Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

England v Denmark Weds 07/07/21 20:00

But the barge only happens because Sterling already throws himself that way. He throws himself after seeking the contact from Mæhle, who he barely touches. You need one specific camera angle just to see the lightest touch. Its a fabricated con and a dive in my opinion.

Rewarding and justifying it will just encourage players to continue doing it. 

6 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

From that angle, the Danish player looked to hook and impede Sterling's foot. Sterling seemed to see that before it happened and went down. I'm not sure I'd say it was an outright dive but there wasn't contact before Sterling went down.

Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 12.55.01.png

Sterling literally takes another step, he plants his left foot, gets hit again and then goes down. 

5 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

But the barge only happens because Sterling already throws himself that way. He throws himself after seeking the contact from Mæhle, who he barely touches. You need one specific camera angle just to see the lightest touch. Its a fabricated con and a dive in my opinion.

Rewarding and justifying it will just encourage players to continue doing it. 

Throws himself lollol

He barely deviates from his path to the ball, he certainly doesn't throw himself. The Danish player makes the vast majority of the movement. 

Edited by Babylon

If that a pen then there should be about 3 whenever a corner is taken. Sterling knows what he’s doing, he was fully waiting for the contact and going down. Need to cut this shit out of the game. Kane dived about 2-3 times as well but I didn’t see any Danish players doing it.

I hate this diving crap with a passion but the ref constantly rewarded these dives throughout the game. Refs need to wise up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Sterling literally takes another step, he plants his left foot, gets hit again and then goes down. 

He's on the way down after the first impediment. I'd say he predicted the impediment and went down for the penalty. It seems a clear impediment: the player on the right looks for Sterling's foot, not the ball.

9 minutes ago, Bert said:

I don’t know how people can say it’s not a penalty. Neither of them anywhere near the ball. Contact is made. It’s a foul all day long. 

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Kevin Doyle is an Irish professional footballer, try again. As he says, trying running at speed and having someone clip your knee and hip barge you and then see if it had no impact on your ability to move as you would have without being touched. 

First angle I wasn't sure last night, I thought there was contact but it looked a bit soft. I have no issue with it whatsoever from that angle.

I won't bother, it will just make me look like I'm digging in to sour grapes. I've stated what I think. It was anti-climactic, it felt unfair and I don't think that particular feeling will wash for another day or two. I am happy for my fellow Leicester fans in England - you should enjoy the success and best of luck in the final.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

Danish players doing it.

What like the Danish player who dropped two the ground for the free kick? Since when does holding your shirt make you fall to the floor?

Two different scenarios, same thing. The player exaggerated the contact to highlight the contact to the official. 

5 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

If that a pen then there should be about 3 whenever a corner is taken. Sterling knows what he’s doing, he was fully waiting for the contact and going down. Need to cut this shit out of the game. Kane dived about 2-3 times as well but I didn’t see any Danish players doing it.

I hate this diving crap with a passion but the ref constantly rewarded these dives throughout the game. Refs need to wise up.

By the law, yes there should be. Like at the last World Cup where they were giving everything. Unfortunately, the rules seem to be implemented however they feel. A bit like keepers being able to do whatever they want and rarely get punished.

Guest ttfn

I have to say I thought it was a dive but I think that Kevin Doyle angle shows that it’s a foul.

Dont get me wrong I’d still be annoyed if it got given against us but he’s impeded twice in the space of about half a second.

One thing I will say though is that I really dislike the whole “ref was bad for both sides” argument you get whenever something like this happens. Danish fans feel aggrieved, as any fan would do whose team have conceded a foul like that when it results in an 80% chance of a goal. The soft free kick Denmark got for their goal is not remotely the same thing as it had maybe a 20% chance of a goal being scored as a result.

This is something fans of “big clubs” do whenever we play them. They will get a very debatable decision go for them and then obfuscate by pointing to a few throw ins that should have gone their way. Football is a low scoring game where clear chances don’t come around often. Conceding a goal like that and losing a once-in-generation semi final like that is going to hurt.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

What like the Danish player who dropped two the ground for the free kick? Since when does holding your shirt make you fall to the floor?

Two different scenarios, same thing. The player exaggerated the contact to highlight the contact to the official. 

Come on lad I understand and bit of pulling but Shaw was no match for Christensen and he had got on his wrong side. That was as clear a free kick. If your man out strengthens you and he's breaking clear and I’m grabbing him I fully expect to concede that free kick.

The first Danish player tries to commit a foul (hooking Sterling's foot). Sterling goes down before that happens. And Sterling hits another Danish player on the way down.

I don't think it's a clear dive. But it's not a clear penalty. Unless you count impediments without contact as reasons for penalties*.

* And for this final, I'm choosing to count them....

14 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

Spot on. 

8 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

Come on lad I understand and bit of pulling but Shaw was no match for Christensen and he had got on his wrong side. That was as clear a free kick. If your man out strengthens you and he's breaking clear and I’m grabbing him I fully expect to concede that free kick.

Clear free kick or not, he dived to the floor and exaggerated contact did he not? Which is what people are accusing Sterling of doing. 

Oh and he didn't grab him, he didn't get on the wrong side. Shaw just stood his ground with his arm outstretched and their player ran into his arm and went down in every inch as dramatic fashion as sterling. 

Edited by Babylon

1 hour ago, GlennyFox55 said:

You could say the same about the Denmark free kick. I think we got the right result in the end.

I also didn’t think the penalty was that controversial but that was probably my English bias and the copious amounts of alcohol consumed.

Think we can agree that England probably deserved it looking at the stats/flow of the game.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

It certainly wasn’t 100% not a penalty as some might argue.

We have seen ones given for less .

I remember Vardy getting one against Spurs last game (the second one) and I thought that was soft. If those are constantly given, football would be ruined and we have 10-12 penalties every game.

This includes soft fouls all over the pitch, it needs stamping out before its too late.

Sterling anticipates contact and goes down, many players do it these days and I don't like it. Imagine if that was given in the 80s or 90s. There would be uproar, but these days people just accept it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I remember Vardy getting one against Spurs last game (the second one) and I thought that was soft. If those are constantly given, football would be ruined and we have 10-12 penalties every game.

This includes soft fouls all over the pitch, it needs stamping out before its too late.

Sterling anticipates contact and goes down, many players do it these days and I don't like it. Imagine if that was given in the 80s or 90s. There would be uproar, but these days people just accept it.

It's the way the game has evolved. It's played at a faster speed than previous decades and its become the norm that you only get the decision in your favour by hitting the deck. 

There have been 'soft' penalties awarded in every decade that I've been an active supporter (since the 70's). Remember Francis Lee? Liverpool won many titles based on dodgy penalties. It was well known that some refs were 'homers' (d'oh). 

19 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Clear free kick or not, he dived to the floor and exaggerated contact did he not? Which is what people are accusing Sterling of doing. 

Oh and he didn't grab him, he didn't get on the wrong side. Shaw just stood his ground with his arm outstretched and their player ran into his arm and went down in every inch as dramatic fashion as sterling. 

People are also choosing to ignore the Danish player that was trying to swap shirts with Kyle Walker during the same incident. 

25 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

To be fair this happened a lot back in the day down St Mags on a Sunday didn’t it?! 🤪

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

The booing of the Danish anthem was very odd. I understand against Germany and Scotland but Denmark? 

They shouldn't take it personally, we do it to everyone. It seems engrained in some fan cultures. 

What a match that was! So glad that England have finally got through to a major tournament final, and despite the controversy over the pen, I think on balance they deserved it. Feel a bit sorry for Kasper though, hero for them throughout and was very unlucky not to hold on after the spot kick save.