unsavoury dive from Sterling.  I found myself wanting justice for Denmark and Kasper.  Couldn't help it.  At no point did I think that England wouldn't come out on top overall.

Similarly Pickford got some unfair stick for the Denmark goal imo.  It might have been central but he saw it late and it was swerving away from him.

58 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Sterling played a blinder overall. Gets far too much stick. Better team won. X I 

Too bad he's such a diving fånny. I hate when obviously supremely talented players resort to diving. He even did the swan's death when Kjær slid in for the OG, you know, just in case...

• Like 3

How did we play football without fans for over a year? Watching the scenes at Wembley last night was immense. Imagine playing that game last night in an empty Wembley. 

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
7 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

What’s with your agenda with Grealish?

No agenda. Just don't think 'he's the most exciting player we've had since Gazza'. Plenty of players as good as him or better in the squad. The agenda is those that have rallied against Southgate for not picking him. 

2 hours ago, Sly said:

I’ve seen outlandish claims that Denmark were the better team for a proportion of the game, until they made substations etc. 

Yet then you have some saying Spain have been shit, despite having similar stats in the games they failed to win.

I don't think you need to put that much effort into justifying or validating England's win. They dominated, they created chances, they defended brilliantly and pressed Denmark very well, especially in the second half. They were physically stronger and fitter.

But ultimately they won from a penalty that should not have been given. From my personal view it should have been overturned for a clear dive, but the extra ball on the pitch should have gotten the ref to whistle way before Sterling even gets the ball in the first place. He literally dribbles past another ball!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, murphy said:

Kasper had a brilliant game so I felt for him.  I think it was difficult for KS to parry that penalty away as he actually dived beyond it and it him him in the midriff.  I must confess I let out a yelp of celebration when he saved it :ph34r:.  KS v Kane plus an unsavoury dive from Sterling.  I found myself wanting justice for Denmark and Kasper.  Couldn't help it.  At no point did I think that England wouldn't come out on top overall.

Similarly Pickford got some unfair stick for the Denmark goal imo.  It might have been central but he saw it late and it was swerving away from him.

This was actually analysed after the game on German TV. It was spot on from Denmark. They showed the fact that there were two people over the ball, the non taker looked like he was lining it up. Damsgaard was out of view for Pickford. The second point was the Danish wall of three players in front and next to the England wall. They left a gap for Pickford to see the ball. Seconds before the freekick was taken, those three players moved across and blocked Pickford's view of the ball. By the time Pickford could see the ball, it was over the wall already and heading for goal.

It was just a brilliant freekick.

• Like 2

Overall, England deserved the win. However, it would have been nice for England to win it by scoring without the massive help from the ref. England were on top at that point but who knows if Denmark could have got themselves into a penalty shootout.

If that happened to us in the FA Cup final and we lost through that penalty, I would be gutted. Feel for Denmark and particularly Kasper, but they had a great tournament and can be proud.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sly said:

Not much been mentioned about the 'foul' given for that free-kick. The ref singled out one push/pull amongst all the jostling by both sides. Very harsh and inconsistent. 

Thought the ref seemed a tad overwhelmed by the occasion. 

5 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Overall, England deserved the win. However, it would have been nice for England to win it by scoring without the massive help from the ref. England were on top at that point but who knows if Denmark could have got themselves into a penalty shootout.

If that happened to us in the FA Cup final and we lost through that penalty, I would be gutted. Feel for Denmark and particularly Kasper, but they had a great tournament and can be proud.

You could say the same about the Denmark free kick. I think we got the right result in the end.

I also didn’t think the penalty was that controversial but that was probably my English bias and the copious amounts of alcohol consumed.

3 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I'm really pleased England are in the final but personally I feel like such a fair weather England fan its difficult to evoke anywhere near the same level of passion as I do for leicester. Leicester losing genuinely ruins my weekend / week, England lose and I don't feel a lot.

That and watching kane score a penalty beyond kasper is something I've spent the last 6 years despising and it felt all sorts of wrong celebrating. As good as the tournament has been as an England fan, the real quiz starts in August for me.

That's probably it, Leicester are a successful team now. My passion for England has been there from the start as its what got me infatuated with football in 1990, but it probably helped that Leicester were by and large a smaller outfit in the game in the 90's and most certainly for a 12-13 year stretch of this millennium. Now though we are right up there and the PL is so hyped up that we are swept up in it and rightly so, what we have experienced with Leicester in the last 10 years is just unbelievable.

Maybe that prevents our fans from being able to retain a real love of our national team, at the end of the day football is authentic when it comes to obsession and passion, you can't cheat that. Try all you might to be immersed in it but eventually it doesn't matter much to you.

What I would say is supporting our players above our national side though is stupid, do you think they care about that? Kasper has pretty much lived his entire life in England, he's as English as they come and yet he has no regard for our nations football team and rightly so, he's immensely proud to play for Denmark and its a huge deal for him to do so. He certainly doesn't need the support of English Leicester fans, save that for next month for the next 9 month slog and soak up these next few days as this is extraordinary times.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

This was actually analysed after the game on German TV. It was spot on from Denmark. They showed the fact that there were two people over the ball, the non taker looked like he was lining it up. Damsgaard was out of view for Pickford. The second point was the Danish wall of three players in front and next to the England wall. They left a gap for Pickford to see the ball. Seconds before the freekick was taken, those three players moved across and blocked Pickford's view of the ball. By the time Pickford could see the ball, it was over the wall already and heading for goal.

It was just a brilliant freekick.

But did the German TV analyse the awarding of the free kick?